Converting IU to mg and vice versa

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

Converting IU to mg and vice versa

I'm just posting this to possibly save other people some annoyance because I got caught out not doing my homework or paying attention.:rolleyes:

I've been taking 2x500mg Vitamin E daily for PMS symptoms and thought I'd be smart and buy some 1000mg ones to save some money.:)

I ordered three bottles and they arrived a couple of weeks ago. This morning when I went to open one I realised I'd bought 1000IU which means they are only 670mg.:mad:

Then I began to wonder what the conversion was and found this on the gnc website...

How do I convert international units (IU) to milligrams?
      The majority of the time fat soluble vitamins are listed in international units (IU). On rare occasions, they may appear in metric units, which throws everyone for a loop. Once you know the equivalents, it's fairly simple to convert IU to mg, then all you need is pen and paper.

Vitamin E

Natural
      1 IU = 0.735 mg d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate
      1 IU = 0.671 mg d-alpha Tocopherol
      1 IU = 0.861 mg d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate
      Synthetic
      1 IU = 1 mg dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate
      1 IU = 0.91 mg dl-alpha Tocopherol

Vitamin A Acetate

1 IU = 0.344 mcg

Vitamin D

1 IU = 0.025 mcg
      40 IU = 1 mcg

Maybe I should already know this, perhaps even learnt it, but I forgot.:rolleyes:

Re: Converting IU to mg and vice versa

Sherrie - Hi! New to the forum and wanted to pass on some more health info regarding diabetes.
      Aside from low carb eating, the nopales cactus (a favorite in mexico) has been proven to signifigantly aid diabetics. I know of several people that are 'mild' diabetics and have improved their health as a result of including this in their diet.
      You may already know but just wanted to touch base in case.
      Thanks for y'alls help!
      Linde