The Tony Ferguson Diet - Tony Ferguson Weightloss Program

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. This is a place where you can seek free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, so we can get to know you! If you like us please share and spread the love!

Re: The Tony Ferguson Diet

sookie wrote:

I was looking through their forums seeing all these amazing numbers that people are losing every week

Hi Sookie

I've done TF ... yes the weight loss is pretty much instant & seems to be constant. Some of the girls on there have done fantastically & been able to maintain their loss. But I found that after my body settled down on Atkins ... ie toxins gone, hormones settled ... I was losing about the same amount of weight per week as I was on TF & I was eating a LOT more foods and enjoying them more.

Hi Sooki,
      I'm new to this site, but a few of the regulars would know me from a few other l/c ones.
      My wife (Marg) has suffered from pancreatitis for the last 5 years, and it happened after being on a 20gm per day of carb diet for about 6 months, all the Doctors jumped in and blamed it on the high fat she had been eating, she has had 14 pancreatic attacks since then each time being hospitalized, she had her gall bladder removed over 30 yrs ago.
      Since the first attack she has been on a low fat diet no more than 30 gm per day, and still she has these attacks, I have tried to convince her to try the low carb eating, but the doctors have her convinced that it is the fat that causes her attacks, she does not drink (which is one of the main trigger's for pancreatic).
      We don't know whet will happen next, as the doc wants to do some sort of exploring in the pancreatic duct.
      As you have suffered the pain, you know what she goes thru each time she has an attack, so please for get about any low fat advice you may have been given, it will not help with the problem of pancreatitis.

Cheers Nev.

Hey Sookie I replied to the blog post of Dr Eades that Malcolm linked to and just realised that he replied: Carbohydrates and Gallstones

Hello Dr Eades :)

I was wondering if you know anything in regards to diet after gallbladder removal? It seems surgeons/doctors warn their patients not to eat fatty foods after gallbladder surgery because they can still get stones in their ducts. I can find heaps of info relating low fat diets, rapid weight loss and oestrogen levels to gallstones, but am not having much luck when it comes to finding info relating diet and stones after it has been removed. I am mostly interested in whether a low carb, high fat diet could be a problem in this circumstance.

Thanks

Sherrie

Usually doctors recommend that people follow low-fat diets after gall bladder surgery because without a gall bladder these folks don’t have a way to release the amount of bile acids needed to emulsify a lot of fat, which would then cause the fat not to be absorbed and create all the problems that occur when fat isn’t absorbed. In due course the body adapts and it gets less and less problematic to eat more fat. If I had just had gall bladder surgery I would be a little careful about eating a big load of fat. I would work into it kind of slowly by starting with a lower-fat, higher-protein low-carb diet.

Cheers–

MRE

Hi Nev,

Thank you for sharing that - it's interesting to get that kind of perspective. Your poor wife - I couldn't imagine going through that pain so often.

Sherrie, thank you also for that information. I think I'll go easy on the fat for a while and build up to it. I'm really worried that I'll feel hungry a lot doing this and my understanding is the fat helps you feel full, so will really need to get the balance right to avoid falling off the wagon.

I'm aiming to start this after Australia Day - I have a BBQ to go to on AD and dont' want to muck up my two weeks induction. That gives me a few weeks to get hold of all the supplies I might need too.

Maybe just up your protein, plenty of lean meats, that should stop the hunger.Like Dr Eades said lower-fat, higher-protein low-carb ..
      You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
      You grow old because you stop laughing.

Hi everyone,

Sadly..... after losing 35kgs on the TF weight loss plan, Over the last 4 months, I have put 22kgs back on. I cant belive how fast I put back on the weight.

Anyway.... just wanted to say hi to everyone, and I wish you all the success in weight loss.

Welcome aboard Ouch!:)

I think you will find a new way of eating based on real whole foods from the very beginning much easier to stick to for the rest of your life (which is what you need to do to maintain weight loss). It is also much better for your health, and many people find the dramatic health benefits reason enough not to ever contemplate going back.

Anyway welcome to a more reasonable, science based approach! ;) Make sure even though you are a veteran of a pseudo low carb diet you ask as many questions as you need to see you quickly along the way to a much better and much more easily sustained way of life.
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

Welcome Ouch :)

Health risks aside, what you have experienced is one of the main reasons that very low calorie diets don't work. From what I have seen they have the least long term success rate out of any diet.

But don't give up on low carb!

Have a read around of some of the low carb diets out there, some popular ones are Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR) 2002 edition being the better one, Protein Power Lifeplan (PPLP), Life Without Bread and Natural Health and Weightloss.

Most of us are more familiar with DANDR but Malcom and a couple of others here use PPLP.

Maintaining weight loss on low carb can be done, the trick like any diet is making it a lifestyle, luckily low carb is very satiating which can make the lifestyle part easier.

hey Ouch..good work on losing 35 kilo that was a damn good effort...I started on TF too but found lowcarbing to be more freeing for me in that i am in control of what i eat as apposed to being told what to eat.. my diet is in my hands if i was to fail(which i won;t but if i was it would be my doing) I am way way more satisfied & foe longer with the foods i eat now ..Nice to see you here:)

Health risks aside, what you have experienced is one of the main reasons that very low calorie diets don't work. From what I have seen they have the least long term success rate out of any diet.

WHY do you think so many ppl who have done ww etc keep going back... cause the kg creep bakc and they go back to give their good earned $$ to a multi corp who gear their "so called diets" to keep them making $$$

Welcome Ouch, you will find this is the most happy of homes. However if you need to ever have a rant that is also alowed. ;)
      Bron Doingit
      :)

Sigh here is a question posted on the TF forums for the staff which a staff member has yet to reply to:

hi everyone im trying this for the first time im just worried about the fact that 4 weeks ago i had a baby and i m breast feeding ive been told that this diet is ok for it but im always so hungry when breastfeeding and i know i can increase my intake of cals but being that im only on day 2 and my body is going into diet mode is it ok to still feel like im starving?

Could someone registered there please tell her in that thread, to get off that diet please!!!!

And ask her who the heck told her the diet was okay???

Sherrie wrote:

Sigh here is a question posted on the TF forums for the staff which a staff member has yet to reply to:

Could someone registered there please tell her in that thread, to get off that diet please!!!!

And ask her who the heck told her the diet was okay???

Done. (sent her an email) - you apparently have to be a TF rocket scientist to post in that section ... I'm not ... phew!:p
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

There is a lot of miss information on the TF website and at the chemists and wellness centres.

Its a case of the Right Hand doesnt know what the Left Hand is doing. Most of the information received is different. It depends on who you ask.

Thanks Sherrie for looking after the TF'ers.... :)

Thanks Malcolm!

Crazy stuff Ouch, I have seen the staff give some silly advice on that forum. I was going to wait and see what the staff replied with but by then the girl could be in all sorts of trouble, shes still establishing a milk supply!

Their standard advice is that TF is not for pregnant or breast feeding mothers. However when the TF gurus:rolleyes: are having a weekend off, or if they don't know the answer (and admit it!! - not sure who they refer to then ... maybe TF himself?) then (as I found) no one else can answer either.

Hope she responds to the email.
      Started LC (PP) Dec 2003
      114/86.5/85
      BF 30+/17/15

Sounds like they have stopped people from replying to threads in that section?

The thing is she gave me the impression she was told it was okay, staff at chemist maybe?

I wonder how many are told stupid things like that whom never go to the forum to check if it's true?

Not just that I was looking through those questions and it didn't look like any had been answered in over a week so her question could have sat there for ages unanswered. Other breastfeeding mums wondering if they could do TF, may see her question and assume it must be okay so start doing it too...

Okay I found another silly answer.

Theres a lady doing high intensity exercise 5 days a week. She loves it so wants to tweak TF to suit as it is making her sick with all the exercise. She asks if she can have an extra serve of protein and that she doesn't careif it means slower weight loss as long as it is consistent. If memory serves me correct one protein serve is around 200 calories so not much.

You know what they tell her?

They tell her she can have half a serve of protein but no more then 3 times a week!!!

They then go on to say but you can have unlimited salad and allowed veggies!

Low carb veggies are great and all but they are not going to be enough calories or protein to fuel her exercise!