Low Carb Cream Cheese Muffins (Cheesecakes)

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

Low Carb Cream Cheese Muffins (Cheesecakes)

Very yummy low-carb cream cheese muffins / cheesecake which are proving to be quite popular with our members. Just over 2 carbs and under 200 cals each, enjoy!

I found an old low carb cream cheese muffin recipe on LCF and made up a batch. I usually hate baked cheesecakes but these were yummy!

I had some problems but I did add some cream so that may have been why, next time I won't. Our philly blocks are a little bigger then theirs but I just used two of our blocks anyway or buy 2 x 250g tubs of home brand cream cheese, which is cheaper.

The problem I had, was the tops cracked before they were finished cooking, so I turned my oven off a couple of minutes early - which is what others had been recommending but only to find later the bottoms were still a bit moist. These also sunk afterwards, despite cooling them slowly. Next time, I will cook longer at a lower heat and I will make a biscuit base. 350 is about 180 celcius, see here: measurements and conversions. Their cup size is a touch smaller then ours by about 15ml but I figure that wont matter much!

I should mention everyone recommends waiting until the next day before eating them because they're even better straight out of the fridge, just verified that it is true!!! :p

Cream Cheese Muffins

500g/2 x 8oz. packets Philadelphia cream cheese
      1/2 cup sweetener
      2 eggs
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla
      sprinkle of cinnamon

Preheat oven at 180c or 350 F

Soften cream cheese, add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth

Pour into 12 lined muffin pans and sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

Bake for 20 min.

My Version:

500g cream cheese
      2 large eggs
      cream (maybe 100ml)
      1/4 cup splenda
      tsp vanilla.
      cinnamon

I cook them in a 150-160C oven for 20 mins and leave them to cool in there, no cracks or sinking.

Nutritional info for original:

Sherrie wrote:

Here we go I crunched the numbers, they were just over 2g doing it my way:

500g cream cheese 13g carb 37.5 protein 168.5 fat 1758 cal
      2 large eggs 0.3g carb 11.4g protein 8.9g fat 125 cal
      1/2 tsp vanilla extract 0.3g carb 6 calories
      1/2 cup splenda 11.6g carb 93 cal

Total 25.2g carbs 48.9g protein 177.4g fat 1982 calories
      /12 2.1g carbs 4.1g protein 14.8g fat 165.2 calories

old recipe can be found here

Post was edited 2 times, last by “Sherrie”: tidyup ().

Re: Low Carb Cream Cheese Muffins (Cheesecakes)

They were less then 2g each, I got 12 muffins. These are suprisingly good for something so basic, they are not big muffins but nice all the same.

Here we go I crunched the numbers, they were just over 2g doing it my way:

500g cream cheese 13g carb 37.5 protein 168.5 fat 1758 cal
      2 large eggs 0.3g carb 11.4g protein 8.9g fat 125 cal
      1/2 tsp vanilla extract 0.3g carb 6 calories
      1/2 cup splenda 11.6g carb 93 cal

Total 25.2g carbs 48.9g protein 177.4g fat 1982 calories
      /12 2.1g carbs 4.1g protein 14.8g fat 165.2 calories

I froze mine. I put 2 in a sandwhich bag, they came out fine.

Ok I have a question for these as a variety, to use less sugar, can anyone who is a good cook let me know if they think it will work?

If not I will try them and let you know.

what would you reckon if I substituted some sugar with some Lindt 85% chocolate and some cream.
      My Blog
      First Mini Goal of 1.6 achieved - 30-7-2013

MINI GOAL

BIGGER GOAL

BIGGEST GOAL TO COME

Oh my goodness they sound divine. Gotta give them a try. Thanks Sherrie

I was wondering about "freezing" but my query has been answered. I thought I was going to have to play lady bountiful and pass them on to my friends, but no way, in the freezer they will go.

Do you think they would work successfuly with cottage cheese? as a bter we could then have them as a protein snack "real food" ?

From what I was reading when it comes to baked cheesecakes they really need the fat but you could give it a try, maybe just make half a batch just in case?