Yam Bean or Jicama

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

Yam Bean or Jicama

Oh yes!! Finally after searching Flemington Fruit Markets in Sydney and the Fyshwick Fruit Markets in Sydney unsuccesfully, I found the Yam Bean or Jicama in the big vegie shop in Woden, Canberra. It is everything wonderful that I have read about on the net.

It is a turnip shaped and size vegetable that is low in carbs. I peeled it then chopped it into chip sized pieces. The texture is that of a crisp apple or raw potato. The taste is that of apple but not as sweet or sour either. I doused it in lime juice as I read and just wanted to eat the lot!! I took it to parties and used it as a crudite in dips, with pieces of cheese etc. I just know that a sprinkle of chilli on it after the lime juice would be awesome too but just wanted it with the lime as I love citrus.

I can see that it would be super as a vegie baked or fried but it is unbeatable raw and would be a great addition to a salad or slaw grated.

So missing fruit on my really low carb diet for good blood sugar control but this is a big winner for me!
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Fearless in the face of dietary Fat. Increased fat, dropped carbs to very low low and reached target weight and more! Low carber for (my) Life[/FONT][/COLOR]