Power of Protein Vs Atkins

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. This is a place where you can seek free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, so we can get to know you! If you like us please share and spread the love!

Power of Protein Vs Atkins

I went on Atkins when I was 17 (now 23) and found the diet to be fantastic! My mum now has the book so instead of buying another copy I decided to buy the Power of Protein diet book by Chris Smith as I have heard people talk about it quite a lot.

I seem to be very confused between which one is the better low carb diet as Power of Protein seems to diss dairy products whereas atkins is all for getting your protein from diary products.

I understand the Power of Protein philosophy behind dairy and that it might slow your weight loss but using dairy in atkins 6 years ago worked really well for me.

Has anyone tried both and Power of Protein and Atkins and found a different rate of weight loss?

I really enjoy having dairy as part of a low carb diet because you can add in bits of cream to chicken bakes, cauliflower mash and sometimes as a special treat in coffee.

Re: Power of Protein Vs Atkins

Hi Rose-willow,
      Sorry I havn't tried PP I'm an atkins follower.
      You could always get it a shot, if you find it to restricting just switch over to having your dairy again and do LC.

In the end it's all about finding what works for you - all diets really are just a guide line. Make it your own, you've got to live with it.

Cheers & Welcome :D
      [CENTER]*************************************
      [CENTER]

[/CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]Lord, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      and the Wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I may have to kill because they p!$$ me off.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
      [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Thanks for the welcome Sherrie. yes! A low carb diet without cheesecake would be uncomfortable.

Alison, by Woden Fresh Fruit Markets do you mean the fruit store that is between Woolworths and Coles? What a bummer that Fyshwick doesn't sell it as usually they are all up with the weird and wonderful vegetables.

rose_willow wrote:

I went on Atkins when I was 17 (now 23) and found the diet to be fantastic! My mum now has the book so instead of buying another copy I decided to buy the Power of Protein diet book by Chris Smith as I have heard people talk about it quite a lot.

I seem to be very confused between which one is the better low carb diet as Power of Protein seems to diss dairy products whereas atkins is all for getting your protein from diary products.

I understand the Power of Protein philosophy behind dairy and that it might slow your weight loss but using dairy in atkins 6 years ago worked really well for me.

Has anyone tried both and Power of Protein and Atkins and found a different rate of weight loss?

I really enjoy having dairy as part of a low carb diet because you can add in bits of cream to chicken bakes, cauliflower mash and sometimes as a special treat in coffee.

I think having dairy in your diet makes it so much easier to stick to, you can make meals and snacks a real treat, I also find cheese is very filling and if I'm feeling hungry a slice of cheese is a great snack. Also as a female, dairy for your calcium is very important, no point being slim if your bones keep breaking. Jo

Hi there Rose Willow...what a great name you have lol! Just wanted to say "hi" to you, as like your self I am a newbie too, to this great forum...I've yet to start my LC change...am starting next Monday, as have an impossible week this week, so am going in 100% fresh starting then. Have you decided which program you are going to do yet? I brought that book the protein one last week too, cause I had ab no luck tracking down a copy of Aitkens, and so just brought it as a kind of guide. I am thinking will do a bit of a combo of the three (aitkens/bt/protein), if thats possible ie 3 days protein, no sugar and carb, and then up to 20% carbs after that...but to be honest I am abit confused so am probaly more likey to just wing it, but am very keen for any suggestions as what is a good way to start off!!! I just weighed myself, and was horrified to see I've crept up to 120kg..did'nt realise it was quite so bad, but hey am def feeling positive and keen for next monday to roll on. My big problem is drinking too many wines and then eating dinner really late every night ie 9pm+ , which sounds so wrong writing this down, but after a day with my gorgeous non stop willfull 3yr old son, all I am wanting is wine....so as I said its going to be tough, re the no wines and eating at a regular hour, it would be really cool to have someone whos starting off too to touch base with (as well as everyone else!!!)....anyways all the best with you, talk soon...have you started yet? :)

HI Willow,

I guess I just found that other post you mentioned! I just ready your other one on begining atkins.

I would really suggest finding the atkins book. My mum has the atkins book at the moment (she lives 12 hours drive away) and so I bought the PP book and found it to be not as helpful compared to atkins. The atkins book goes into deep detail about why low carb diets work and ketosis etc. I think after reading atkins you may decide to do the really low carb thing to kick start your weight loss for a month or so and then slowly introduce carbs like BT recommends. If my past is anything to go by, the minute you add carbs is the minute you start to slow weight loss. Your metabolism might be different though.

Hopefully you will get a sig soon and will get a tracker - this way I can see your weight loss and see how you are going. It is a big goal we have set ourselves to look slimmer by christmas!

Hi Willow and Rose Willow

I was reading your thread with some interest as I have been on BT for almost 3 months and have found when i'm on the forum that i wish i was an Atkins follower as they have all the yummy stuff to eat and snack on! Over the last few weeks i have added in a bit of cheese here and there and would really be interested to see which plans you have both decided to follow and whats working for you.

Goodluck with your journeys:)
      [FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Magenta"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Burn the SPANX![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Orange"]Live the life you dream of [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]:)