Low Fat and Very Low Calorie Diets: References
1. Everhart JE, Contributions of Obesity and Weight Loss to Gallstone Disease. Ann Intern Med. 1993 Nov 15;119(10):1029-35.
2. Weinsier et al, Relationship between rate of weight loss and gallstone formation, Am J Med 1995, 98.115
3. Festi D, Gallbladder motility and gallstone formation in obese patients following very low calorie diets. Use it (fat) to lose it (well). Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Jun;22(6):592-600.
4. Dieting and Gallstones, National institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases (NIDDK)
5. Sichieri et al, A prospective study of hospitalization with gallstone disease among women: role of dietary factors, fasting period, and dieting. Am J Public Health. 1991 Jul;81(7):880-4.
6. Spirt et al. Gallstone formation in obese women treated by a low-calorie diet. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995 Aug;19(8):593-5.
7. Syngal et al. Long-term weight patterns and risk for cholecystectomy in women. Ann Intern Med. 1999 Mar 16;130(6):471-7.
8. Mathus-Vliegen et al, Determinants of Gallbladder Kinetics in Obesity. Dig Dis Sci. 2004 Jan;49(1):9-16.
9. F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, Short-Term Medical Benefits and Adverse Effects of Weight Loss. Ann Intern Med, Oct 1993; 119:722 - 726.
10. Cirillo et al, Effect of Estrogen Therapy on Gallbladder Disease. JAMA. 2005 Jan 19;293(3):330-9.
11. Article: Gallstones and gallbladder disease, University of Maryland Medical Center
12. Nezam H. Afdhal, Gallbladder and Biliary Tract Diseases. Google Book Search.
13. Gebhard et al, The role of gallbladder emptying in gallstone formation during diet-induced rapid weight loss. Hepatology. 1996 Sep;24(3):544-8.
14. Storti et al, Physical activity and decreased risk of clinical gallstone disease among post-menopausal women. Prev Med. 2005 Sep-Oct;41(3-4):772-7.
15. Leitzmann et al, The Relation of Physical Activity to Risk for Symptomatic Gallstone Disease in Men. Ann Intern Med. 1998 Mar 15;128(6):417-25.
Rabbit Starvation, Sudden Deaths and Resting Metabolism:
16. Isner et al, Unexpected Death in Avid Dieters Using the Liquid-Protein-Modified-Fast Diet, Circulation. 60 (6): 1401. (1979
17. Van Itallie TB, Yang MU., Cardiac dysfunction in obese dieters: a potentially lethal complication of rapid, massive weight loss, Am J Clin Nutr. 1984 May;39(5):695-702.
18. HE Sours et al, Sudden death associated with very low calorie weight reduction regimens. Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Apr 1981; 34: 453 - 461.
19. Fisler, J S, Cardiac effects of starvation and semistarvation diets: safety and mechanisms of action, Am-J-Clin-Nutr. 1992 Jul; 56(1 Suppl): 230S-234S
20. Article: Sally Fallon, Nasty, Brutish and Short. The Weston A Price Foundation
21. Vilhjalmur Stefansson, My life With The Eskimo. Google Book Search, pg 27, 28 and 140.
22. Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Unsolved Mysteries of the Arctic. Google Book Search, pg 248-249
23. McClellan W. S & Du Bois E. F. Clinical calorimetry XLV. Prolonged meat diets with a study of kidney function and ketosis. J. Biol. Chem. 87:651-668, (1931) .
25. Cordain et al, Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets. AJCN Vol. 71, No. 3, 682-692, March 2000
26. Article: Loren Cordain, The Paleo Diet. Alternative Medicine Magazine, March 2002
27. Linn et al, Effect of long-term dietary protein intake on glucose metabolism in humans. Diabetologia (2000) 43: 1257–1265
28. Article: Nicola Scopinaro, THE PHYSIOLOGY OF WEIGHT CHANGE. International federation for the surgery of obesity
29. Article: Bowen R, Mechanism of Action and Physiologic Effects of Thyroid Hormones. Colorado State University.
30 . Barrows K, Snook JT, Effect of a high-protein, very-low-calorie diet on resting metabolism, thyroid hormones, and energy expenditure of obese middle-aged women, Am J Clin Nutr. 1987 Feb;45(2):391-8.
31 . Elliot et al, Sustained depression of the resting metabolic rate after massive weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jan;49(1):93-6.
32 . Leibel RL, Hirsch J, Diminished energy requirements in reduced-obese patients. Metabolism. 1984 Feb;33(2):164-70
33. Wadden et al, Effects of a very low calorie diet on weight, thyroid hormones and mood. Int J Obes. 1990 Mar;14(3):249-58.
34. Fricker et al, Energy-metabolism adaptation in obese adults on a very-low-calorie diet. AJCN, 1991 Apr;53(4):826-30.
35. Blog: Carol Bardelli, How Much Body Fat Can You Really Lose In A Week? Kudos For Low Carb