Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 610.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• good job sherrie!! i didn't know you had a blog either!! sheesh!

• Re: Told ya Soy was safe!

sambalam - - Health

this guy is an expert in something???? so he writes a couple of paragraphs on the pros and cons of soy, in his opinion. doesn't mean that soy is safe now does it!

• Evolution led to obesity pandemic

sambalam - - Health

bear in mind that startchy foods that early humans ate were a completely different food to what we have today. wild mainly, not hybruds crossed for extra yield and taste (like sweetness). but they would've supplemented their diet at times with starchy food for the simple reason that humans cannot survive on protein alone, and when they were hunting animals that were lean, they would have no choice.

• Bird Flu

sambalam - - Health

Quote from snez: “This email was handed out during our herbal medicine class.” interesting that such different info is around isn't it!! no wonder people never know what's going on...or maybe it's supposed to be that way!!

• Quote from Sherrie: “Theres another one that does the makeup (I don't wear makeup), starts with a m something like miessence, we talked about it here before in my old diary I think when I was getting rashes. I don't use SLS since you told me about it that day (do you remember?) but now also I don't use normal detergents and fabric softeners. My fabric softener by Ecologic costs me $8 but I have been using the same one for over a month maybe getting towards 2 now and theres still some left and I'…

• i never use any products that have sodium laurel sulphate or its derivatives in it. have a look at your shampoo, toothpaste or soap label and i'll bet it's in there. it is used in industry as an degreaser for things like engines. it is extremely drying. extremely. for shampoo and conditioner i use sulphate free from Melrose, i buy the 1 litre containers from $11 and $7 each (or thereabouts) from my healthfoods stores (have seen them in most HFS). last me quite a while. soap is usually whatever i…

• i haven't used fluroide toothpaste in about oh 10 years and i hardly ever drink tap water. my teeth are perfect, i've had 1 filling in 32 years and that was because my wisdom tooth was blocking my ability to clean one of back molars. we are really at the mercy of so many corrupt people.

• Bird Flu

sambalam - - Health

having just put together a book that covers this topic in some detail, i thought i'd post what i have learned (from an expert in immunology and virology): influenze A viruses are prone to antigenic drift or mutations over time and so flu viruses that show up now are (simply put) an old strain re-emerging with slightly different pathological properties. there are 15 known types of the avian flu virus (which is believe to be an interchange of genetic material from the bird influenza virus into the…

• the lamb one: 1 packet french onion soup 2 bacon stock cubes 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste red wine lamb shanks (or lamb roast) garlic cloves mix soup, cubes with a cup of hot water, add to pot, with tom paste and red wine (not too much, it gets really strong in the crockpot). stuff the garlic cloves into slits made in the lamb. put lamb in, cook till meat is falling off bone. you can put small onions in as well if you want too.

• celeriac is very nice! fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=celeriac

• Quote: “Sugar Soap is pretty toxic isn't it? I had some to wash walls when we rented a house and there were warnings to wear gloves and have the room well ventilated.” really? i am going to look at my bottle at home but i think it's just the warnings they have to put on all bottles because of the 0.0111% of the population that might be allergic! it's the best thing to wash walls with. i wipe down my bathroom with vinegar to prevent mould growing, it works. makes me want to eat fish 'n' chips tho…

• about time too... nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/31 Carbohydrate restriction improves the features of Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome may be defined by the response to carbohydrate restriction Jeff S Volek and Richard D Feinman Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:31 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-31 Published 16 November 2005 Abstract (provisional) Metabolic Syndrome (MetS) represents a constellation of markers that indicates a predisposition to diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other path…

• a better way?

sambalam - - Low Carb Living

hi nanda, and welcome. sherrie has been helping you along and i just wanted to say that knowing what you are doing is not good is a really good first step. as you say, it is hard to convince yourself to do the right thing, but i guess your best incentive is to look at your little feller (BTW is that him in your signature, he's a little honey!!). choosing what way you want to eat means doing a little looking around for what suits you. feel free to ask as many questions as you need. look forward t…

• sherrie my BF's asthma has been reduced with the non homogenised milk so it could be that. Quote: “Partly dreading it too as I don't want to hear that anti low carb/fat etc.. rubbish.” it's easier to say you don't eat processed or refined foods these days, people might think you are a hippy but they also think you're healthy...go figure!

• mercurynews.com/mld/merc...th/12861031.htm Ditch the rice cereal and mashed peas, and make way for enchiladas, curry and even - gasp! - hot peppers. It's time to discard everything you think you know about feeding babies. It turns out most advice parents get about weaning infants onto solid foods - even from pediatricians - is more myth than science. That's right, rice cereal may not be the best first food. Peanut butter doesn't have to wait until after the first birthday. Offering fruits before…

• Aspartame

sambalam - - Health

i react to aspartame. last week i had a drink with (unbeknownst to me) aspartame in it and it gave me the worst headaches i've ever had. i had the first one for 3 days and the one after that for 2, i then twigged and checked the label, then chucked the stuff out.

• this is really filling and good to freeze. 1 head cauli (break into florets) 1 head broccoli (as with cauli) 1-2 chicken breast (i used 1 but it was on steroids and rather large!) diced 1 onion chopped finely 1 clove garlic chopped finely 100-150g grated cheese of your choice (i used tasty) 1/2 cup cream 4 cups chicken stock a little oil in a large saucepana and quickly stir in onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft. add stock, cauli, broccoli and chicken. cook away until vegies soft. pop in…

• Cauli and bacon soup

sambalam - - Soup Recipes

This is a good substitute for potato and bacon soup. 2 cups cauliflower 1/2 small onion 1 chicken & 1 bacon stockcube added to 3 cups water 2 slices thick bacon diced 2 tbsp butter 1/2 c heavy cream salt & pepper to taste shredded cheddar cheese Separate cauliflower and cut into small pieces. Boil with chopped onion in chicken & bacon stock until tender. Fry bacon. Place cooked cauliflower in food processor with broth (how much broth depends on how thick you want it). Add butter, cream and chees…

• Late night snacks!

sambalam - - Snacks Galore

cholesterol is essential and critical to our health, clicnical evidence shows that cholesterol does not cause heart disease or other illnesses - look at some studies or research if you don't want to rely on 'skeptics' for information. you can go to the Omnivore site, and look up the references Anthony quotes in his research:)

• posted this on empower, it's a yummy recipe empowerfoods.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2511