Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 63.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Packaged Low Carb

peace+love - - Low Carb Beginners

I would definitely advise against blue vein cheese chips - you're house would reeeeeek! Even just plain cheddar is ideal for this. I just do small, but thinly spread mounds of cheese on baking paper and zap for 1:30 and then pat dry. If I have time, I make them under the grill as they get crispier, but it isn't necessary as such. They are definitely a limited intake food for me as I am not meant to have too much dairy - however hard cheeses are safer for me than cream cheese etc. And, yes, they …

• Quote from Sherrie: “How do you count your carbs?” I aim for around 25 grams of which the 5 grams after 20 should come from high fibre green vegetables. For me. the limitations on vegetables just doesn't work. I think we may have discussed this when I used to frequent these forums? I count on Fitday but to be honest don't feel it is that accurate so am looking for another method.

• Quote from ozdancer: “lemon or lime wedge with a few drops of stevia in soda water is THE BEST drink and absolutely no chemical artificial sweeteners. Even the 'no sugar added' drinks have natural sugars from the juice so can cause cravings in the sensitive. Be aware that there are some carbs in fresh lemon/lime and if you are counting carbs (i.e. Atkins) make sure you add these, particularly if you end up having a lot of these drinks across a day. They can add up fast if you are aiming for 20g …

• Quote from Sherrie: “Some of her recipes have been posted here before :)” Oh, fantastic, she seriously is amazing. I only cook a lot of her stuff when entertaining though otherwise portion control is a potential issue!

• I am a big fan of this blog - it hasn't been updated for ages as the owner is busy at university in Florida but she really is a low carb cooking genius. healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/ As someone who is gluten free and meant to (largely) avoid dairy, Lauren's ideas using coconut products are particularly good. Her bean cupcakes are brilliant, she has a phenomenal recipe for wraps, she makes coconut cream ice cream and more. Basically, she is awesome!

• Re: Packaged Low Carb

peace+love - - Low Carb Beginners

I try to steer clear of Atkins products unless desperate. My favourite bag-snacks are: Celery sticks Cheese chips (basically quality cheese roasted/zapped and patted dry until crispy to make 'chips') or string cheese sticks WATER! Well, Naturally sugarfree chocolate squares (I divide up the bars for snack purposes) Salted sunflower seeds in their shells (pack an extra baggie for the shells) these are really LC, satisfying and take a lifetime to eat - I eat them at the movies instead of popcorn s…

• I love LC cordial, but I try to avoid drinking too much of it. Instead I go for other options like popping a raspberry and some Stevia or Hermesetas in sparkling water, or using some flavouring (e.g. orange oil etc) with sweetener for an alternative option. My favourite LC cordials are still pretty high in carbs and I'd rather pop a lemon wedge in water and eat something else. I make lots of flavoured teas and drink them chilled, too.

• Re: shirataki noodles

peace+love - - Low Carb Living

I really want to find the fettucine style ones like they have in the US - has anyone seen those here?

• Today I am chugging down a jugful of ice water steeped in fresh mint leaves with 2 Hermesetas tablets in it for a bit of sweetness. So refreshing and yummy!

• I would like to go in for a bulk purchase if anyone is interested? This is the best price I have been able to get for erithrytol.

• Hi everyone, I am back here after a big old (fattening) break. I got sick late last year with appendicitis, then was in icu with asthma as well as a whole lot of other stuff including a job that made me so depressed. I have quit my job, started my dream business as a photographer and am back on the low carb, allergy food free diet! I look forward to hanging out here again. XX

• Re: Price Specials

peace+love - - Low Carb Living

Great idea!

• Re: Thyroid 101

peace+love - - Women and Health

Quote from Sherrie: “PL what were your results? I had some bloods including FT3 on Friday (had to really put my foot down to get it), will get results tomorrow, I forgot to eat carbs for a few days prior though.” High blood sugar, sluggish thyroid I've deleted soy from my diet, and increased coconut products. The Dr said "it could just be hormonal", but my brother has just come back with poor thyroid function results too, so I think it warrants further investigation.

• Quote from melvan: “The actual numbers of women who are unable to breastfeed is something like 1%. In the rest of cases it's usually misinformation or lack of support that causes women to think they can't. I'm not talking about your friend because I don't know the whole story there, but there's so much misinformation, even lactation consultants in hospitals dish it out. There was no mention of breastfeeding at all in the article, so we don't know if there was a problem with that or not.” I since…

• Quote from melvan: “Okay so they were broke, if they were THAT broke, why didn't she breastfeed? It's FREE for pity's sake.” Because not everyone can breastfeed? I am not defending the parents by any stretch of the imagination, they are clearly stupid. I just don't like the repeated assumption the breastfeeding (which I wholly support) is the only answer. My friend's baby is ill because she was under so much pressure to breastfeed and was struggling, however she had the nous to start ignoring th…

• Quote from Sherrie: “PL if you are making it for guests? make a test one first as at least in low carb pavs, sweeteners do not have the same effect, it won't be quite as crisp etc. In the desserts thread there's a few pav recipes as well, they are not quite the same as a normal pav with sugar but still taste great.” I made a hazelnut meringue cake with melted well naturally chocolate and it worked really well - it's just meringue with hazelnut flour mixed through carefully. I used Xylitol. My le…

• Delicious Porridge Recipe!

peace+love - - Breakfast

Ingredients: 2 Tablespoons Linseed Meal 1/2 Cup Boiling Water 1 Tablespoon Psyllium Husks 1 Teaspoon Xylitol 1 "Scoop" Stevia 25ml Lactose Free Cream Directions: 1. Microwave Hot Water and Linseed Meal for 45 seconds 2. Add Cream and zap for a further 45 seconds 3. Stir through stevia, xylitol and cream Tastes like delicious, decadent and creamy porridge! Excellent with a few frozen raspberries stirred through. I found this super easy, very warming on this freezing morning and it kept me full fr…

• Re: Thyroid 101

peace+love - - Women and Health

Hmmm, it's taking ages to get them back. I am seeing the Dr. on Tuesday. I hate condoms and find them extremely irritating. Obviously I would use them if I was ever a one night stand kind of girl, but I have only ever been in two long term relationships. *overshare* I also am meant to try and avoid ovulating every month because my period pain is so bad.

• My father lost a load of weight on it the first time he did it - too much actually. However he was not eating the franken foods and his only source of sugars was an apple and 5 Allen's lollies. For lunches he had soup and salad and for dinner he had protein and salad. He found it hard to stick to, and ended up doing WW with the ice creams etc and not losing permanently but he won't accept that low fat and higher carb is bad.

• I use half the splenda a lot of the time...it's too overpowering otherwise. It's Passover coming up this week (for Jewish people) and this is perfect for it. I am going to make this and a lemon chiffon pie with flax and almond crust as well.