Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 283.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Quote from Snez: “Malcolm said: "As for glycogen, I suggest you ask a biochemist like Gabe Guzman who actually spends his days measuring things like that. If he says glycogen levels are not lowered by low carb (as he has told me) would you believe him? He also does a party piece on the whole "depletion" number - apparently unless you are in true starvation even muscle glycogen is never truly depleted, and you need to be doing some pretty strenuous exercise to make a dent in it at all - the body …

• Quote from Sherrie: “ And if you reread your comments you have been nick picking on fluid loss not just that pertaining to muscle glycogen.” *Sigh* Well at least my stirring got you looking at this more critically, but as I said as you couldn't, (and apparently still can't) see this in the spirit it was intended, it won't happen again.

• Interesting. Now that you mention it I guess it makes sense that Lyle could be the source given his CKD (and intensive exercise) bias. Pretty short of detail/evidence too (it is well accepted/established fact :rolleyes:) apart from that last paper, but like the first, it doesn't measure glycogen directly, only potassium which must be suspect given that potassium and other electrolytes are flushed during any diuretic process (and I think we accept there are a multitude of causes for that). The fi…

• You have read studies that measure glycogen depletion leading to water loss? Well that is great!:) Quote them! Isn't this what I have been asking for all along? I would honestly love to see them because the only place I have seen this theory is where it is constantly repeated on message boards, and I've never seen an iota of evidence in support.

• Sherrie honestly!:( I should give up trying to tease you into action I can see that, but just so we are clear, I don't want you to "pretend" anything just as I don't want you to assume anything, nor believe that something might be true without good supporting evidence. This is why I suggested to you to do your own search ... more than once actually! - as clearly you won't just take it from me (and neither should you). The great thing about low carb is that it is supported and founded on a solid …

• So it couldn't possibly be a combination of the two then? I guess any sudden change is just water then ... so when one of your ladies has a visit from the "whoosh fairy" you hose down their enthusiasm with "ah, but it's just water weight!"

• Far be it from me to throw stones ... I REALLY need to get to the tip this weekend. People are starting to talk about the size of my recycling pile ... :o;)

• Quote from Sherrie: “Malcolm by bad day I am meaning, eating carbohydrates and that this overnight fluid gain is in relation to carbohydrate intake in the day before and that after 2 or so days of low carb eating it goes again.” I know you do, but note how you leap to the assumption/conclusion that any gain is all fluid. It might be although that is unlikely, but whatever it is, it ain't science!;)

• Quote from Malcolm: “6 lost 4 either gained or stayed the same” Quote from Sherrie: “In regards to that paper, 6 lost fluid, 1 no change and 3 gained ” Picky! Yes, one study doesn't prove anything. I said I didn't have time to search more (there are better studies). How about you, done any work yet?:p

• Quote from nunge: “Sorry Moonbeam for hijacking your site:) Malcom i went to that site and entered in my measurements and my body fat was 25.84:eek::D However i know that it will be wrong because i dont take my measurements for my waist at the umbical ( im assuming they mean the bellybutton) i take mine higher than that as that appears to be my true waist line. I have a high waist line it would appear:confused: My belly button area is what i would consider my hip area:D I guessed on my forearms …

• Quote from Sherrie: “In regards to that paper, 6 lost fluid, 1 no change and 3 gained which would effect the mean number 300grams. ” Isn't that what I said? Go on, do your own search!!

• Quote from Sherrie: “Okay Malcolm if this is true, what explains the overnight fluid gain of way more then what would be stored in liver glycogen, from a bad day of eating in people whom have had ample time to adapt that is quickly gone within the preceding couple of days?” Well at least we agree it's not glycogen then!:) As I alluded to before there are a multitude of things that affect fluid retention (I'm sure you will agree that PMS, pregnancy, the menopause, hypothyroidism, medication, salt…

• Quote from Cazza: “I drank red wine last night ...” Ah, so I caught you on an 'off' day the day before did I?:p

• Quote from Sherrie: “As you know I disagree! ” Yes but with which bit? As you also know I don't have a lot of patience with low carbing supporters who pour scorn on scientific research which supposedly supports the low fat paradigm but doesn't stand up to the most basic scrutiny ... but then don't appear to use the same standards when it comes to low carb myths which come from within. IMO 'our' standards need to be if anything, even higher. I really should be working today - seemed to have waste…

• No it isn't. Sorry, meant to add that it may have the opposite effect (lowering blood sugar) as long as it comes in a low carb form - especially for low carbers as the metabolism of alcohol interferes with both lipolysis (fat burning) as well as gluconeogenisis (synthesis of glucose from protein).

• Quote from Sherrie: “Your using body fat scales? Well these scales rely on hydration to reach this BF percentage, when your in ketosis you are not carrying as much fluid/glycogen and thus it incorrectly calculates your BF at a higher percentage then it really is.” Domestic body fat scales are just inaccurate/unreliable period - no need to get into the glycogen depletion and water retention myths about low carb. (Low cab doesn't of itself deplete glycogen, again period. But even if it did the amo…

• Quote from Shez: “Hmmm yes, mine was 6.2 when the Dr asked how I felt about taking meds. When I told him No he told me it's only recently the guidelines have been changed to cover that level. Previously I wouldn't have qualified for a PBS rebate to get the script :rolleyes:” Mary Enig (google her!) who is probably the world expert when it comes to fats and (because of the supposed association) cholesterol, tells the story about being at a conference in the mid eighties I think, where it was to b…

• Quote from nunge: “Hi there:) I have been reading the last few pages with interest.Im not a diabetic but i am concerned about my cholesterol as heart attacks run in my mums side of the family.I am going to doctors today to find out the results of my own tests done a week and a bit ago. What is a normal cholesterol level these days? And is that broken up into your good fats and bad fats?” Sadly they don't even talk about averages or ranges any more - just what some drug company funded lunatic thi…

• Quote from Debba: “Kidney - Yes have had quite a bit of protein several years ago. I cant remember the numbers but I know my dr was very concerned about it. They made me do two 24 hour tests at that time as she thought I did it wrong. But I did reverse the protein. I havent had any protein for a while now. But no-liver & thyroid-she always does those tests. So she is just checking. I take it around 8 pm. As for as I know its long lasting-Lantus. She said it works for approx 24 hours?? Is 20 unit…

• Re: Confused and Need Help

Malcolm - - Diabetes and Low Carb

Good about the hypos, but still an idea to keep a close check on how low you are going now you are low carbing. Do you take the insulin immediately before bed? ... and do you know what type you take (ie how fast acting/long lasting it is)? A cholesterol of 6 is around what used to be seen as normal ... before the drug companies arranged for the guidelines to be changed ... Apart from the A1c and the cholesterol your tests are for kidney and liver function and thyroid numbers. Have you had any is…