Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 55.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Thanks jojo, I should say that lowering carbs has worked considerably, just hasn't got him over the finish line. His blood sugar was high 20s, into the 30s. Now he sort of sits around 10-15. And he needs to be about 5-8 and nothing we are doing is getting him there. We're having a lovely low-carb dinner tonight of steak, greek salad (no tomato, not even olives for him) and some low carb coleslaw with the good whole egg mayo. That sort of stuff would have me in ketosis. I don't understand why it …

• Hi all, I am hoping you can help me again, my head is spinning right now. DH has had his insulin increased and is eating bugger all carbs and STILL his blood sugar is too high. It isn't coming down. He went to see an endo today who has decided his pancreas is shot from years of him not actually doing the right thing. So he is being moved from a once a day slow release insulin to becoming an injecting machine with insulin and metformin with every meal. HOWEVER the endo has said to DH that with so…

• Well he's been doing much better over the last few weeks. He's cut out most carbs. I think he has come to the conclusion by himself that I wasn't full of crap and he could see what was happening to his blood sugar. He's lowered his blood sugar levels considerably (still not perfect, but much better). He's increased his insulin as well. I think we are finally on the right track with this. I've been pinching lots of recipes off of here. He's in love with the cheesecake you make with the diet jelly…

• Gee it has been a while since I posted that. My DH got worse and worse and worse and... if it was possible, even WORSE. He is now on insulin, as of several weeks ago (my post from last year indicated he was going to start it back then - he avoided his doctor and the issue for THAT long!) and when that began he seemed to think that it was magically going to fix everything. He has been very wrong and it's just hideous. We're now at logger heads because all the "good" low GI carbs are sending his b…

• Well its still early days... but my husband has been a VERY good boy - I think that news frightened the you know what out of him. He's been testing his blood sugar several times a day, taking medication and seems to be coming round to the whole low carb WoE somewhat! He's found out the hard way that things he assumes are "ok" to eat really aren't. Two minute noodles claim to be low GI on the pack, for example, but when he ate a pack it sent his blood haywire - because there's as much carbs in th…

• I've gotten into a bit of a rut myself in the last few weeks and seem to be making the same 4-5 meals over and over again and I'm getting a bit sick of it, so I can see he might be too and hence he's going off and eating other things. There's a whole stack of great recipes out there (on this site alone!) that I need to start trying to keep it interesting.

• I should clarify that I didn't eat any corn last night, he decided to make some for himself and the kids, I opted out due to my WOE!

• Thank you guys for your responses. He's going to see an endochrinologist next week and that's when he will probably start with insulin. Until then he is still (supposed to be) taking Metformin (which he has "forgotten" at least twice) and has at least made an effort to test his BSL - something he hasn't done for more than 2 years (although he hasn't done it twice a day like he is supposed to, even in the face of this bad news). I will give him all the support he needs, I just need him to be will…

• I know! The next time he saw someone they asked him what he was eating and he mentioned the jasmine rice and they freaked and said "STOP eating that! Switch to basmati!" Which he did. And that has meant he has used it as a greenlight to pile his plate high with basmati rice and then go back for seconds because he's "allowed" to eat it.

• Thanks... I have been sitting here at my desk at work trying not to cry all day. This news was just my worst fears confirmed, really. I have known for a long time he was in a lot of trouble, even if he wouldn't recognise it himself. I hear what you're saying about the medical folks who seem to have no idea. I remember sitting in with him once a few years ago while a nutritionist was going through what he should eat. They told him to eat jasmine rice which turned out to be one of the worst things…

• I think there must just be a lot of denial and/or arrogance happening there. Is it a male thing? I don't understand at all. If a doctor said to me tomorrow that if I didn't change my diet I would die, I would crap myself and I would do the right thing, end of story. Sure I might have a whinge about it, and I might not get the hang of it straight away (the diabetes stuff is so hit and miss, I know from my own experience with checking my blood sugar things that were supposedly "OK" to eat would sp…

• Thanks Sherrie, I'll see what I can find out. I won't let it discourage me, don't worry! If it turns out he has to limit protein I'll just try to make sure we include some "good" carbohydrate options for him like wholegrains etc. I just wish that he'd give it a real go and not eat all the rubbish. His excuse is that he just *can't* stop and is always hungry, and I've tried to explain that its the carbs that make him hungry and its a vicious circle. I don't get so many cravings on this WOE and I …

• Hi everyone, My other half was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 10 years ago, before I met him. Since I have known him he has not looked after himself like he should. He was good for a while, but the last few years he has been appalling. Refusing to take medication, refusing to eat properly, refusing to test his blood sugar etc etc etc. I am at my wits end with him – and a bit angry too – because he has just found out that he has some kidney damage and about to start taking insulin twice a d…

• Re: Lowest carb chocolate ?

sookie - - Low Carb Living

I've tried googling but to no avail. I just remember when I bought it I compared the sugar free milk choc with the sugar free dark choc and the latter had heaps less carbs. I don't know how it compares to Cadbury Light etc though.

• Re: Lowest carb chocolate ?

sookie - - Low Carb Living

I bought this - Coco Farm No Added Sugar Dark Chocolate - from my health food shop a few weeks ago to make a choc mousse with. I can't remember what the carb count was, but it was pretty low. They didn't have those other flavours to try though. They look interesting.

• I've either eaten something dodgy or I've picked up some sort of bug (although my kids are fine so I'm thinking its the former). I've got sort of gastro-ish symptoms. YUCK. So at the moment I'm not tempted to eat ANYTHING, let alone the wrong things!

• A colleague of mine revealed the other day in the lunchroom that she's doing TF. I have always looked at her lunches and thought they look a lot like mine - lots of salad with some meat (usually chicken). She says she's lost 7kg since December. I figured the food I see her eat at lunch is probably the only non-shake stuff she gets all day.

• I might give this one a try next week! I know people have to find creative ways of sneaking veggies to their children - I have two toddlers and neither of them require this, they're fantastic. My grown up DH is another matter entirely!

• Re: Victoria - where are you?

sookie - - Meet and Greet

I live in the north-eastern suburbs of Melbourne - working in the CBD

• That does look sensational. I wonder if you can taste the zucchini? I'm having to sneak it into things because DH keeps complaining about having to eat it.