Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 77.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Progress....but..!!!

Paolo - - Low Carb Beginners

Well today was my second weigh in and to my surprise I am up 1.6kg on last week. 1kg is muscle and the rest must be fat as my percentage of body fat was up as well. I must say that I am somewhat surprised with the results as despite the increase in weight and % of body fat, I lost another 6cm around the waist, 2cm off my neck, 2cm off each arm and 1.5cm off each leg. I have been quite focussed this time and I'm into my third week without alcohol and the only changes that I have made with the pro…

• Re: Hello again..!!

Thanks for the support. I think maybe the best thing for me will be to take what I feel is the best from the Ultralite program and tweak it to suit myself. For example, I will reduce the carbs and increase the proteins, though not out of sight. I have ceased consuming alcohol and feel comfortable about this as it seems to assist me to stay in or close to ketosis. I think I'll be happier and more satiated if I decrease the carbs to around 20 to 25 grams/day and increase the protein with more freq…

Thanks Ladies, Your comments are very much appreciated. One thing that I found out today that I must say has shocked me is that on the Ultralite Program we are encouraged to have 4 sachets per day of soup or coffee/choc. I happened to read the ingredients today and just one sachet of soup has 4.6grams of Carbs, so that would mean 18.4 grams/day. If I combine this with the allowable 25grams of carbs on the eating program, then I'm taking in around 43 grams of carbs per day. This is WAY too much, …

That certainly does make sense Sherrie, however what actually happens with the digestive system if there is food in the system, late at night? Does the food simply remain undigested and is then metabolised the next day when the 'system' kicks back into full gear or would it be digested during the night at a much slower rate and then stored; as the requirement for energy output is so substantially lower? Maybe I should ask my doc. Thanks for the input. Paulee.

I don't have enough knowledge in respect to the metabolism working during the night with a small pre-bed snack. The consultant that I see said that eating later at night ensures weight GAIN as the metabolism slows down and the food is not 'burnt' so to speak. However, if I think logically about this, then wouldn't the food simply remain in the stomach, undigested until the next morning, when the metabolism kicked into gear again? Would you have any literature or references in respect to the meta…

• Hello again..!!

Hi everyone, I'm finally back, finally on anti-depressants and finally motivated enough to give LC another go. I have been on the Ultra Lite program for just over a week and lost 4.4kgs in the first week, which seemed to have meant more to my consultant than to me, as I figure it was mostly fluid and muscle, as the percentage of fat was frational. I really want to give this a shot this time and am quietly confident as my life has never been better in terms of my mental health. It took me such a …

• HOLY CHRIST...!!!

Well, I have just finished a quick read of the 'Getting Started Thread' and it has occurred to me that the reason I am so large, despite convincing myself that I have lead a predominantly low-carb eating regime, is portion sizes. 80 to 100 grams of protein per day?? You're kidding me, right? I have been having at least 150 grams per meal, with tonnes of fats in the way of chicken skin, pork skin, cheeses etc. I have tried VERY hard to cut out carbs but thus far failed, with my wek points being r…

• Re: Thyroid 101

Paolo - - Women and Health

Thanks for that Sherrie. I must say, I am absolutely stunned at the importance of the Thyroid, so I will now be doing quite a bit of reading and scheduling some tests for both my wife and myself. Thanks again for your assistance. Paulee.

• Re: Hoping against hope

Paolo - - Introduce Yourself

Hi Sherrie, Thanks for the post and apologies for the late reply. Busy..!! Haven't had my thyroid or hormones checked yet. I am guessing that I have been having a 'wholistic' challenge. I feel as though I self saboutage too much and seek comfort in food as a counter balance to stress and stressors. I always feel as though I am full of good intentions, but somehow cannot seem to convert this into structured action and progress. Frustration is but one word that comes to mind, especially when I kno…

• Hoping against hope

Paolo - - Introduce Yourself

Well, Hi to all. I was previously a 'participant' on this site and 'tried' to low carb it but was a miserable failure and of course miserable most of the time. I somehow must have convinced myself that being part of the site and at least trying would bring results and after all, I wasn't the largest person around. There were larger people that I saw everyday, so this justified the indiscretions and 'bad choices'. Net result = Much larger than I have ever, ever been. Constant remarks from people …

• Nope, I've never had my thyroid checked and thought that it was the domain of women, but now that I think of it, there's no reason why it couldn't affect both genders. I have to go back to my doc after my stress test on Friday, so I'll ask for some more bloods to be done. Thanks for that. Paulee

• I'm not sure what the greatest challenge is. It seems to be just sticking with it and mixing exercise to achieve optimum results. I feel so large that I am disgusted and have often told my wife that the feelings are sheer hatred of myself. I've never given up on the thought and belief of low carb and of one day getting where I need and want to be, but I'm really confused as to why I just can't get it together. I've discussed it with my pysch, but we haven't focussed on it as I've been busy tryin…

• Well, Here I am again, but this time with a few more challenges. I just can't seem to crack the low carb life. What I mean, is that I just can't seem to get started and stick with it. Parts of me think I have a death wish and part of me is concerned that if so, then I may be headed in the right direction, as Friday I have a stress test for what ever the heck is happening in my chest/heart. This is on top of heart disease in the family and a heart op at age 3. Just to round things off, I'm waitin…

• Re: How frustrating.

Paolo - - Motivation & Resolve

Hi Sherrie, My wife and I have been very busy in the last number of months. My wife's Father was very ill and we had to rush off to Thailand and he passed away within 24 hours of our getting there. Then, when we returned we learnt within 3 days that our girls were being abused by their uncle and some other people, so we had to rush off again, apply for visa's and bring them back to Australia. Neither of us have had any luck in terms of weight loss and I personally feel quite dreaful about this. …

• Quote from Shez: “I'm guessing that's a BS site :eek:” Certainly sounds like it when you read the names of the Doctors involved in the so called study: Kramer Shifteer/Shafteer Lictepeen But I do know, without a doubt, that the 'opposite' certainly reduces my risk to a huge amount of other troubles. No study needed in that area, that's for sure. Paulee.

• Reading Food Labels.

How does one read food labels? For example, the below is an extract from a website showing carbs in vegetables: Food Item: Cabbage, raw Food Quantity: 1 cup Carbs: 3.9g Dietary Fiber: 1.6g Net Carbs: 2.3g They appear to subtract the Fibre from the carbs to get net carbs. I bought some Tomato Paste yesterday and the label said: Carbs – 2.2gms/100grams Sugar 2.0gms/100grams Dietary Fibre 4.0gms. Does this mean the net carbs/100gms is .2? I'm a bit confused. Thank you. Paulee.

Quote from LC_Dave: “I am a perpetual Diet failure. Even a failure at this Low Carb thing. All we can do is pick ourselves up and get re-focussed.” I thought I had posted this yesterday, but obviously hit the wrong button. In my opinion, failure is where one completely gives up, walks away and never returns, abandoning all hope and 'resigning', so to speak. In this context, I have never seen ANY failures on this site. Just people re-committing when needed, getting back up when 'down', searching,…

Quote from 67daisygirl: “Paolo , I can so relate to your post , at the moment I am having many many struggles ( all self inflicted I'm afraid ), I am determined to give it a better shot tomorrow though . I wish you all the very best and understand totally where you are coming from , I also feel "disgusted" with myself . Tomorrow is our day to feel great about ourselves again though , okay so are you in ? All the best to you and Kwan Daisy” Thanks for the support and understanding and YES, we are…

Quote from TraceyEccles: “quite true sherrie, i felt slimmer this week - clothes looser but scales say no loss, well they did before i smashed them” What a superb comment. I couldn't help but laugh and reflect on how close I got to doing the same. Kwan did calmly remind me that we had in fact gone off the rails a bit over the last 2 weeks, primarily due to long term stressors....bugger it..!! So when I factor that in, it's not a shock that I am up, but somewhat surprising by the amount. I think …

• How frustrating.

We weighed in today and despite feeling like some weight has come off, I am about 2kgs up and Kwan is stable. I feel like ripping my $%#^ing hair out. Not impressed one bit.