Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 64.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Glycemic Load?

rubber_chicken - - Low Carb Living

Here's a good web site for diabetes. What I found most interesting, in the food section, is a list of foods (lots of Australian products in it too) with Glycemic indexes, and also something called Glycemic Load. This is based on the GI, but takes into account available carbs in a serving. Could this be a good indicator of the right sort of foods to eat for weight loss? For example, if you are on a low carb diet, but really really must have bread, I think a low GL bread would be a good choice. di…

• Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to post, but my browser did it when I refreshed a page after using a back button !!! bloody computers

• Quote: “Originally posted by Sherrie Hey Rubber Chicken, good to see you back.” Thanks Quote: “[ Untill you make up your mind, you could always start of with a modified low carb diet where say you consume one or two carb meals (breakfast/lunch) then low carb for the rest of the day. But if you do go for low GI carbs. If you have no progress then cut the carb meals out. Good Luck ” It's a good plan. Probably will do that.

• Quote: “Originally posted by sambalam i think if you've had success in the past with one program then why not stick to it? ” That was my plan, but as breakfast was probably the hardest part for me, it might be nice to be able to have carbs earlier in the day Quote: “Originally posted by sambalam not eating carbs in the evening makes sense, as you won't be doing much exercise so you won't burn it off. but does your friend eaet carbs during the day? what kind? i haven't heard of a program particul…

• I lost 14 kg on a LC diet earlier this year, but, for various reasons, I have been taking a break from dieting. Now, I will be going back on LC soon(ish, having gained about 4 kg) and I have noticed a few new ideas out there. One person at work has lost a lot of weight on a 'No-carbs after 3(pm)' diet. Does anyone have any more info on what this is about? The other thing was a pill. From what I could gather, it is used to counteract the carbs in a diet, thus allowing more carbs to be consumed wh…

• A little worried

Quote: “Originally posted by Delia Hi Sherrie I don't drink any coffee and only an occasional tea. I have lost 5k but have not lost any for over a week now so I am a little worried. ” I find that my weight loss comes in fits and starts, and I think others have found the same. Sometimes, it needs something to trigger off the next weight loss. Try cutting down calories for a short period, or do a bit of extra exercise for a while. Here's something else that works for me (don't know if the others w…

• A little worried

Interesting question Sherrie. I thought caffeine was not encouraged because it stalled weight loss. I didn't think it could effect the production of ketones however. (as someone who bounces in and out of ketosis according to the strips I am interested in this)

• Has anyone looked at it? Seems like a strange mixture of idea's - sorta low carb, but not entirely...

• Isomalt

Quote: “Originally posted by SandyJ Sorry r-c we were busy frying other fish Sugar alcohols aren't counted as carbs but they do have calorie value....similar to fat at 8 cals per gm so if a label says it has sugar alcohols you add it in this way. ” I didn't mean to sound impatient, I just meant I was replying to my own question. Thanks for the advice, and glad you liked the link. I thought it was very informative too.

• Isomalt

Talking to myself here I just found this brilliant link on the subject lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

• Isomalt

OK, I searched the forums, and generally people seem to be saying it's a sugar valcohol, and in other places, it's said you can discount sugar alcohols, but I'm not sure if that includes isomalt. On the packet I have, it's included under the carbs section, next down from sugar, so they claim it IS a carb So will someone say it straight up? Does isomalt count as zero carbs?

• Chevapi sausages

Quote: “Originally posted by Herbie How many carbs do these things have? Hubby likes his sausages, and finds it hard going past them at the supermarket. If he could have something like this, it could be good. cheers ” Not sure off the top of my head - but I think the ones I got were very low, like less than a gram.

• Chevapi sausages

Could be. I'll check those out as well - good to have an alternate supply.

• Chevapi sausages

Just found these in Woolies. They are a skinless 'sausage' that are super low carb. They come in a tray and appear to a meat mixture that is formed into the sausage shape. They are coloured a bit like salami. You have to be careful as you take them out as they will squash and deform, but they firm up very quickly in the pan, and taste delicious (I think they have garlic and peppers and stuff in them)

• Nestle Flavoured Yoghurt

Quote: “Originally posted by SandyJ Well I knew yoghurt couldn't defy the laws of physics so I had to go and buy a tub. The result.... a 200g tub contains 185g of yoghurt in 160ml. Plain natural yoghurt ” only 185g ! ? RIPOFF

• Quote: “Originally posted by moonstruck I just poured my 200g of natural yoghurt into a measuring cup and it was 200ml.. Well now I will have to eat it won't I;) ” Yep:) of course this means it has roughly the same density as water, so a tub is less than a cup any way you look at it, therefore grams of carbs is less than the article gave.

• Nestle Flavoured Yoghurt

Quote: “Originally posted by SandyJ Ha ha...I hope you were joking. The SG for water is 1000 and I think the SG tool would sit on top of the yoghurt and not measure it. Do we have any biochemists out there who know the SG of yoghurt....he he. ” It might sit on top, but due to the viscosity I think, not density. I must do this experiment - put a dollop of yoghurt into a glass of water - will it sink or swim It may well sink, indicating slightly greater density, but if it floats, it's less dense.

• Quote: “Originally posted by Sherrie Hmm do you have a link on the stevia?, I hav'nt seen anything bad about that one. ” except the taste and lack of sweetness

• Quote: “Originally posted by SandyJ As far as I can see it would be more accurate to buy plain, add your own sweetener of choice and your own fruit. Then you know exactly what you are getting. ” The ingredients on the side tell pretty accurately what's in it. Mine said 5% fruit (not 'at least' 5%), and I suspect fruit would be the most expensive, so they wouldn't give away any more than necessary I had a 'Black Cherry' one this morning, and it was a great flavour. I guess I want this as a conven…

• Quote: “Originally posted by moonstruck Yes that's how I see it, the tub of plain yoghurt will have more lactose to be taken up than the ones with fruit, this stands to reason, if you add fruit etc., there will be less milk. By reading the yoghurt story it gives an example of the carbs being 4g per cup after the cultures have done their job.This is approx one third less, with the fruit added it would probably change that equation to be more like one quarter . Anyone else with an answer on this ?…