Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 195.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lunches while away camping

sanuk - - Low Carb Living

That's a hard one because bread is so convenient. How about you make a crustless quiche before you go and have slices of that cold with salad? Cold cooked sausages with mustard are good too. I suppose some of those ham and egg thingys would work too if you cook them before hand, and some POH savoury muffins.......

• an open letter to Brownyn Pike

Well, Bilsborough certainly did a good job of making himself look like a wanker! One would think that if he was going to personally attack someone in writing he would at least take the trouble to spell correctly or switch on his spell-checker. Its very hard to take someone seriously who hangs their hat on their educational qualifications (and discredit others for lack of them), then has a sub-highschool ability to spell.

• elderly drivers?

sanuk - - The Lounge

That would be a Gofer. But you wouldn't want to drive from Brisbane to Sydney in one. :p My partner's mum was in the same situation. God it was scary driving with her. She had a manual and herbed around every corner because she couldn't be bothered changing gears! She got terribly cranky with us when we wouldn't get in the car with her unless one of us was allowed to do the driving. Eventually she had to take a break from driving for a while when she had an op, and when she got back behind the w…

• OK. Far be it from me to offer parenting advice since I don't have kids of my own, BUT I was a teenager once and reading through your posts I'm reliving my youth again. I did everything your daughter is doing now. I left for school and spent a lot of time somewhere else before I got to school, and yes, if my parents had ever found out about what I was doing it would probably have been their worst nightmare. I never got caught though. My folks were pretty strict - Dad was a high school teacher hi…

• eggs eggs eggs eggs

Pegasus you are mostly right - "free range" is a way of paying for extra salmonella. Barn-kept layers are fed the same diet as those in cages. If you put 6000 chooks in a shed together you have to put some food in there as well, and it generally comes out of the same silos. If workers in a particular battery have to wear breathing apparatus because of the ammonia, that would have to be the worst designed, most archaic, hill-billy layer shed ever and I can't imagine any farm that worked under con…

• Colloidal silver and shingles

sanuk - - Supplements

WOW. thanks for the pic, Sherrie. That poor woman.

sanuk - - Supplements

Worth a try? Colloidal silver is a suspension of submicroscopic metallic silver particles in a colloidal base. Long-term use of silver preparations can lead to argyria, a condition in which silver salts deposit in the skin, eyes, and internal organs, and the skin turns ashen-gray. Many cases of argyria occurred during the pre-antibiotic era when silver was a common ingredient in nosedrops. When the cause became apparent, doctors stopped recommending their use, and reputable manufacturers stopped…

sanuk - - Supplements

By the way, what are you hoping to treat with the colloidal silver?

sanuk - - Supplements

Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which is the virus that causes chickenpox. Shingles occurs in people who have had chickenpox and represents a reactivation of the dormant varicella-zoster virus. The disease generally affects the elderly, although it occasionally occurs in younger and/or immunodeficient individuals. T he first sign is usually a tingling feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dot…

• NEW Low Carb Snack

wow, how much does each meatball weigh?

• Tummy Trouble...

sanuk - - Health

Yes, chickens can carry salmonella, it does not harm them. There is evidence that salmonella can enter the egg during the formation of the egg, from the ovaries of a chicken which carries salmonella. Also, chickens have only one duct for pooing and egg laying so its pretty easy for eggs to come into contact with chicken faeces at some stage. Its interesting that the World Health Organisation is recommending that eggs (and other chicken products) are cooked thoroughly to avoid transmission of avi…

• Tummy Trouble...

sanuk - - Health

Well that would depend entirely on the type of bacteria that gained entry into the egg and also the quantity of that bacteria that you ingested. Salmonella enteritidis (SE) is the most well known culprit and is a common cause of food poisoning with many cases traced back to eggs. Symptoms include diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, nausea, headache and vomiting. I'm betting you would feel more than just bloated if you had a dose of it. Cooking eggs until the yolk is solid will kill Salmonella bac…

• Tummy Trouble...

sanuk - - Health

Egg shells are very porous and bacteria can easily pass through. Eggs also have a small pocket of air in them and this can allow bacteria an oxygenated environment to mulitply in. Chicken faeces can contain salmonella bacteria and if egg shells come in contact with this, bacteria can get into the egg. Storage of eggs in the fridge (not at room temperature) will reduce bacterial growth. For every day an egg is stored at room temperature, it can be stored a week in a fridge. Eggs from free range c…

• Calorie v's kilojoule?

1 calorie = 4.2 kilojoules is approximately correct and accurate enough to use. (it's actually 4.18+......., a bit like the value of pi really, it just keeps on going)

• ode to supplements

and here I was, expecting a poem!

• Truth about statistics

sanuk - - The Lounge

Hey Moonie, I thought I was the only one that had a life time subscription to Rural Business! No matter where I move to, they track me down!

• woe is me...

sanuk - - The Lounge

Wow. OK....I'm not a counseller so beware of any advice I might give. Starter had a really good suggestion about getting some counselling for yourself. Its always hard when you observe someone you care about engaging in self-destructive or self-abusive behaviour. It's always a bit of a battle between wanting to step in and save them from themselves Vs "it's their body and their choice. It's their life to do with as they wish. What right do we have to tell people how to live their lives?". Don't …

• Its the Incredible Shrinking Man!

• yeah, I think half the problem is that everyone who wants to knock low carbing focuses on high quantities of meat, cheese, cream and eggs. They don't show the tons of veggies we eat. I've never eaten so much fibre in my life and I now eat veggies that I never would have considered eating before! I'd like to challenge Rosemary Stanton to tell me that my lunch of equal portions of tuna and cottage cheese, cucumber, capsicum, shallots, avocado, lemon juice and black pepper is unhealthy or "unbalanc…

• Pumpkin and Chive Frittata

sanuk - - Egg Recipes

I'm betting that would work just as well with sweet potato, and perhaps some left over Christmas ham.