Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 156.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• The thing is, it is not just the Fast food industry, it is really any processed food industry. I have been served the most horrid crap masquerading as food at small, locally owned cafe's, they make Macca's nuggets look posh cuisine. The supermarkets are full of very cheap, very high carb foods. Actually I have been amazed how hard it is to just get nice, plain food when eating out, like a salad with a meat (that is not crumbed to death) or covered in a high sugar dressing. We have become so depe…

• Have started to use some raw food with our animals, not for any of the reasons on the articles above (I block any links to naturalnews etc). Have tended to use a good quality dry food with some tins of wet, but notice with a new kitten that she was always hungry and had runny poos (the litter really stank). I read the paperwork that came with her and whilst they did use some wet food, they also feed roo mince and chicken necks. So thought I would try the chicken necks. Growing up we used to feed…

• That looks interesting, back when we had the larger property we grew some spaghetti squash. It is nice to have some home grown veg.

• Quote from Gosfordgirl: “ Where did you get your chooks? How old were they when you got them? And finally, where do you get their feed? Hope you don't mind the questions! ” We ended up getting some 12 month old girls from a battery farm for $2. Scruffy looking girls, but absolutely loving have room to move scratch and fresh food to eat. It really depends on the time of year how available chooks are, especially point of lays. You can check out local markets or a local poultry club. Some chook sel…

• Pretty sure I read somewhere that the guidelines are not upto date with the current studies. Eggs are pretty much a whole food, just missing one thing from what I can remember. Yes they have cholesterol, but it is quite negligible, plus eating cholesterol does not give you high cholesterol. There was at least one study that showed just by eating eggs for breakfast that someone was more likely to lose weight. So basically just go for it, I think your body will tell you if you are eating too many.

• I cook the oats in water (ratio 1:2). I admit to adding a sprinkle of brown sugar and a splash of milk when serving. If I am organised then I had a tablespoon of LSA. I think give it a go first just cutting out the main culprits, then if no weight loss is happening (I would give it 2-3 weeks, not much was happening for me, then a big whoosh), then see about cutting it back on other carbs. I suppose it is kind of like doing the phases of Aitkins in reverse.

• This time around I started low carbing again whilst breastfeeding. I found breastfeeding makes me very hungry and sugary foods enhance that hunger. Basically I did was Sherrie has suggested: Avoiding processed foods where possible. Has the double benefit of just not eating as much, it is so easy to grab crappy foods when looking after a bubs. Porridge for breakfast - good and filling, lo GI and not too bad on carbs if you watch your amount - if pressed for time I have Carman's Fruit free muesli …

• Re: Facebook, anyone?

Osanna - - The Lounge

Depends on how annoying they get. This one was oviously in a new relationship and multiple times a day she would carry on about how happy/in love she was, really sickening stuff. (I am not a sqidgy lovely dovey person btw), then the status updates were about being unhappy etc, obviously they had now broken up. It was all just too much to be reading about someone I barely knew and I really did not want to know her better after that.

• Re: Facebook, anyone?

Osanna - - The Lounge

I have removed one person as their status updates were annoying me too much. Others I have found interesting and help me get to know old friends.

• Understand your frustration. I remember when both DH and I had a lot of success on Atkins back in 2003/2004. There was a "friend" who was interested in it and asked what it was about. Well once we explained it to her, all she did was bitch and moan. "Oh, I can't eat 3 cups a day, I can barely eat 1 cup of salad" "Oh, but I love pasta. I have just bought a pasta maker" etc So we said to her bluntly (more than once) "well don't go on it, find something else". Well she went on Atkins, manage to los…

• Re: Thyroid 101

Osanna - - Women and Health

Quote from singadiva: “Do you have children? Could he be motivated to take better care of his health for the sake of being a better father or to keep his health in shape so your marriage can be strong and you can carry out your hopes and aspirations together without having to miss out because of ill health?? His health is his responsibility, no-one elses. But he also has a responsibility to you and your family..... Em” Yep, know about that. Have spoken to him about it all, even his mother has. I…

Thanks for that - main problem is getting him to do something about it.

Ok, hoping someone can help me with hubby. Sorry I would do some reading, but the kids are driving me batty Hubby had his sigmoid colon removed 2 years ago due to diverticulitis. Almost died a couple of times and as such had trouble keeping hydrated. Also he is meant to have trouble keeping weight on, but does not. Now for years, even before the surgery, he was a man of extremes with temperatures. If it was cold, the heater had to be on high, when low would do for me. Hot weather, fans on full, …

• Re: Life on Mars

Osanna - - The Lounge

I think Aus they changed the title to "Its a Man's world". Rob Schnieder (sp?) was in it as Tony and I have hated him ever since. The eldest daughter from Family Ties was Dorothy. Truely awful viewing.

• Re: Life on Mars

Osanna - - The Lounge

Quote from Damo: “ It is strange, the american obsession with remaking shows from overseas. They even tried to do an american version of Red Dwarf, I saw the pilot of that online and boy was it shocking. Lister was a clean cut white guy! If you haven't seen it (it's very funny), the original Lister was a dread head with dubious hygeine.” I can never forgive the Americans for even trying to redo Red Dwarf. They did a horrendous job of Men Behaving Badly. No-one other than Martin Clunes could be G…

• I think it is one of those catch 22 situations. In order to protect the herd, who are highly influenced by peers, advertising etc that making them get see a Doctor may make them think twice before going on a meal replacement program (please not I was talking about meal replacement diets, just not any weightloss program, sorry if I was not clear). Unfortunatelty there will be some people who know what they are doing who will be inconvinienced by it. Sorry will get back to this, have a tantruming …

• Quote from LC_Dave: “Hmmm that's an intriguing theory. When it comes to Doctor's I haven't met one that's recommended low carb. So I lucked out. I wonder what the percentage is. Maybe ).0001% but yeah it's certainly a possibility. :)” No, not a theory. You may not believe otherwise, that is your choice, I am allowed to express an opinion just as much as you are

• Quote from LC_Dave: “I understand... but ultimately it is meaningless. Doctors in general are useless when it comes to weight loss. ” There are some good Doctors out there. We are a society of instant gratification. I think that having to go to the Doctor first may just stop some people all together from going on one of those plans. It is like they hear about and they have to go and get it NOW! If they can't get it now, they don't bother.

• I hope it does go further. I would also love to see that someone has a certificate from their Dr stating they are ok to go on a program. I have known people who if they are rejected at on Chemist /weightloss centre due to medical reasons just go to the next one and lie so they can buy the shakes. Oh and I would like to see them removed from supermarkets, there is no control there whatsover.

• theage.com.au/national/choice-…ograms-20090203-7wv5.html Quote: “ Choice slams weight consultants, programs Daniella Miletic February 4, 2009 PHARMACY consultants who offer weight loss programs are often lacking proper training and sell some diet products that are nutritionally inadequate, an investigation by consumer watchdog Choice has found. The group has called for a new accreditation system to improve training for pharmacists and consultants. In an undercover investigation, Choice sent thre…