Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 119.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Re: Christmas food/recipes

Scribe - - Low Carb Recipes

Quote from Sherrie: “There is a low carb pavlova roll recipe here, probably in the desserts section. I'm afraid pavlova is the one thing I do properly, It's just not the same without sugar. I will happily replace sugar in any other dessert but that. Oooh that's another thing there's tiramisu recipes in the recipe section as well.” Sherrie, I make pavlova and meringues using that "Perfect Sweet" xylitol. It looks and tastes exactly like sugar and works beautifully for pav.

• Quote from fiona: “My latest batch of ice cream tastes good, but it is rock hard, so I guess I over-mixed the whites into the cream mixture. I had to defrost it a bit in the microwave before I could get a spoon into it. The 85% Lindt pieces are a little bitter, but it's still good. Trial and error.” Hmm, maybe try letting it stand for a few minutes when you take it out of the freezer, Fiona. I have to admit, I often stand there with the freezer door open eating it straight out of the container..…

• Quote from deenalicious: “*glares at scribe* did you know they sometimes make xylitol out of raspberries?” Lol! Perfect Sweet is 100% xylitol extracted from Birch trees. Are you getting raspberryphobic, Deena? :p

• You're right Sinders, these are excellent for brekkie. I made up a big batch a couple of days ago and have another 10 in the freezer now for brekkie/brunch on the run. Just take out of the freezer, nuke in the microwave for a couple of seconds and add a dab of butter... delicious and really filling! My version (for a big batch) 1/3 cup of flax seeds (ground to fine flour) 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds (ground ~ makes a lovely fine flour) 1/2 cup of almonds (ground fine) 1 tbspn baking powder (makes…

• Quote from fiona: “What sweetener does everyone use? I only have Splenda, but I'm not crazy about the slight chemical taste so I was wondering about other possibilities and I saw references to erythritol. Does anyone use that in their ice cream?” I use a xylitol one called "Perfect Sweet". Tastes like sugar and no chemical taste, but pretty expensive! How did your new batch of ice cream go, Fiona?

• Quote from aussietash: “this icecream is very YUMMY i made 2 containers up my kids even love it, but its allllllll mine * dr evils laugh*” Lol Aussietash. My hubby doesn't like it ~ YAY!!!!

• Quote from Dragonlady: “Thanks, no sugar, I'm a sugar addict so am avoiding all things that slightly resemble sugar or sweetener, too tempting at the moment.” I only use about a third of a cup of sweetener, Dragonlady, and I make nearly a double batch with that. I just up the vanilla essence and it tastes fine Sinders, 2 more eggs ~ lots of egg white to counter the extra cream (and get about 2 litres from one batch! :D) I mixed with my hands and got it to a "mousse" consistency without breaking …

• Mmmm, your ice cream looks delicious, Sinders. Okay... I'll use less cream next time! Is that your little girl in the photo? She looks gorgeous! I think this ice cream is something that gets easier and better each time we make it. You can probably make your's in your sleep by now! I love mine, but am happy to experiment... and at least all the experiments taste good!

• Thanks for that last set of pics, Sinders (it all looks so yummy!) I think I use more cream than you, so mine is a bit harder. Your recipe has 300ml cream, I use about 500ml (don't really measure it). I might have to increase the egg whites to get it that frothy. It's still easy to scoop with a spoon though. How do you get the cream and whites so thoroughly mixed? Your's looks really frothy. I'm scared of breaking the whites up too much and ending up with mush... Fiona, mine has tiny bits of whi…

• Quote from deenalicious: “I cannot imagine what 55.7 feels like...I think I was 55.7 when I was 3yrs old” ROFL! I think my leg weighs that! Good work Fiasco!

• I'm finding the vanilla is really yummy and creamy. I think I add more vanilla than the recipe says. I might try mixing through some blue berries and cranberries next time. Let us know how the chocolate goes, Fiona! I can't get any low sugar syrups here, but cocoa we have!

• I just went and checked mine, GG, and although it's not soft as store-bought ice cream, it's not rock hard. Solid, but not grainy or icey, and I can scoop it out easily with a spoon. Here's a pic ~ I made it on Monday, so its been in the freezer for nearly 4 days now DSC_2411.jpg It will stay like that now; I haven't had it form ice crystals like normal ice cream does. Like Sinders said, maybe you over-mixed the whites. Or did you use too much cream? Sinders original recipe said 300g, but I usua…

• Re: Leg Cramps?

Scribe - - Health

Thanks Sherrie... you always give useful answers xx I think the salt is alright, but the vegies suffer on days when I stick to a lot of protein only. I take a good multivitamin with minerals and have got the calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement ~ now I just have to remember to take them every day and see if that helps! Terrible, terrible cramps all last night! I must have been up walking at least 4 times, then up early again this morning with cramps in both legs... no use going back to sleep Feel g…

• Looks like we've all been wobbling and are back into it now! I'm back to where I started at 77.6kgs and WILL get under 70 by Christmas! So, 7 weeks to lose 7.7 kgs... bring it on! Good on you for resisting the chips, Deena. I always remind myself that they smell better than they actually taste! Likewise, avoiding the crusty bread, Snez. Nice work! Woohoo, Chelles ~ only 3 days to go! How exciting! And you've lost a goodly amount already! Okay, ladies, let's do this ~ let's kick this weight in it…

Scribe - - Health

Ahh, Sherrie, you are one of the most valuable resources on the internet! I just googled "diet and leg cramps" and came up with this: mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/23/110.cfm Potassium is another mineral that helps regulate muscle contraction, says Dr. Stengler. Deficiencies of this crucial electrolyte aren't normally a problem if you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. If you change your diet drastically, however, you might become deficient. This is a potential problem, if you go…

Scribe - - Health

Thanks for your help everyone! I don't think it would be sodium, Sherry, as I'm not scared to use salt on my food. Anyone who lives in the tropics needs to increase salt intake. Will check the potassium out... thanks! GosfordGirl, I hear you! Last night I had a cramp in a tiny muscle on the side of my wrist, in deep next to the bone. I didn't even know I had a muscle there! And this morning, I woke up at 6 and turned over to go back to sleep, then got cramp in both legs again! Grrr, to broken sl…

• Leg Cramps?

Scribe - - Health

I know I've seen this mentioned in a few posts, but can't find them now. What causes leg cramps? I've been getting them on and off for months, but this past week is really bad! Every night I'm waking up with the most awful cramps in my calf muscles and sometimes in my ankles! I have to get up and walk around to stop it, but then wake up a few hours later with another cramp. It seems to get worse when I'm losing good amounts of weight. What's that mean??? I think someone mentioned magnesium, so I…

• Thanks for the info on wine, Sherrie! A glass of red wine with dinner is back on the menu (occassionally!) Yes, Tracey ~ 2.2kgs is right for PO. A nice start ~ congrats!

• Yum, Annie ~ I'm fantasising about a caramel swirl (and I'm not even particularly fond of caramel?!) Bet they've never heard of Da Vinci syrup in Bali. Gosfordgirl, not sure of calorie counts... high I guess. But low carb! Deena, you can up the vanilla ~ it's really delicious. Espresso would be easy with a thick espresso mix swirled into the cream

• Re: Maca

Scribe - - Women and Health

Just saw this post! I take Maca every day (well, when I remember which is nearly every day :p) The effects are subtle, but I definitely notice I have consistent energy all day. No mid-afternoon slump ~ my energy just feels more leveled out and I'm more alert. There was another thread about it somewhere on here... Wenny was taking it too and noticed increased energy. I haven't noticed it clearing up age spots? Not sure I have any! lol Jo was taking it in powder form, but I take the tablets. 500 m…