forum app

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• hey .. i was wondering if theres an app out there wich makes it easy to use online forums ? or if this forum has a mobile version? i'd prob come on a bit more if i could easily use the forum from my phone.. as i rarely use the computer these days but if im sat down i'll generally whip out my phone n use the internet on that..

any ideas?
      [Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    • Re: forum app

I'm testing a forum upgrade currently, there is a mobile app that I can buy for it as well that's about $200 which I don't think works very well, very buggy. I noticed there was a forum runner in with the upgrade I just bought but I don't know if I have to buy a license or how good it is. Believe it or not but I actually don't use a mobile so I don't know much about it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie keep in mind I am sure people would be happy to donate even a few dollars each to help out with costs like this if you did decide to buy an upgrade or buy a license for an app etc.

An app would be handy for people, not sure if you've looked at your stats, but we have about 60% of views from Ipads/smartphones. We've just done a big upgrade to make our site mobile friendly and I think it really helps people out. I might add it was a fair bit of work though !

You probably don't need an app, you might just need a forum skin that better supports mobile devices (I know the vbulliten site has some). There can be quite a bit that goes into this so I'll PM you our number and if you want any help give us a call (my partner Ian is a web dev and does this kind of stuff all the time)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rania ().

The forum will be looking totally different to as it does now as I have just bought vbb 5.0 but I am upgrading to the vbb 4.2 suite for now which includes a CMS and blog. I already have a copy up and running and now I am just learning my way around, playing with colours etc looking at ways to improve speed as the size of this forum does slow things down and then I will look at moving articles, homepage etc to the CMS.

So until that's all done and is live I can't commit to anything. But once I'm done with that I will investigate the mobile issue. As you said if it's just the layout then that issue might not be an issue once upgraded. I know vbulletin have a mobile app that you can buy which I think is around $200 but it apparently doesn't work and they are currently trying to fix it and there is no ETA. I haven't looked into but do recall reading a discussion on the vbulletin forums recently whilst investigating the forum upgrade.

If it's still an issue after the upgrade I will investigate free mobile apps, forum runner is apparently free (just googled it) and it seems to be in the vbulletin suite I have installed though I think that has issues also.

But having said all that I have to try and remain focused on the upgrade until that's done, I can get distracted very easily these days and now with home schooling Maya it's a bit harder during the day as I have her wanting my attention all day then when Garry is home I have him vying for my attention also!!!

But I'm quite excited about the potential of this upgrade, it looks really spiff. I will probably upgrade quite soon and do the layout changes etc whilst it's live so I don't have to do it all twice.

Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: clarify ().

FYI I was just having a look at my test site and down the bottom of the forum where you choose styles there appears to already be a default mobile style. Here's an example of what it looks like on the vbulletin forums. Any good?