Low Carb Chia Seed Chocolate Cake

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Chia Seed Chocolate Cake

This recipe has been adapted from a Tania Hubbard recipe, I'm not sure if it was my oven but I needed at least 45mins cooking time and it was still a bit wet. I'm going to experiment with this more. It didn't rise but I guess because of the chia seed gel it didn't feel heavy either. When I took mine out of the oven I let it cool in the tin for a while as I was concerned about it being too delicate whilst warm.

Low Carb Chia Seed Chocolate Cake

4 TBL of Chia seeds (non metric add an extra teaspoon for each tablespoon)
      1 shot of espresso (optional)
      1/2 cup pure cocoa powder (home brand)
      125g / 4.4 oz softened butter
      5 med/lrg eggs
      1 cup (100g / 3.5 oz) almond meal
      1 cup of erythritol and 1 pinch of pure stevia extract (or substitute any sweetener to equivalent of 1 cup sugar)
      1 tsp sodium bicarbonate
      1 dash of vanilla
      1/4 teaspoon of salt

Preheat oven to 180C/356F

Butter and line spring form cake tin with non stick baking paper

Place 1 shot of espresso into a measuring jug then fill with water until equals one cup then soak the chia seeds for 15 mins. The chia seeds will form a thick gel.

Grind the sweeteners together in a blender/grinder/magic bullet type thingy.

Cream butter and sweeteners and then add eggs one at a time, vanilla and dry ingredients, mix well.

Add chia gel and mix until combined then pour into spring form pan.

Recipe says to bake for 35-40mins but mine took longer, you need to bake it until it bounces back when pressed.

Cool in tin for 5-10 mins, I left mine in tin for much longer as it felt too delicate.

Carbs: 26.3g for whole cake
      10 slices = 2.6g per slice

Sorry I forgot to count the rest and don't feel like going through it again at the moment.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherrie: conversions ().

• Re: Low Carb Chia Seed Chocolate Cake

oops I think I counted 1/4 cup of cocoa when it should be 1/2 cup, carb count all fixed :)

Hmmm hope I put 1/2 cup in when I cooked it last night lol
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • JuSt made this my gf gave me recipe so thought I'd check before I wrote it up lol. Delish n kid winner too
      I used coconut oil instead of butter n I was 2 eggs down so used extra 1tbsp of chair seeds n 1/3 cup water n 1/2 banana worked a charm (only added this as thought meh this is for kids bday at school tomorrow)