Retrograded Potato Salad Recipe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Retrograded Potato Salad Recipe

The recipe is below, but first... We all know that potatoes have starch, starch has carbs, carbs raise the blood sugar of diabetics and also causes weight gain. But there is a type of starch called 'resistant starch'. It is called that because it resists digestion. In healthy people, resistant starch passes through the upper intestine undigested, which means it is kind to blood sugar. Resistant starch can help with weight loss, reduce fat storage, lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels.

Resistant starch is considered to be the third type of dietary fiber. Resistant starch helps control blood sugar levels. Researchers see lower blood sugar and insulin levels following a resistant starch-rich meal. It also has the ability to improve insulin resistance. I know these things are true because I am diabetic and here are my test results after eating 1/2 cup of retrograded potato salad.

Before Eating = 5.7 mmol/L (103 mg/dl)
      1 hour = 5.9 mmol/L (106 mg/dl)
      2 hours = 5.0 mmol/L (91 mg/dl)

Notice that 2 hrs. after eating, my blood sugar dropped 12 points (mg/dl) lower than it was before eating. If I had been eating regular potato salad, my numbers would have shot up to at least the 8.3 mmol/L (150 mg/dl) range. This tells me that instead of giving up potatoes, it is better for my health and diabetes if I eat them often. My test results also tell me that although I don't know how many carbs are in 1/2 cup of retrograded potato salad, it can't be much.

The starch in certain potatoes can be 'retrograded' to resistant starch, here is the process...

Cooking causes starch to absorb water and swell. As it slowly cools, portions of the starch crystallize into a form that resists digestion. (So you have to cook the spuds in water as opposed to microwaving or baking.)

Boiling the potatoes whole kicks the resistant starch factor up several notches. New red potatoes are lower in carbs, so that is the type of potatoes that should be used, and should be cooked whole.

Cooling the potatoes slowly after cooking is an important step in the retrograding process. Adding fat during refrigeration helps the process, that is why the potato salad is made before refrigerating, the fat in the mayonnaise helps the process.

Retrograded potatoes should be eaten cold, as reheating will take away the resistant starch properties.

RETROGRADED POTATO SALAD RECIPE (limit servings to 1/2 cup)
      (You can use whatever ingredients you want in the potato salad, but these are the ingredients I use.)

new red potatoes, washed
      onion, chopped
      celery, chopped
      no-sugar-added sweet pickles, chopped
      hard boiled eggs, chopped
      mayonnaise
      salt & pepper

Cover the potatoes with water, add the lid. Bring to a boil, tilt the lid, reduce heat to medium and cook until tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Drain. Leave the lid on the pot, set aside and let cool until room temperature. This could take a few hours.

At this point you can peel the potatoes or not. Slice them and make the potato salad. Refrigerate 24 hours before eating. Enjoy. :D