Low Carb, Weight Loss and the Older Woman

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb, Weight Loss and the Older Woman

Hi, I'm a newbie here though I have been eating low carb for about a year now. I was wondering if there are any older women on this forum. I'm in my 60s and fairly fit, but obviously not experiencing some of the problems of younger women. Amongst other things I've found low carb eating has been good for my arthritis and cholesterol levels. Are there any others who have similar results?
    • Re: Low Carb, Weight Loss and the Older Woman

Hi Pippa, I'm 53 and going through the big M! Since locarbing I have started sleeping through the night again and feel so much better....Have lost a little bit of weight and still have 15 kg to go but I'm getting there slowly. Locarbing is great for the older woman! LOL!
      Mantra for 2014.....YOU CAN DO IT, NEVER GIVE UP! :cheer:
      [Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMaitr6/weight.png]

Hi I am 64 & I am as fit as a fiddle - I have high blood pressure which is hereditary so no amount of weight loss will solve the problem & sleep apnea which is all controlled but they are not old ducks problems I have had those for years - low carbing is the best thing I have done for my health & well being - I am very healthy, strong & motivated to look after myself so I can be free of old age problems for as long as I can - I cannot run but I can walk there.

The post was edited 2 times, last by 2kellen2 ().

Well said 2kellen2 - walk there, not run. I agree. We are like good wine, getting better as we age. And I see from your ticker that you are 62.5 kg. Well done. How long have you been low carbing.
      Lala - I'm so glad the big M is over for me, and I wonder now if I'd discovered low carb if it would have been a bit easier. That was my worst time when my weight skyrocketed, my arthritis really flared up etc, but since menopause I've got things under a bit better control. Still have trouble with sleeping though.

Well I can honestly say that my sleep has improved immensely! Maybe it's psychological but to be able to sleep for at least 4 hours + is a bonus for me. I went for a good 6 years without much sleep, maybe an hour or two a night....sometimes not even that.....I just wonder how long it is going to be before it is a mainstream thing. My grandson said the funniest thing yesterday. "It's sugar that makes you fat not fat!" I said,"Yes darling, sugar is thy enemy" I wonder where he heard that from!!!!!
      Mantra for 2014.....YOU CAN DO IT, NEVER GIVE UP! :cheer:
      [Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMaitr6/weight.png]

Me too, almost. Maybe it was half way through January last year that I started in earnest. But you've done much better than me with the weight loss.

I had a dreadful year last year with a sick husband and father. My father died (he was 86 and suffering from dementia as well as cancer, emphysema, and a heap of other things). It was a very stressful year with getting him settled in a nursing home and all sorts of red tape, bureaucratic issues, so many of my good intentions went out the window diet and healthy lifestyle wise.

I'm always intrigued when I watch shows like Biggest Loser. These people only have one thing on their minds - they're going to lose weight, and so they can. Most of us don't have that sort of luxury. We live in the real world with families and problems all around us and it's just not possible to be so self-centred. You are a similar age and probably have similar problems. They call us the sandwich generation don't they. On the one hand we're looking after our children and grandchildren and on the other we're looking after our parents - and some of us are looking after our spouses as well. Some of us are still working (I only do a bit of part time work) and some of us have serious health issues ourselves. It's not easy!

I'm going through the dementia issue with my Mother who is 87 - I have never heard of the sandwich generation but we are in a difficult situation with most people of our age group looking after elderly parents & grand children. With Biggest Loser the contestants exercise most of the day which is not sustainable when they leave the show - I would like to see how these people cope in the real world when they finish the show. I hope this year is a better year for you - that is a worry with your husbands health & now I have forgotten what is wrong with him & how old is he & how old are you.

The post was edited 1 time, last by 2kellen2 ().

What bothers me about the biggest loser is the "weekly weigh ins" whilst for those watching they are weekly, apparently in reality they are much longer giving viewers a false expectation of what they themselves should be achieving.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I agree Sherrie I have heard & read there are weeks between weigh ins which does make everyone else think 'what are we doing wrong' - & before the first weighin they have a big binge & load up on water of course we all do that before starting a new woe & before their supposed weekly weigh ins they stop fluids 1-2 days before which is dangerous. What is all this doing to the young people looking on & getting these unhealthy ideas to control their weight. I'm waiting for one of them to have a heart attack with the intense exercise for people who have not exercised in years who are morbidly obese. I suppose to have a sensible weight loss program on tv would not be exciting.

The post was edited 3 times, last by 2kellen2 ().

I was looking for the thyroid 101 article and stumbled on this one. Nice to know we have a few 50+ ladies here. I'm 62 in June.
      Like Kel, I think I'm very fit have a low BP (mostly 90/60). I enjoy learning about self-preservation and practicing it as a lifestyle. Some experts tell us that losing weight is more difficult for post menopausal women... does anyone know why?
      Humming along in maintenance... ^^
      Patty

Hi Patty, and welcome to the over 60s club. I'll be 64 in February, like in the Beatles' song, Will you still love me. :eek:.

I put on most of my weight while going through menopause (in my mid-fifties) but since menopause I've been able to lose weight. I've shrunk from over 80 kg to 64 kg that I am now - but it took a few years. I'm not sure why, but I feel hormonally more stable and I think that has a big influence on my eating. I don't seem to get cravings any more. I also think I've improved my diet especially in that I've gone low carb and more recently practicing the 5:2 way of eating, which seems to work for me.

Edit: I feel a bit silly. After posting this I realised I started this thread over a year ago.
      Cheers,
      Pipsqueak.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pippa ().

I think it varies, some women find it easier without those monthly fluctuations etc and others find it harder because of the drop in hormones which can also cause a drop in thyroid hormones. I guess it all depends on how your hormones balance out.

I thought that I would just add a little note about cholesterol.

Post menopausal women should have higher cholesterol, there are a few small studies showing that in women high cholesterol (as in low trigs, high HDL and moderate or high LDL pattern B) leads to longer life and better quality life with less risk of neuro disease like Alzheimers.

Like a cholesterol of 6-7mmol/l is fine if the HDL is high and trigs are low. Most docs will say take a statin but that will lead to earlier death.

Pippa wrote:

Hi Patty, and welcome to the over 60s club. I'll be 64 in February, like in the Beatles' song, Will you still love me. :eek:.

I put on most of my weight while going through menopause (in my mid-fifties) but since menopause I've been able to lose weight. I've shrunk from over 80 kg to 64 kg that I am now - but it took a few years. I'm not sure why, but I feel hormonally more stable and I think that has a big influence on my eating. I don't seem to get cravings any more. I also think I've improved my diet especially in that I've gone low carb and more recently practicing the 5:2 way of eating, which seems to work for me.

Edit: I feel a bit silly. After posting this I realized I started this thread over a year ago.

Do not feel silly Pip because I have just read one of my replies to you last year - I mention how my Mother has dementia then at the end of my post I say how I have forgotten how old you are & your husband when I could have scrolled up to find out - maybe I had forgotten how to do that so who has dementia - scary I don't want to be like Mum :eek:

2kellen2 wrote:

I'm going through the dementia issue with my Mother who is 87 - I have never heard of the sandwich generation but we are in a difficult situation with most people of our age group looking after elderly parents & grand children. With Biggest Loser the contestants exercise most of the day which is not sustainable when they leave the show - I would like to see how these people cope in the real world when they finish the show. I hope this year is a better year for you - that is a worry with your husbands health & now I have forgotten what is wrong with him & how old is he & how old are you.

You mention the age of your Father not your husband -:D see I am in a bad way

The post was edited 1 time, last by 2kellen2 ().

Hi - I am 48 in a few weeks so no spring chicken either ! As most of you already know I am going through some hormone thing . So definitely peri or in Menopause already ,however I sleep like the living dead - about 7 hours straight through , not even a pee ! I feel amazing , my recent blood tests were fantastic my HDL and LDL are about even giving me a total reading of 4. My trigs perfect as were all of my other levels. BP 120/65 heart rate 50. . . .DR was dumfounded and got goose bumps when we talked about my lifestyle and my diet.
      I run these days as you all know. So at nearly 50 I am in the best shape of my life !!
      Power to us all ladies !! Take a bow , each and every one of us.
      Less of me - more of life !