Not enough calories?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Not enough calories?

Hey all!

I'm back on the LC bandwagon to lose a few kg's to look snazzy in my wedding dress!

I've been LC (based on the book The Power of Protein) for about a week and a half and I'm feeling great, no hunger or cravings.

BUT I'm using CalorieKing to track my food so I can keep and eye on my carb count (being in induction, my limit it pretty low) and I notice that I'm also eating VERY low calorie, despite using oils on my salads and in my cooking, and enjoying my cheese :)

By low I mean that, except for a cheeky day or 2 where a glass of wine has found its way into my hand, I'm averaging 1000-1300 calories a day.

Now I've been on enough eating plans to know that 1200 is about as low as any woman should go and I've eaten LC enough to know I shouldn't be trying to do it low fat or low calorie, and I'm genuinely not trying to, but there it is.

I prefer lean meat, and after a long stint on Weight Watchers I've trained myself to not use fats and oils in cooking or to really eat greasy foods and I think that's whats showing through.

Any advice from all you gurus on whether I should be consciously upping my calories? I'd actually have to make an effort to do so, as I'm really enjoying my menu the last 10 days and don't feel restricted at all.

Thanks!
    • Re: Not enough calories?

Hi - You have confused me by saying that you are eating VERY low calorie & then you say that you are averaging 1000 -1300 a day. I also use Ck's food diary & 1200 is the lowest limit so I would say to not drop it below that - but you know that so I'm not sure if I have answered your question? As you feel good with this woe I would stay with it & just not drop low with the calories.

Thanks for that, you're right - VERY low was an exaggeration :) It's just a lot lower than I have eaten before, even on WW and I know that Atkins and other LC programs say not to try to do it low cal or low fat. I guess I'm concerned whether it will mess up my losses? I don't seem to be losing as fast this time around.

read this article

fitnessblackbook.com/main/star…r-need-to-worry-about-it/
      it seems that we are individuals and the guide about calorie intake is a rough average

if you feel fine and have enough energy then do not worry too much about numbers

your body might go on that number of calories for a while and then let you know that is not enough by making you feel weak

good luck and i too use calorie king

Although you are not losing weight as fast I think that will catch up the longer you stay on this woe - it is tempting for you to drop your calories but it is not worth it for your health because we know that your metabolism will slow down. Re Atkins & other LC programs it is a matter of what do they mean by low cal & low fat as they may be referring to shake diets/lemon detox etc

If you can eat more calories and lose weight, I would do so, it's very easy to feel fine when eating too little when low carbing due to the satiating effects of obesity and eating very low fat will encourage gallstones so I think you are being very smart asking about it.

I don't know what your stats are or what your exercise is like but I dare say being at the beginning of a diet you can get away eating more then that. You shouldn't start on the low side as it just gives you less room to move later. I hate the thought of metabolisms being ruined when not necessary.

This can help you work out a starting point BMR and Calories, Kels suggestion to list your foods will help for ideas on raising calories if still needed.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I hardly think some body builders/army dudes eating a low calorie diet for 8 weeks proves anything remotely!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: army dudes ().

Oh this is hilarious then he has articles saying the opposite!

Here's a little example for you from your expert, that nails it in a nutshell:

Chronic Low Calorie Diets Can Age People

The problem with staying lean by consuming 1,000-1,500 calories per day is that you simply lack nutrients to keep your body working properly. Problems occur like dry skin, thinning hair, lack of sex drive, brain fog, cold hands and feet, etc. Wouldn’t it be better to be able to maintain your ideal body weight at 2,500 calories instead of 1,500? With a healthy metabolism this is possible.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm going to edge it up 100 cal a day and see where it starts to slow losses. Sherrie, I'm confused, did someone delete their posts?

Typical day is:

Breakfast: Boiled egg and meat - either leg ham, roast lamb, corned beef

Lunch: meat (canned fish, chicken, ham, leftover beef from the day before, corned beef..), lettuce, cucumber, olive oil as dressing, another boiled egg and some cheese (cheddar or feta)

Dinner: Meat (large serve - having a big slab of meat for dinner is one of the things I love about LC) lettuce, cucumber, olive oil as dressing.

Snacks: Cheese, dill pickles, meat.

I admit I'm not exercising, weather plus work has conspired against me thus far. And I usually eat a much bigger range of veg but the weather has me running for salad and I'm fussy on non-cooked veg.

haha no that's my fault for not quoting what I was replying to :)

What about veg? you could add a dob of butter.

Interesting as eyeballing your menu someone would think calories were quite good.

haha sorry I just read your last sentence! salad makes me hungry so I always eat veg :)

Could you like add a snack of say strawberries and cream? or incase you're avoiding sweet stuff I just thought of the obvious avocado and olives!