I am thinking of making the diary section private, would like feedback!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• I am thinking of making the diary section private, would like feedback!

Guys and Girls, I have been pondering on whether we should have the diary section set to registered users only so that guests and search engines can not view it. Often if I am ever asked to delete something it is in the diary section and as you all know, I hate deleting threads that may be useful to others now and in the future. The whole premise of this forum is the contribution and sharing of our experiences along our journeys in a responsible manner (e.g. encouraging people to starve themselves or anything else of a similar nature is not allowed for obvious reasons).

The reason most people will ask for something to be deleted is because they have posted something too personal in the past and are concerned that others in their personal life may come across it in google etc

So I was wondering, would people feel more comfortable if the diary section was private to guest users? Ultimately this does not stop someone you know from registering and finding it that way if they already know your username but it will stop anything in the diary section from coming up in search engines. Of course, if you're ever embarrassed about people you know finding you on a weight loss forum then please use a username that is anonymous and avoid posting anything too identifying.

Having said that, if I do make it private then I need people to please post questions, recipes etc in the appropriate sections of the forum so that people can find them. This is important, as most people find this forum through searching for a recipe or asking a question in google etc that has previously been asked here also it makes it hard for people to go back and find this information if it's hidden in diaries. If these questions are asked in a forum that is hidden then they will not show up when people search in a search engine for them, meaning they won't find us and may not even find the answer to their question and thus may never proceed with their diet, do it wrong and then think it's not working and give up, get the wrong advice etc.

I would like to think we have a pretty good informational forum and community here and we should always make sure people can find and know about us :)

Let me know your thoughts.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: I am thinking of making the diary section private, would like feedback!

I found this site by searching BT on google.. I don't see it as a bad idea making the diaries private until someone is a member/ registered user..
      This site has been a godsend for me not only for recipes but for motivation and like I said to you for research :)
      I like to lurke in people diaries to see what they eating and how they doing with Losing/ highs and lows etc.
      I think I would choose it to be private too..
      People would still be able to find the site wouldn't they? And how long are you a guest when you first register?

[IMG:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w3yRik0/weight.png]

If your still looking for that one person to change your life, take a look in the mirror...

Venus, with the google thing, what I mean is sometimes people will post their recipes or ask their diet related questions (kind of things people search for) in their diaries instead of in the appropriate section. I do have a thread stickied asking people not to do this with recipes because then it makes it harder to find the recipe etc but it still happens - I don't think people always look at the threads that I have stickied in each section. But if I do privatise the section, this will make them harder to find again - not just for new people, but some members also use google to search for things on here also.

Of course anything posted in the other sections will still be easily found in google etc :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Also, with who can view the diary section, I will probably make it viewable from the moment a users registration has been approved by me, rather then wait until things like signatures etc are available.

Thanks sherrie, sorry I am not the smartest when it comes to most things technical :)
      I think it would be a really good idea for them to be private to "outsiders" then.
      FYI I only posted a recipe on my page coz it not BT approved 0.o

[IMG:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w3yRik0/weight.png]

If your still looking for that one person to change your life, take a look in the mirror...

You don't need a recipe to be approved to post in the recipe section, just post it as a low carb recipe, doesn't have to be posted in the BT recipe thread if you're concerned it wouldn't be allowed on BT :)

Hi Sherrie and All
      yes Im still here and have loved reading everyones journies and will be back after Mad March. I actually just assumed that the diarys could only be accessed by registered users and members so I just did a google with my user name and BT and guess what came up??? yep this site and then it gave me the option to see results including apinchofhealth and it showed threads I had commented on if I took out the BT then my diary came up so took awhile but got there.
      Have a great day
      Lea
      If it's meant to be it's up to me!

is there not a way you can let the users select which posts in their diary they want to be private for members only ? that way they can have it set to default private and still change to public when theyre posting recipies / menu plans etc in their diaries.. kidna like facebook how u get to choose what audience sees what statuses ..?

I did have a bit in the bipolar thread i wanted to remove, althought when i origianlly talked about it it was okay but times change and so do people and i think the people involved would be upset to read it.. it would be nice if we could change our past posts privacy to members if they become too personal due to cicumstance changes later on down the track
      [IMG:http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Not even I can do that. The entire diary section is private but in all honesty recipes shouldn't be there as that is what the recipe section is for. No-one will search diaries for recipes.

You can point me to your post and what you want done but people should always think before posting about others whether they wish for them to see or not. If any doubt don't post it. This rule goes for anywhere on the internet.

I have posted heaps of very personal stuff on here when Garry was going through his depression (with his permission of course as he thinks its important for people to talk about it so it isn't so taboo and is the one whom encouraged me to) but when I wrote my rants I tried to keep in mind that certain people may come across it, if I wasn't comfortable with wearing that, I didn't post it.

I know sometimes there's always that heat of the moment but well at least now the diary section is permanently private.

Yes :)

Only concern is there would be lots of shy lurkers who probably watch others progress such as your progress and may stop now. I hope they don't let it stop them, they can set themselves to invisible mode in their user profile - at the same token there may be some that may feel more comfortable now that it is private.