Daily Dose of Coconut Oil

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Daily Dose of Coconut Oil

Hi,

I am having about a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee each morning after reading so many good things about it. I didn't like the taste or the way it sat as an oil-slick on the coffee at first, but I have found a way to mix it well, added a little cinnamon and now I just love it. I have been doing this for about 4 weeks now. Problem is, I don't know if it is really doing anything.....

I can't see any remarkable results or changes, my skin is worse than it has been in ages and I seem to be getting the odd craving for sweet stuff. I gave up sugar about two or three years ago and have had absolutely no trouble with that at all until now.

Maybe this is just coincidence? I'm disappointed because now I really like the taste of it in my coffee. Anyone else had this type of result (or lack of) with the coconut oil?
    • Re: Daily Dose of Coconut Oil

Thank you for this info because I have been thinking of adding it to my coffee as well - now I will hold off - the thought of the oil slick puts me off too - hopefully regarding your skin it is bad before it completely clears up - I have heard how good it is for your skin also - keep us informed :)

Hey Daisy! :)

Always good to hear from old members that have been absent for a while that they're still going strong!

I haven't taken coconut oil religiously for ages which I need to do again but what I can remember last time was that it helped a lot with pimples. If I remember correctly when my hormones were a real mess I was getting lots of acne on my face and upper body and the coconut oil cleared up my upper body, I had to use B5 to settle down my oily skin and clear up the rest.

Hopefully what Kel said is what is happening and the coconut oil is just clearing everything out.

Do you eat lindt at all? making coconut bark with melted chocolate (or unsweetened cocoa powder) and coconut oil is another good way, I also found coconut oil went well with any coconut or curry based cooking/baking.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie wrote:

Hey Daisy! :)

Always good to hear from old members that have been absent for a while that they're still going strong!

I haven't taken coconut oil religiously for ages which I need to do again but what I can remember last time was that it helped a lot with pimples. If I remember correctly when my hormones were a real mess I was getting lots of acne on my face and upper body and the coconut oil cleared up my upper body, I had to use B5 to settle down my oily skin and clear up the rest.

Hopefully what Kel said is what is happening and the coconut oil is just clearing everything out.

Do you eat lindt at all? making coconut bark with melted chocolate (or unsweetened cocoa powder) and coconut oil is another good way, I also found coconut oil went well with any coconut or curry based cooking/baking.

I cant stomach coconut oil plain or mixed with stuff! ICK!
      I found a wonderful way of making coconut rough chocolate with it though :D

1 tb melted coconut oil
      2 tb coconut (dessicated)
      1 tsp 'sugar' substitute
      - mix together and press into a pan or into individual patty pans ( you want the mix quite dry so mix in coconut till there isn't any oil pooling at the bottom)
      then...
      1 tb melted coconut oil
      2 tb cocoa
      1 tsp 'sugar' substitute
      + optional flavouring (I like peppermint essence)
      - drizzle this over the top of your coconut mixture
      - pop the lot in the freezer and wait 1 hour
      - break it up and eat!

Thanks for the replies, yes, it's been a while since I've posted but I still check in on the forum and mostly get my info from posts that are already here.

I have one of those Aldi coffee machines and I heat a little milk in the microwave, put in a spoonful of coconut oil and a pinch of cinnamon, then use one of those battery operated milk frothers to whip it up. Then I add the coffee. This blends the milk and oil perfectly (no separation) and gives a nice frothy coffee.

I am hoping that my skin will get better, usually it's pretty good, maybe just a phase..... I'm hoping.

Thanks for the chocolate ideas. I have made the bark, but not in the two layers, I like the sound of that. And, yes, I looooove lindt, it's the only choc I eat. I have made the bark with cocoa but not with actual chocolate, so I will definitely try that too. Can't use the oil in cooking because my boyfriend hates it and can pick anything that has even the tiniest bit in.

I also use it as a moisturiser sometimes, directly on my face and in my hair. Also make a great facial scrub with coconut oil and the Banaban Coconut Crunch. Haven't done that for a while though because of my breakouts.....hmmmm, maybe I should try it, can't get any worse huh.

I'll stick with it in my coffee and see what happens.