Easy Home made Yoghurt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Easy Home made Yoghurt

Hi All
      I have seen some of you talking about making your own yoghurt, while I don't do it a good friend of mine has lost 27+ Kg over the last 3 years by clean eating and lots of exercise so thought I would share her recipe with you. (Sherrie please move if its not in the right section or delete link if I shouldn't share it)

beckhomemade.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/homemade-yoghurt.html

Homemade Yoghurt

While checking out past recipes on my favourite blogs, I came across this recipe for Home made yoghurt. I am a major yoghurt fan, not everyone is, but I have yoghurt every single day! Natural yoghurt is my favourite, not only does it have all the probiotic goodies, but also has hardly any sugar, the only sugar being what is found naturally in milk (in most instances).

So when I came across this recipe to make your own, and saw how easy to was I thought I have to give this one a shot. I've never been one to promote making yoghurt at home, but this recipe may have just converted me!

Ingredients:
      1 L milk (skin/whole up to you)
      2 tbs milk powder (this is optional but helps make the yoghurt thicker)
      1/4 cups yoghurt (from a store bought natural yoghurt or a previous batch you've all ready done)

Method:

*Note, this is an over night recipe (or 12 hour job). Doing it over night is the best way to go, that way it's done when you get up in the morning.

1) Slowly heat up the milk and milk powder in a large stainless steel pan until it reaches 85-90 degrees. I used a thermometer like they use at the local Barista to get the temp of the milk right for your favourite coffee. Whisk as you go, but you can leave it for a while before you have to start doing this, but do check it every now and then to make sure it doesn't catch on the bottom.

2) When the milk has reached 85-90 degrees, take it off the heat and cover it with a lid until it cooles to 50 degrees (about 20 mins to half an hour for this to happen).

3) Now would be the best time to clean and steralise your glass jars. Wash them in hot, soapy water and then dry them in an oven set at 60 degrees for 20-30 mins.

4) When the milk has cooled down to 50 degrees, ladel out 1/4 cup of the milk into a bowl, and add the 1/4 cup of yoghurt and mix very well. Once mixed, add this mixture back to the milk and mix really really well. Every now and then you will need to buy some yoghurt to make this just so the cultures stay at their best.

5) Turn off the oven, take out your jars, and ladel the contents into the jars one by one. Almost fill each jar to the top (this mixture does about 2 pasta sauce size jars), and putting the lids on tightly as you go.

6) When the oven is mostly cool, wrap the yoghurt jars in a thick towel each, and put them in the oven to cure over night. DO NOT TURN THE OVEN BACK ON! I am only suggesting the oven because it is a dry, breeze free area that you can store the jars while they are doing their thing. If you have a pantry or cupboard that you can put them in, go for it!

7) When they are done, they should be thick and the lids quite possibly have vacuum sealed themselves. Store in the fridge like any yoghurt for up to a couple of weeks.

8) Flavour how ever you like. Some suggestions are by adding honey or jam to the finished product. I am going to try and flavour before setting in the future to see what happens... watch this space for the results!

*adapted from easypeasyorganic.com

I'll be having mine with my breakfast muesli every morning ... yumm!

Enjoy! x
      Posted by beckley78 at 08:30

Happy Yoghurt making
      Lea
      If it's meant to be it's up to me!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: popped quote into quote tags ().