Thai Fish Cakes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Thai Fish Cakes

I've been craving Thai food lately and upon flicking through a few of my Thai cookbooks, I've bookmarked some of the more low carb recipes within. So I thought I'd share a few here, with their respective nutritional values too. Of course, being Thai food, ingredients such as soy sauce, brown sugar, palm sugar etc are used in various recipes and can be substituted accordingly (with tamari for soy sauce, for example). However, take a look at the nutritional info I've added at the end of each recipe and you may be surprised as they're all pretty low carb as is, it's up to you. So get your woks out and enjoy!

Thai Fish Cakes

Ingredients:

500g skinless, redfish fillets, boned
      2 tbsp red curry paste (see recipe below)
      2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, torn
      2 green onions, coarsely chopped
      1 tbsp fish sauce
      1 tbsp lime juice
      2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
      3 snake beans (30g), chopped finely
      2 fresh small red Thai chillies, chopped finely
      peanut oil, for deep-frying

Method:

1. Cut fish into small pieces. Blend or process fish with red curry paste, lime leaves, green onion, fish sauce & lime juice until mixture forms a smooth paste. Combine fish mixture in a medium bowl with coriander, beans and chilli.

2. Roll heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls with wet hands; flatten balls into fish cake shape. Place on a try & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

3. Just before serving, heat oil in wok; deep-fry fish cakes, in batches, until browned lightly and cooked through. Drain on absorbant paper; serve with a dipping sauce of your choice and/or lime wedges, if desired.

Makes: 16 fish cakes
      Per fish cake: 3.7g total fat (0.7g saturated fat); 263kJ (63 calories); 0.4g Carbohydrate; 6.7 g protein; 0.4g fibre.
    • Re: LC Thai food recipes

Oh, these look gooood :D

Thankyou so much for sharing. We love Thai food and I've been wanting to try and make my own Red curry paste and Tom Yum for a while now. Will definately be trying these.....

And just for something different, and slightly on the same theme, thought I'd share this.....

Apparently it's no longer politically correct to direct a joke at any racial or ethnic minority, so try this one:

An Englishman, a Scotsman, an Irishman, a Welshman, a Latvian, a Turk, an Aussie, a German, a Yank, an Egyptian, a Jap, a Mexican, a Spaniard, a Russian, a Pole, a Lithuanian, a Swede, a Finn, an Israeli, a Romanian, a Bulgarian, a Serb, a Swiss, a Greek, a Singaporean, an Italian, a Norwegian, a Libyan, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist and an African went to a night club.

The bouncer said, "Sorry, I can’t let you in without a Thai."
      :D:D:D