Low Carb Protein Balls

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Protein Balls

I made these low-carb-protein-balls this afternoon. It was spur of the moment, I had already eaten some before thinking to take a photo and post recipes. I was going to roll mine in desiccated coconut but couldn't find any in the pantry. If using nuts you might want to roast them or quickly dry fry first. I intentionally didn't make these very sweet so that they are less likely to cause cravings. Metric or non metric doesn't really matter as its all in proportion either way. I think I made around 8 :)

Low Carb Protein Balls

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons Nut Butter

1/2 cup Unflavoured protein powder

2-3 Tablespoons Coconut cream

Splash of vanilla extract

Dusting of pure stevia extract (if desired) or if not using cranberries/dried fruit, add sweetener at this point to taste or use flavoured protein powder such as vanilla and omit the vanilla extract.

Extras: (you can change these and replace with nuts, choc nibs/chips or other seeds, this was spur of the moment so I just used what I had on hand)

2 Tablespoons of dried cranberries (I use Willowvale organic as they're only 3.9g per 100g)

1-2 Tablespoons of Sunflower Seeds (changed to sunflower seeds as pumpkin seeds are quite high)

1-2 Tablespoons Chia seed

1-2Tablespoons of sesame seed

Optional:

You can roll the balls in desiccated/shredded coconut, chopped/flaked nuts or cocoa powder.

Method:

Mix base ingredients adding the coconut cream gradually, basically you just want to add enough cream to bind everything together.

Add extra ingredients, shape into balls and then roll into optional ingredients if desired. Set in fridge to firm up and enjoy.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Article: Low Carb Protein Balls

These look great! I imagine I could have these just using the base ingredients while I try and stay in a ketogenic state? I'm trying to keep carbs to only about 5-6% of my daily intake at the moment and fats at about 70-75% so think these look perfect for me. Or will the nut butter bring the carbs up too much?
    • Hello, the nut butter should be ok, my kitchen scales broke so I a can't add things up at the moment but people commonly have say a tablespoon of natural peanut butter on a low carb diet. Both macro (woolies) and melrose (coles and other supermarkets and health food shops) make almond butters as well as a nut butter with equal amounts of almond, brazil and cashew nuts which tastes similar to peanut butter but lower in carbs. The brazil nuts are a great source of selenium so good to have in your diet.