Yummy Low Carb Trail Mix

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Yummy Low Carb Trail Mix

I got this idea from a mix made by Brookfarms that Garry bought home after a Virgin flight once. I liked it so much, I thought I'd make a low carb version. :)

Yummy Low Carb Trail Mix

Ingredients:

1 cup of dried cranberries (I used Willowvale Organics brand as they're the only low carb dried cranberries I can find @ 3.9g per 100g)
      3 cups of raw nuts (I chose almonds, hazelnuts, macadamias and pistachios)
      1 cup of seeds (I used sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
      100g 85% dark chocolate or cocoa nibs (I chopped my lindt but you can melt and make little buttons so it's not rough)
      1 tsp macadamia or coconut oil
      salt to taste

Method:

If using hazelnuts roast in oven on a separate tray so that you can remove skins after.

All other nuts toss in the oil then add salt to taste, mix well and then bake in oven until lightly roasted. Just before ready add the seeds.

Remove from oven and allow to cool, you might want to halve the macadamias (if using) at this point, rub off hazelnut skins, halve and add to nut mixture and toss well.

When cool add cranberries and chocolate bits/buttons and mix well

Enjoy :)
    • I can't find any unsweetened in Australia, these are sweetened with apple juice but they are only 3.9g per 100g so it must only be a little. Any others I have found have been much higher.

I've even toyed with the idea of growing some myself. If I find some frozen ones I might try and see if I can dry them but even frozen ones have been hard to find my way lately!