Low Carb Slow-Cooker Hungarian Beef Goulash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Slow-Cooker Hungarian Beef Goulash

Crockpot Hungarian Beef Goulash

This is a really yummy recipe! Cheap beef cuts are good for this, just buy them in bulk, cube them and then freeze in 1kg lots. Don't forget many more slow cooker recipes here

1kg Beef, cubed
      1 Onion, sliced
      Mushrooms, sliced say a couple of handfuls
      1 Carrot, sliced (you can add more if your carb counts allow)
      2 Zucchini, sliced
      2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
      2-4 cups beef stock (depending on slow cooker)
      1/4 cup Tomato paste
      1tbl Paprika (non metric use 4 teaspoons)
      2tsp Marjoram, dried
      Salt and pepper to taste
      Butter for frying
      Sour cream to taste, I use a good amount as it thickens it up

Method

1. Melt butter in pan, brown beef in batches then place in slow cooker

2. Saute mushrooms, garlic and onions in pan with butter then chuck in slow cooker with veg.

3. Combine stock, tomato paste, marjoram, paprika and seasonings in pan, bring to boil then pour over beef.

4. Cover slow cooker and cook 1 hour high, 7 hours low.

5. Stir in sour cream in the final 10 minutes

6. Serve with mashed cauli and green beans, this was really good, my son isn't a fan of mushroomy things but he loved this!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Low Carb Slow-Cooker Hungarian Beef Goulash

Are all these slow cooker recipes for Induction stage? They don't seem to specify how much one can eat.
      I would like the carb count. I'm not doing too well in the first 2 weeks. I lost 10 lbs. gained 3 back somehow
      and I didn't change anything I ate. I walk & do light weights. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I
      haven't exercised long enough or hard enough to gain muscle. I'll see how it goes in the next week.
      Has anyone heard of "The Body Type" diet?

If that gain was over night then it is water weight which could signal that you're out of ketosis or it could be TOM (time of the month). For some reason TOM is able to take you out of ketosis for a bit even though your eating is fine, I guess that's why we commonly crave sweet things around TOM.

This recipe is easily an induction recipe, you can omit the carrot if you want to as carrot is not generally an induction vegetable (carrot is 5g carbs per 100g).

To get an accurate carb count the ingredients need to be weighed and I don't have them here so I can not weigh (sorry). With the tomato paste you just want as little ingredients as you can so check labels, try to find one without added sugar, the lower carb the better. If you have trouble finding one just use a passata (half a cup or so) which contains just tomato and maybe some salt nothing else.

Once you have all the ingredients, weigh them whilst they're still raw before popping them into the slowcooker then you can add them all up and work out how many serves to divide it by to reach the carb count you're after.

Thanks Sherrie. In my case it would be water weight. As for the carbs & serving portion in slow cookers, I can
      probably figure it all out by counting the carbs in each ingredient before cooking. I don't understand the weighing
      process, so I'll do it this way, it might work. I prefer a one pot meal to having everything separate. Probably also
      tastes better . Besides, I can put everything in the pot & let it do the cooking without me standing over a hot stove.