Low Carb Carbonara with Spaghetti Squash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Carbonara with Spaghetti Squash

This recipe is a good way to use up Christmas leftovers such as egg yolks from Pavlova and ham. I wont give exact amounts because it really doesn't matter, carbonara is not an exact science. You don't have to use spaghetti squash, you can using zucchini or shirataki noodles, it doesn't matter they just need to be hot when adding the sauce because the heat of the pasta is what cooks the egg.

Low Carb Carbonara with Spaghetti Squash

Ham, chopped
      Mushroom, sliced
      onion, chopped
      Garlic, crushed
      egg yolks (we had 6 egg yolks in ours which made 4 serves)
      cream (I am pretty sure traditional carbonara doesn't even have cream so this is only optional)
      parsley chopped parsley
      Parmesan or similar
      pepper
      Spaghetti squash or other pasta substitute
      Optional: reserved parsley sprigs and Parmesan for garnish

If using spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthways, remove seeds and bake cut side down in oven at 170C for 45-60 mins depending on size.

When your pasta is almost done, fry off onion, ham, mushroom and garlic.

When spaghetti squash is done just tease out the strands with a fork.

Add hot pasta to ham mixture.

Beat egg yolks with some cream, add parmesan, pepper and parsley then stir into pasta. The heat of the pasta will cook the eggs without scrambling them.

Serve and garnish with extra parsley and parmesan if you wish

Enjoy! :)
    • Re: Low Carb Carbonara with Spaghetti Squash

I love the look of this and made the chicken one you posted here and it was fabulous. Unsure if we can get the spaghetti squash here. I googled it just the other day and got confused with the preparation of it ?????
      Less of me - more of life !

I grow mine it's easy to grow and keeps for a long time, I am eating ones from last summer!

I have seen them in farmers markets, it probably depends on how warm your weather has been over the last few months as to whether they are available yet. But in the mean time lightly fried zucchini strips will do :)

I used to bake mine whole but I find it easier to cut mine in half and scoop out the seeds before putting in the oven, much easier that way.

Wow what an amazing looking vegetable. I will enquire at my local fruit shop. It would be lovely to have another fake noodle type thing besides Zucchini and I am not a fan of the smelly slim pasta anymore :)
      Thanks Sherrie - this looks great !
      Less of me - more of life !