No longer able to lose weight?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• No longer able to lose weight?

I have successfully lost weight in the past. I lost a good 11kgs a few years ago on BodyTrim and Dukan and either one of those were my 'go-to diets' for a quick few kilo losses. Sure, I yoyo, but it's only by a couple of kilos just a few times a year.

At the beginning of last year i gave up smoking (after 20 years) and quickly gained another 10 kilos. "Here we go", I said to myself, "this should be easy, I'll just do Bodytrim for a little while to feel normal again."

I tried that in July, September and again in December. I switched from BodyTrim to Dukan, even a week or so of intense exercise thrown in. The old smoking me would have lost a few kilos within the first week.

However, the new non-smoking me, the year-older me (41yo) had lost not a kilo.

Actually .6 of a kilo.

All of that, for 600 grams of weight loss.

So of course one weekend I consulted Dr Google and self-diagnosed myself with having thyroid problems. I went to a real GP - two in fact - who took blood tests and told me everything was normal. They couldn't do anything else for me.

Meanwhile, this inability to lose weight has crept up the stress scale to become the number one problem, above work and all else.

Can anyone else empathise or share any similar life experiences with me? Or suggest another health practitioner I can consult for further study... what is going on with me right now is not normal.

thanks for listening and I hope to gain some further knowledge from y'all.
    • Re: No longer able to lose weight?

Hey Shimmie, have you seen the thyroid 101 thread on this forum? I think it's in the women's health section. There's some links there that you may find useful.

Did you ask for a copy of your blood tests? Always get a copy of any test you have, it's very important!

i am on similar journey because unless i restrict calories to 400 a day i stack on weight

doctors do not look for sub clinical symptoms of hypothyroidism or adrenal exhaustion unfortunately

please do not restrict calories below what the books recommend for your height because then your organs start canibalising each other and just keep bugging those doctors till you find one that finds out what is going on

dr google advises that there are 5 seperate blood tests i should have and the doctors routinely only do one of these and if that is so called normal they do not investigate any further so request all 5 tests

the ones i have listed are

TSH
      T3
      T4
      TPO
      aanti thyroglobulin antibodies

please keep us informed about your progress because some of the rest of us no doubt have thyroid and adrenal issues which are undiagnosed

Oh dear.....you poor thing....that is so frustrating....I wish I could help but all I can think to say is just don't give up. I was in my early 40's when I first started to try and lose some weight....like you I would go up and down a bit (also gave up smoking), I have lost just over 10 kgs.....its taken me over 12 months and I am now nearly 54....AAAAhhhhh, I think your body changes as you get older, inactivity, menopause and hormonal issues....it all makes it so hard to lose weight. Just keep on trying to be your best, you will eventually find a WOE that suits you. Goodluck....there is heaps of information on this site....and Sherrie is very knowledgeable. :)
      Mantra for 2014.....YOU CAN DO IT, NEVER GIVE UP! :cheer:
      [Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMaitr6/weight.png]

Try cutting out anything that can cause a food sensitivity, increase fat, reduce protein and cut carbs. After my last stall I did the following:
      Cut egg whites (yolk only from locally farmed free range eggs)
      Cut nightshades
      Cut dairy

Increased coconut oil, MCT oil, stuck to mainly bacon, grass fed rib eye or scotch fillet, green veg cooked in coconut oil, after a few weeks stuck around 82-83kg I managed to drop to 78kg in a month.

Oh I also started eating a lot more organ meat which is super filling due to being so nutrient dense.

Other things to try is intermittent fasting.
      Strength training works well.

For stress and well being:
      Meditate
      Do free flow activities with a clear head, like walking, and reading.
      I find focusing on gym works, like when I get changed I say to myself 100% focus on sets and breathing, so during the set I just focus on counting reps and breath, block everything else, which is a free flowing state, I find it hard to actually meditate, so I find this is a not so bad alternative, can be done with any exercise.

intermittent fasting seems to be popular these days but i have been reading that Mama Cass from the mamas and the papas did the intermittent fasting. She lost a lot of weight that way but her heart gave out

I am with Sherrie that we should all take things slower and safer and do not starve yourself more to get results faster.

Perhaps if you observe yourself you will find that some foods set you off to crave more food whereas some foods you can have in moderation and do not set you off

the trick is to find out which foods activate your famished buttons and avoid them

I also recommend taurine as it makes you feel unhungry

I bought some powder from ebay and have that in the morning in some water

and in case your thyroid is sabotaging your best efforts how about a kelp supplement? it has iodine and other nutrients

good much

initforlove5 wrote:

intermittent fasting seems to be popular these days but i have been reading that Mama Cass from the mamas and the papas did the intermittent fasting. She lost a lot of weight that way but her heart gave out

I am with Sherrie that we should all take things slower and safer and do not starve yourself more to get results faster.

Perhaps if you observe yourself you will find that some foods set you off to crave more food whereas some foods you can have in moderation and do not set you off

the trick is to find out which foods activate your famished buttons and avoid them

I also recommend taurine as it makes you feel unhungry

I bought some powder from ebay and have that in the morning in some water

and in case your thyroid is sabotaging your best efforts how about a kelp supplement? it has iodine and other nutrients

good much

I agree with you about finding the foods that set you off - I am in the middle of making another confession which is the 2nd for the week & making my confession allows me to forgive myself & get on with healthy eating - my trigger is biscuits & bread but why do I senselessly shove them into my face when I don't even want them :noidea: that is part of the reason why I am here - those babies have made you very wise - give them a kiss because you will be rewarded with better health :)

thanks

you keep shoving those biscuits in your mouth because once you have some it takes three weeks before the craving for them goes away

stick to it and you will win but give it three weeks

yeah babies have made me wise because I intend to live long enough to be great granny to THEIR children :D

I can relate to your frustration, Shimmie. Although I don't need to lose weight, it would be nice to lose maybe 1 kg, just to have a 'pay-off'. Maintenance is just as demanding as weight loss. I started strength training about 6 weeks ago and I've read it will take 1-2 months for my body to stop storing glycogen (stored with water). I'm patient.
      By going fully LCHF this past week may help as well and I do like the food choices. Absolutely no carb pangs. Hang in there ;)
      Humming along in maintenance... ^^
      Patty