Low Carb Rhubarb Muffin with Cheesecake Cream

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Rhubarb Muffin with Cheesecake Cream

Yummy low carb rhubarb muffin recipe with a cheesecake cream topping, Garry commented that it was beautiful and the best he has had, Maya loved it too!

I intentionally looked for a muffin recipe that used cream cheese hoping this might help and I substituted the flour with almond meal, baking powder and also added some xanthum gum in case it helps. I only made a small recipe that makes 6 muffins just in case this didn't work so feel free to double the recipe :)

I have lots of rhubarb growing at the moment and a need to experiment more with baking with tagatose. I remembered that my low carb pumpkin cheesecake recipe that I made late last year using tagatose had a short cooking time and low heat. I am thinking that the cooking time and temperature plus what it is combined with or how much is the key to baking with it as it has a tendency to brown quickly during baking if not careful. I have tried pavlova with no success. The reason I wish to experiment more with the tagatose is because it has a nice clean taste like sugar and caramalises, I have made pistachio brittle using it with no problems. I buy it from iHerb, its very popular so often runs out of stock quickly, I just click on notify so they email me when its back in.

Of course you could use any sweetener with this.

With the cheesecake cream, make it like a cheesecake e.g. beat the cream cheese until smooth before adding the cream. Silly me wasnt thinking and just chucked them both in and the result were some lumps. This makes more then is needed for 6 muffins.

Straight out of the oven:

With the cheesecake cream:

Low Carb Rhubarb Muffin with Cheesecake Cream

1 cup (100g / 3.5 oz) Almond Meal
      3/4-1 cup Rhubarb, diced
      125g / 4.4oz Cream cheese, softened
      1/2 cup Tagatose or sweetener of your choice (can't buy tagatose anywhere anymore so try erythritol!)
      2 eggs
      60g / 2.1 oz butter, softened
      2 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp cinnamon, ground
      1/2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
      1/4 tsp xanthum gum (last time I made these I used a tablespoon of beef gelatin instead which worked well)
      Pinch of salt

Cheesecake Cream

125g / 4.4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
      1/2 cup / 4.4 fl oz thickened cream
      1/2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
      Tagatose/Sweetener to taste (I don't use much)

Preheat oven to 170C/340F (mine was fan forced)

Line 6 cup muffin tray (normal size) with muffin patty cases.

Mix dry ingredients together, set aside.

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth then add eggs one at a time, do not over beat.

Fold in dry ingredients until just combined then fold in rhubarb.

Pour into muffin cases and bake for 25-30 mins until golden. If you use tagatose keep a close eye just in case :)

With the cheesecake cream, beat cream cheese until smooth then add vanilla and cream and slowly add a small amount of sweetener to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

When ready take out of oven and cool, you can serve warm if you like, the patty cans may stick to the bottom a little but they came away clean the next day after spending the night in the fridge. I bought to room temperate before eating.

Serve topped with cheesecake cream.

Enjoy :)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Sherrie: conversions ().

• Re: Low Carb Rhubarb Muffin with Cheesecake Cream

Hi Sherrie,

You are a true sweetie (the low carb kind, of course ;)).

Thank you so much for posting the recipe and great photo.

Now all I have to do is order some tagatose!

Will head over to iherb (will try and use your reference number).

I did some reading today on tagatose (the "sugar free blues article" from another post here at pinchofhealth. While tagatose sounds like a great find hopefully it is not an issue "laxative" wise.

Have your family had any problems in this regard?

Again, many thanks and hope my muffins look as good as yours when I cook them.
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!
    • Re: Low Carb Rhubarb Muffin with Cheesecake Cream

No problems yet, time will tell, I think sugar alcohols are pretty individual except the common ones which effect most people.
      I don't use sweeteners much as unless I bake the only sweet treat I have is Lindt, my coffees are unsweetened now. It's definitely not like maltitol etc for me as that would bloat me straight away with a small amount. Xylitol has an effect if I have too much and erythritol only did in the beginning when those well naturally bars first came out.

It's had no effect on Garry and he's definitely not used to using sugar alcohols but with his chemo he's taking laxatives anyway!

No reason they can't be made with other sweeteners anyway but if you use erythritol you may need a little more as it's not as sweet.