ozgal - thai chicken curry (with or without konjac noodles)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• ozgal - thai chicken curry (with or without konjac noodles)

Howdy,

Here's recipe for easy Thai chicken curry I've been having with konjac noodles. You can eat with or without the noodles as you wish. Can also be served alongside LC veges if desired.

Makes 4 decent serves (it's rich and filling) and can be served alongside steamed LC veges (I find it filling enough if using the noodles).
      Ingredients:

2 packets of Konjac noodles of your choice - (most packs are around 300g with liquid/200g of actual noodles once water is removed)
      2tbs oil of your choice
      500g chicken breast (or thighs if you prefer), diced
      1 large (or 2 small) onions, diced
      2 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into four and then diced
      1 medium red capsicum, diced
      1 bunch of bok choy (comes as bunch of three usually tied together - use them all) - chopped
      1/2 jar of Five Tastes Thai red curry paste (one jar is 210g - I use half the jar 105 g)
      1 x 270g can of Ayam coconut cream

Method:

Fill large bowl with water and empty contents of Konjac noodles into it. Put bowl in sick and leave under running water for few minutes to remove the "smell" (don't worry the smell does not remain in the final dish). Empty noodles into colander and drain. Lay out some paper towels and put noodles onto them. Pat dry. Snip noodles with kitchen scissors and set aside.

Prepare veges.
      Heat oil in large frypan/skillet or wok (I use a large shallow non stick skillet).
      Saute onion and capsicum until onion is golden.
      Add the zucchini and saute for a minute or two.
      Remove veges from pan into a bowl and set aside.
      Add diced chicken to pan (should not need to add any extra oil - non stick pan helps here) and saute chicken lightly (does not have to cook through). Toss the chicken so both sides are lightly cooked.
      Add the Five Tastes Thai red curry paste to the chicken and stir. Cook for couple of minutes - will smell fragrant.
      Add the veges in bowl back to the pan and mix with chicken and sauce.
      Add the coconut cream and mix through.
      Bring to just below the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
      Add chopped bok choy to pan and mix through (may release some liquid into the curry but that is fine - will evaporate). Cook further 5-10 minutes depending how soft/crisp you like bok choy.

Time to add noodles (if you will not be freezing the dish). Add noodles and mix through until heated.

If freezing the dish, do not add noodles (they don't freeze well). Just prepare noodles separately and add to curry at time of eating.

If eating curry within two days you can add all noodles to curry and store leftovers in fridge - reheat as needed).

I have not calculated the carbs but the highest ingredient is the curry paste (10.8g per 100g), which equates to 2.7g per serve.
      The rest of the ingredients are all carb friendly so should not do any damage.
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!

The post was edited 2 times, last by ozgal ().

• Made this with Chang Noodle's - they have a new range out "LO-Cal" containing Konjac that has less than .5 gms carb . I think the cals are slightly higher than the Slenda range. They were less than 1/2 the price of the Slenda noodles which is always a big plus:-)

And this is a really great and tasty meal-)