Low Carb Hungarian Beef Goulash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Hungarian Beef Goulash

Garry has started playing with my slow cooker and made a low carb Hungarian goulash in it last night. It was really yum so I wanted to share, I just had mine with beans as Garry and Maya had gluten free pasta but you could use zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or even make mashed cauliflower which is what I would usually do. We had enough for dinner last night, some lunch for Maya and dinner for us tonight!

Low Carb Hungarian Beef Goulash

Ingredients:

1-1.5kg/2.2-3.3lb Gravy Beef, cubed
      400g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
      500ml/17fl oz beef stock
      250ml/8.5fl oz red wine
      30ml/1oz red wine vinegar
      2 red capsicums/peppers seeded and diced
      2 large brown onions peeled and chopped
      4 garlic cloves crushed
      2 Tbl/1.5oz butter
      Olive Oil
      1.5Tbl/1 oz of sweet hungarian paprika
      4 teaspoons of tomato paste
      1 tsp caraway seeds
      1 bay leaf
      Salt and pepper for seasoning
      Sour cream

Method:

Brown meat in batches in a fry pan with butter and olive oil and place in slow cooker.

Add onion to fry pan until golden then add spices/herbs until aromatic. Add capsicum, tomatoes, paste, wine, stock and red wine vinegar and bring to boil.

Stir, scraping up anything stuck to frypan and pour into slowcooker with the beef, stir then set to high for 3 hours.

When ready add some seasoning to taste and stir in some sourcream to thicken to desired consistency.

When serving add another dollop of sour cream on top.

Enjoy!
    • Don't see why not, either that or the oven :)

Garry does a poor mans bolo on the stove top that uses gravy beef, I'll ask him how long he has it on the stove for.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.