Low Carb Hungarian Beef Goulash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Hungarian Beef Goulash

Garry has started playing with my slow cooker and made a low carb Hungarian goulash in it last night. It was really yum so I wanted to share, I just had mine with beans as Garry and Maya had gluten free pasta but you could use zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or even make mashed cauliflower which is what I would usually do. We had enough for dinner last night, some lunch for Maya and dinner for us tonight!

Low Carb Hungarian Beef Goulash

Ingredients:

1-1.5kg/2.2-3.3lb Gravy Beef, cubed
      400g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
      500ml/17fl oz beef stock
      250ml/8.5fl oz red wine
      30ml/1oz red wine vinegar
      2 red capsicums/peppers seeded and diced
      2 large brown onions peeled and chopped
      4 garlic cloves crushed
      2 Tbl/1.5oz butter
      Olive Oil
      1.5Tbl/1 oz of sweet hungarian paprika
      4 teaspoons of tomato paste
      1 tsp caraway seeds
      1 bay leaf
      Salt and pepper for seasoning
      Sour cream

Method:

Brown meat in batches in a fry pan with butter and olive oil and place in slow cooker.

Add onion to fry pan until golden then add spices/herbs until aromatic. Add capsicum, tomatoes, paste, wine, stock and red wine vinegar and bring to boil.

Stir, scraping up anything stuck to frypan and pour into slowcooker with the beef, stir then set to high for 3 hours.

When ready add some seasoning to taste and stir in some sourcream to thicken to desired consistency.

When serving add another dollop of sour cream on top.

Enjoy!
    • Don't see why not, either that or the oven :)

Garry does a poor mans bolo on the stove top that uses gravy beef, I'll ask him how long he has it on the stove for.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Hi Sherrie,

I used a slightly different recipe.

1 kg shin of beef (or chuck steak if unavailable)
      3 tbsp smoky Hungarian paprika
      1 tbsp flour
      1 tsp salt
      1 tsp caraway seeds
      2 tbsp olive oil

2 onions, thinly sliced
      1 red pepper, cut into rounds

Cut the beef into large chunks. Mix paprika, flour, salt and caraway seeds together in a bowl then add the beef and toss to coat.
      Heat oven to 140 degrees Celsius.
      Heat oil in a heavy-based casserole dish over a medium-high heat, and then brown the meat in batches, being very careful not to crowd the pan. Remove when golden and crusted, and set aside.
      Scrape the bottom of the pan and add the onions and pepper, adding a little more fat if necessary. Cook until soft and starting to brown, then pick out the peppers and set aside. Stir the remaining flour and spice mixture into the onions and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring. Return the beef to the pan and add water just to cover. Scrape the bottom of the pan again, then put in the oven for 2.5 hours.

My notes/observations:

Although the recipe contains 1 tbsp of flour I did not worry too much - as it does not equate to much per individual serve.

Recipe says to pick out the peppers and put aside after sauteeing. Tip: Keep onions one side of pan, peppers the other. Makes easier to remove peppers later.

Original recipe says heat oven to 140 degrees Celsius.
      After first hour in oven I thought the heat was too low so I increased it to 220 degrees.
      All up, I pretty much stuck to the 2.5 hours in the oven.
      I removed the lid after first hour and a half.

The meat could have been a little more tender (i.e. it was not falling apart but not tough either). Possibly due to cut of meat or low temperature for first hour.
      The liquid turned into a lovely rich thick sauce.
      Made six serves (about half cup per serve).

Served it with steamed green beans tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper
      Steamed cauliflower that I then mashed with some butter, cream, 20g grated parmesan, salt and pepper (then put into casserole dish and baked for 30 minutes).

Rich meal - felt full all night long. Still felt full in the morning.

The post was edited 3 times, last by ozgal33 ().

• Hi all,
      Follow up to recipe above. Forgot to mention, return capsicum to the casserole during last hour of cooking.

Had leftovers for dinner second night - heated up in microwave. Was much nicer second night! Meat more tender and flavours more developed. Just had it alongside some of my reheated baked cauliflower mash.

Will be making this again.
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!