Low Carb Slow Cooked Beef

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Slow Cooked Beef

I thought I'd post the low carb slow cooked beef recipe that we have been having lately, this is also one for the low carb budget meals thread as its very cheap and we get heaps of meals out of this. This is adapted from a beef cheek recipe from a recipe book by Luke and Scott from last years MKR (the surfy paleo guys), its actually a really good book especially the savoury recipes and Garry is loving it because the recipes are simple rather then complicated. Not everything is low carb but most of them are and what isn't should be easily converted.

Instead of beef cheeks we just use gravy beef because its cheap and we also double the amount of meat they use so that we get another night out of this as it tastes even better the nest day. Garry used 2 carrots and 2 parsnips but you can change this and swap some out for celery and zucchini which is what I usually do when using the slow cooker. The mash can be anything, there's organic pumpkin that I grew in this photo but you could use cauliflower, celeriac or a combo. I think there was some water from the pumpkin but it doesn't really matter it up to you, I usually roast the pumpkin, scoop it out and drain it first to get rid of some of the water. The only important thing is that you have mash because they go really well together :)

I am using Garrys instructions so hopefully it's ok!

Low Carb Slow Cooked Beef

Ingredients:

1 kg Gravy Beef or other cheap cut
      4 large tomatoes or a can of whole tomatoes chopped
      1 onion chopped
      2 garlic cloves, crushed
      2 carrots, chopped
      2 parsnips, chopped
      1 TBL tomato paste
      400ml Beef Stock
      1 cinnamon stick
      1 star anise
      2 dried bay leaves
      Oil/fat for browning
      salt and pepper for seasoning

Method:

Brown beef in batches and place in slowcooker.

Saute onion and garlic in pan juices until translucent, add tomatoes and tomato paste then add stock, herbs and spices and bring to boil.

Add to meat with other vegetables and top with maybe 1-2 cups of boiling water just so that everything is covered.

Cook on low all day or for 4 hours on high.

When ready season with salt and pepper and serve over mash of your choice.

The flavour is really nice :)