Low Carb Pumpkin Pudding - Dairy Free

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Pumpkin Pudding - Dairy Free

I tried to make low carb pumpkin pancakes today but they just stuck to the pan so I chucked the remaining batter into ramekins and baked them not really knowing how they were going to turn out as the ingredients weren't quite right for a custard and because I already had baking powder in there I figured I best leave it as is. Turned out what I got was low carb pumpkin puddings with the texture of bread and butter pudding. This recipe will change as its tweaked into a proper recipe but I thought I'd share now. I have gelatin in mine but I cant imagine it being necessary, its just there for the health benefits.

This might be enough to make 3-4 ramekins depending on the size of the ramekin, only fill half way as these rise heaps whilst in the oven, they will sink afterwards.

Low Carb Pumpkin Pudding

Ingredients:

1 metric cup or 8.5 fl oz puree pumpkin (see notes below)
      3 eggs
      4 tsp pure beef gelatin
      4 tsp of sweetener of your choice (I used tagatose)
      1 tsp baking powder
      generous pinch of salt
      1/2 tsp cinnamon
      1/4 tsp tumeric
      1/4 tsp nutmeg
      1/2 tsp vanilla paste or extract

Method:

Preheat oven to 170C/340F (fan forced)

Place pumpkin in narrow jug and sift dry ingredients over the top. Blitz with stick blender until well combined then add eggs and vanilla and blitz again.

Spoon into battered ramekins and place in oven for around 30 or so minutes until skewer comes out clean.

Serve with either whipped cream/coconut cream or low carb ice cream

To Make Pumpkin Puree:

For my pumpkin puree I had baked half a pumpkin in the oven cut side down over a tray lined with baking paper at 170C/340C for an hour or so.

Once out of the oven I let it cook then scooped the flesh out into a bowl, drained the liquid and then blitz with a stick blender, cover and place in fridge. If any liquid settles later just pour it off.

The puree will freeze fine, I always line the top with baking paper to protect from freezer burn.

Enjoy :)
    • Re: Low Carb Pumpkin Pudding - Dairy Free

Tasted good and the texture was like bread and butter pudding so it wasn't quite a custard nor quite a cake if that make sense. Garry wants me to make it again with sultanas so he can get his bread and butter pudding fix :)