What to do, and how to tell if metabolism and hormones are lousy????

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• What to do, and how to tell if metabolism and hormones are lousy????

After nearly two months of doing Atkins and a previous few months slowly changing my eating, (and feeling better for it) I have come to the conclusion the both my metabolism and hormones are not working properly. :mad:

I was sitting here the other day trying to think of when my body worked properly last - guess what I couldn't remember - which means that it would have been at least 25 years ago!!! :eek: I shouldn't be surprised about my hormones though as it would seem (from much recent research) that hormones play a part in Lipodoemia.

What Im wondering is how I get tested and treated for these problems - Or should I just try to see a local naturopath and hope for the best?

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.
    • Re: What to do, and how to tell if metabolism and hormones are lousy????

Sherrie would be the best person to answer this - however in my opinion you need to talk to your GP . . . . ask him for some tests. There are many factors involved in losing weight and for some its a bit more complex, for most of us , the basic principal of taking in LESS than you are burning off is the key. Good luck. With best wishes Chris x
      Less of me - more of life !

ACNEM (Australian College of Nutrition and Metabolism) have a database on their website of all of the Drs and practitioners that have attended their courses with details on what areas they're interested in. You could try having a look through the Drs for your state and see if any are close to you. Some Drs are expensive and some are cheap it really depends. Tell them your issues and that you would like to check your sex hormones and metabolism. They should already know to test your free T3 and free t4 but you can always ask them as they are filling out the bloods form, it's good to check your thyroid antibodies as well. If you go to the thyroid 101 thread there should be links to articles on how to test your basal temperature, this is a test you can do at home whilst waiting. If you chart your basal temperatures and they're low, take them with you.

I've never had any real luck with Drs so I can't promise you that this will be a solution but it doesn't hurt to give it a try and get those tests done, make sure any test you have you get them to print out your results so that you can keep a copy for your own records.

Sherrie wrote:

ACNEM (Australian College of Nutrition and Metabolism) have a database on their website of all of the Drs and practitioners that have attended their courses with details on what areas they're interested in. You could try having a look through the Drs for your state and see if any are close to you. Some Drs are expensive and some are cheap it really depends. Tell them your issues and that you would like to check your sex hormones and metabolism. They should already know to test your free T3 and free t4 but you can always ask them as they are filling out the bloods form, it's good to check your thyroid antibodies as well. If you go to the thyroid 101 thread there should be links to articles on how to test your basal temperature, this is a test you can do at home whilst waiting. If you chart your basal temperatures and they're low, take them with you.

I've never had any real luck with Drs so I can't promise you that this will be a solution but it doesn't hurt to give it a try and get those tests done, make sure any test you have you get them to print out your results so that you can keep a copy for your own records.

Thanks Sherrie.
      The ACNEM doctors are a bit far away. So for now I think that I will be asking my local GP for further tests - but if they refuse I will have too.

I think that my bloodtests have shown that my thyroid function is ok - but reading more about thyroid tells me that there are actually a few different bloodtests - not just the common ones - And your right to suggest the basal temperature test as that more accurate too.
      - by the way the link in thyroids 101 isn't working - I just googled instead.

I never thought about getting copies of my bloodtests - what a good idea:encouragement:

Thanks- Going to try and book into my GP. (She more likely to let me have tests done than some others).
      Although I know that my eating and lack of exercise leaves a bit to be desired. But after a lifetime of bad habits and other signs, I just have a feeling that there is more going on.

The lightbulb just lit up:smiley_simmons: - don't ask me why it didn't occur to me before, but I guess that its possible that the radiation treatment the I had on my cerebellum 13 yrs ago has exacerbated or caused extra problems and Ive (and the doctors) just never noticed.

Yep - one in '93 (removed by surgery - no treatment), and a recurrence in '96 (this is when I was zapped {stereotactic radio surgery} - and gave me the delayed and permanent side effects of bad balance, co ordination, effected speech, mild double vision)

So am glad too:D I was too sick to care about the first tumour (was just glad there was a reason), the second tumour was a 'SURPRISE' that was picked up on MRI. After everything I was waiting for about 10 years for more bad news. :) It seems that the killed the cancer while they gave me other problems. But I have finally learnt to stress and worry less (most of the time).

I guess the best thing you can do is manage the symptoms as best you can. It stands to reason that your brain chemistry may have changed which could effect your hormones and metabolism maybe your immune system.

Yep, I manage in own strange way - the treatment was near the brain stem (and who knows where it stopped) - and for piece of mind I have booked into to see the GP on Wednesday for more tests. Its not my own doctor as she is on 2 mths holiday and booked up to December. But this the one that went overboard with the last lot of tests, so Im hoping She'll be thorough this time too.

I did a quick 5min check of my temp this morning (after I got up), and it was about 36.4. I always new that my temp dropped at night but I didn't realise how much or that it could be a sign of something else...

i think up till now it has been the done thing to blame the person with a weight problem instead of looking to see if everything is working right with the metabolic endocrine system

hooray for doctors who are starting to search to unravel the truth

we are not all slack pigs who cannot control our overeating of fatty bad foods
      most of us eat healthier and fewer calories than someone with a good metabolic system yes we still are fighting to be a little thinner

the problem is that research into this is in its infancy now that doctors are finally seeing it as a medical issue instead of simply bad behaviour and that is why it is xtremely hard to find doctors who have been trained in this field

2kellen2 wrote:

I agree it is too easy to look at an overweight person & blame overeating when it is quite possible a medical issue :)

no one wakes up one day and says i am gonna start eating like a pig and get as fat as the back end of the bus lol

i suggest that people are feeling famished for medical reasons and so they eat and find that no matter what they still feel famished and famished

some of it is the quality of the food available that maes us more famished than we should be and some of it is our own hormones that are not quite the way they should be

it is high time the medical experts addressed that

2kellen2 wrote:

And it should be made known that there are medical reasons for weight problems not just overeating - many people are not aware of this :)

and the media does not help by never revealing that there are medical reasons and implying that all overweight people are that way because of gluttony

i was doing some research and to my horror I have discovered that my mother is to blame for my health problems. between her refusing to feed me when i was a baby because she considered me too ugly and her heavy smoking habit she caused my metabolism to fail

yes apparently latest research points to starvation in babyhood and starvation of the mother as a cause of diabetes type two decades later in the child.

dailymail.co.uk/health/article…ing-obesity-epidemic.html