Questions please regarding weight lifiting, protein powder etc for a newbie. :P

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Questions please regarding weight lifiting, protein powder etc for a newbie. :P

Hi,
      Sorry newbie to the forum.
      Just wondering which protein powder is the best to increase muscle, but to also tone. I also have about 4-5kgs of weight to lose. But would be happy just to tone if I can't lose it.
      This is my 2nd week of doing weights or 5th session. I am just working out from home and have started with a 2.5kgs dumbbell, and only use the barbell with 5kgs for trunk rotations.
      Do these exercises sound alright for the areas I am wanting to work on?

Arms: bicep curls, upright row, lateral raise, dumbbell swing through
      Abs (need toning): dumbbell side bend, barbell trunk rotation, 50 x crunches
      Butt/Thighs (need toning): dumbbell toe raise, dumbbell swing through, dumbbell dead lifts & dumbbell squats

I also finish my workout with doing as many push ups as I can. I have gone from starting at 10 and can do 20 now, lol. I know not much.
      I do a set work out every 2nd night, does that sound right?

Thank you, I would really appreciate any tips or feedback. :)
    • Re: Questions please regarding weight lifiting, protein powder etc for a newbie. :P

Taddy I would reccomend these guys for protein powder: bulknutrients.com.au/view/Protein its WPI or WPC you want.

I havnt had them for a long time and they have changed their flavours a lot since then so I cant give any guarantee on taste, they may still offer samples I'm not sure. You can also buy unflavoured powder from them and flavour it yourself, up to you :)

Don't fall for women/female protein powders, they're usually full of rubbish, go straight for the WPI and WPC powders.
    • Re: Questions please regarding weight lifiting, protein powder etc for a newbie. :P

Adding 10 pushups is a good improvement, well done!

For protein, definitely Bulk Nutrients. I'm a bit of a sweet tooth, so I bought an extra sachet of chocolate flavouring from them and mixed half of it with my 1kg of chocolate flavoured WPI. Most other proteins are way overpriced, don't taste as good, and often have cheap low-quality protein fillers to sneakily rise the protein content higher than it really is (the shitty fillers aren't utilised by your body nearly as well as proper protein).

For toning, you'll need to make sure you're burning SLIGHTLY more calories than you're putting in, around 100-200 less. If you don't track calories, that's fine, just go by feel. For reference, a muesli bar can be around 100-200 calories, so that's all you'll have to cut out. For your workouts, you want to make sure you're doing as many compound movements as possible, which are just exercises that use more than one muscle group (such as a squat or pushup). An important thing I've learned is that these exercises also train your core a lot more than crunches or sit-ups will, so there's even more reason to include them in!

Your routine is pretty good for that reason, but a few thing's I'd change myself:

Arms
      Scrap the upright row - most people have extremely tight upper trapezius muscles, so training them can lead to back and posture problems. Instead, I'd opt for a bent-over row (with dumbbells or a barbell, up to you what you prefer).

Next, I'd change the lateral raise to a shoulder press. Your shoulder is actually comprised of three muscles, and this will use all three, whereas the lateral raise focuses mostly on one. Another thing I like to do with bicep curls/shoulder press is combine them into one exercise. This YouTube video here demonstrates it very well: Tampa ShandraVFit Bicep Curl to Arnold Press

Abs
      The unfortunate truth with abs is that the muscle really doesn't grow much. Training them DEFINITELY has it's place (helps with squats, bent-over rows, etc), but they don't require too much attention. A lot of people actually overtrain their abs and end up injuring their lower back, which can hinder their exercise for the week, and end up delaying progress. For this reason, I'd only stick to the crunches. Also, abs are a 'finishing' move so chuck those at the end of the workout, after your pushups, that way you can perform all your other exercises and still be able to breath properly, lol!

Butt/Thighs
      Nothing needs changing here, all the exercises you've chosen are spot on!

Order of exercises
      This is the main thing I would change with your workout - you always want to perform your compound movements (exercises using more than one muscle) first. These exercises require the most energy output, so they'll get your heartrate up fast and warm up your muscles quicker than any other exercises. This is the perfect way to get yourself into a fat burning state the moment you start your exercises. This is the order I'd go for:

1. Squats
      2. Dumbbell Swing-through
      3. Deadlifts
      4. Bent-over rows
      5. Bicep curl + shoulder press
      6. As many pushups as you can!
      7. Crunches
      8. Toe-raises

I put toe raises at the end rather than crunches because they're a nice way to cool down, but feel free to swap them! If you're doing arms/abs/leg day separately (e.g. not doing exercises 1-8 in one day), follow the same order I've got on the list :)

Doing this every second night is perfect, as it gives your muscles a full day to recover.

EDIT: Just thought I'd chuck in routine if ever you're running out of time one night. It's a quick 15 minute workout than I've got a mother of two training on and she's making awesome progress!

3 sets of squats
      3 sets of bent-over rows
      3 sets of incline pushups - just a pushup where your hands are up higher. This makes it easier for people who have trouble with normal pushups.

Aim for 10-15 reps per set, but you must complete it in 1 minute! You then have 30 seconds rest before your next set. Try and see if you can up your weight/reps during the next workout! :)

Thankyou so much Ryan, I appreciate your input and have changed order on my routine, lol.

Thinking I might add lunges in there as well, give the legs a bit more of a burn, :P

As for cardio wise on the other days: I love flogging the crap out of the boxing bag, step ups, jogging, skipping, side steps, mostly. Its pretty much how I feel on that day is what I will do, lol.

Definitely lunges if you can do them - they double up as a core exercise by balancing yourself too!

All great cardio choices, you definitely can't go wrong with a routine like that! :) Hehe, Arnold Schwarzenegger always said 'you gotta shock the muscle', so the random cardio sessions satisfy that rule perfectly!

Sweet, pretty excited about our new journey lol. Hubby & I both quit smoking around 3mths ago, so time to get ourselves fit and healthy.

Ryan wrote:

Definitely lunges if you can do them - they double up as a core exercise by balancing yourself too!

All great cardio choices, you definitely can't go wrong with a routine like that! :) Hehe, Arnold Schwarzenegger always said 'you gotta shock the muscle', so the random cardio sessions satisfy that rule perfectly!

Ryan wrote:

Thank you Ryan fantastic information
    • taddy wrote:

Hi,
      Sorry newbie to the forum.
      Just wondering which protein powder is the best to increase muscle,...
      I'll just deal with the very first part of your question by saying that there's no protein that would build you muscles, period! It's muscle fiber stimulation through resistance training that you first need to be engaged in, then and only then would protein or calorie surplus or anything of that nature serve to build what you have degraded in the gym. You first need to break it down, then you need the building blocks (of which protein is one) to help you achieve your desired results.

I know I'm being a bit technical (and I do apologise to the ones who find that a bit annoying), but it's best we get things right from the beginning and build on it from thereon.

As for which protein powder is best, as Sherrie have already suggested, Ben from Bulknutrients WPI or WPC (if you don't mind a bit of lactose) would be the go,...minus all the frills you don't need.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fadi ().