Low Carb Tomato Relish

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Tomato Relish

My first attempt at making a low carb tomato relish / chutney yesterday, this recipe will change as I go along and experiment but this was pretty good so I thought I'd share.

This one is very simple to make, you pretty much just chuck everything in and cook it. Next time I might roast some ingredients first we'll see.

I left mine chunky but you can blitz it if you like.

I havnt done a proper photo but here's a pic I took on my ipad:

Low Carb Tomato Relish

Ingredients:

500g Roma tomatoes, chopped
      250g red onion (1 large red onion), sliced
      2 cloves of garlic, crushed
      2 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
      80ml red wine vinegar (next time I plan to use apple cider vinegar)
      1 tablespoon tagatose or other sweetener
      3 cardamon pods
      1/2 tsp sweet paprika
      pink salt

Method:

Place all ingredients into heavy based saucepan and gently simmer for 1 hour or so then turn up heat and boil to reduce and caramelise.

Pour into sterilised jars and cool then put lids on and store.

The vinegar should mellow over time.
    • Re: Low Carb Tomato Relish

I had some relish today with poached eggs, granted I used too much in hindsight but I think I used too much vinegar. I found the vinegar taste stronger out of the fridge which isn't what I am after.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: Lol ().