Poached Eggs with Baby Spinach and Tomatoes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Poached Eggs with Baby Spinach and Tomatoes

I have been craving poached eggs lately since having some nice ones when we were away in Melbourne last month so I have started practicing making my own.

My first attempt I used the method you see everywhere where you add vinegar to the water and swirl the water before putting the eggs in. Today I used an easier method which I got the idea from watching Jamie Oliver doing it on TV. After doing it his way I'm not really sure why you bother with vinegar and swirling the water, if anyone knows please chime in!

This was really easy but I was only cooking with 2, poached eggs get more complicated with the more you try to poach at the same time.

Here's my poached eggs for today, I was going to have avocado as well but I forgot to take it out of the fridge and didnt want fridge cold avocado with my eggs. My yolks were runny but I would've liked them a little runnier, it must be because the eggs were small as I only cooked them for 2 minutes!

Poached Eggs with Baby Spinach and Tomatoes

Serves 1

Ingredients:

2 eggs, room temperature
      6 small tomatoes, cut in half
      a couple of handfuls of baby spinach
      salt
      butter
      olive oil
      salt and pepper for seasoning

Utensils:

Wide saucepan (makes it easier)
      slotted spoon
      paper towels
      small bowls for cracking each egg into

Method:

Fill saucepan up with plenty of water and bring to boil.

Pan fry tomatoes over low to medium heat in butter and olive oil.

When water is boiling add salt and bring down to a simmer.

Quickly add eggs and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes depending on size and how runny you want the yolks.

Move tomatoes to side of pan and add baby spinach and cook until wilted.

Carefully remove eggs with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.

Arrange spinach on plate then add eggs and tomatoes, drizzle over pan juices and season with freshly ground salt and pepper.

Enjoy!