Targeting Certain Troubled Areas......Such a thing???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Targeting Certain Troubled Areas......Such a thing???

Hi All,

Curious to know is there actually a exercise that will target certain body parts?
      For example, I need to majorly tone my butt and thighs, by doing squats & lunges will this help?

And then theres the toning of the tummy.

Or should I just not focus on certain body parts and just work on an overall whole body workout, lol?

Any help will be appreciated. :)

P.S Love my calves & arms, just got a bit of lose skin/flabby gut from babies, bigger butt & chunky thighs.
    • Re: Targeting Certain Troubled Areas......Such a thing???

Hi Taddy - it can be hard to change your natural body shape , but maybe Sherrie can get her son Ryan to answer you - he is a personal trainer.
      I think its important that whatever exercise you undertake - you love it !!!
      Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff :)
      Love Chris
      Less of me - more of life !

ChrisA wrote:

Hi Taddy - it can be hard to change your natural body shape , but maybe Sherrie can get her son Ryan to answer you - he is a personal trainer.
      I think its important that whatever exercise you undertake - you love it !!!
      Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff :)
      Love Chris

Thanks hun. Just sucks as before I was preg with first I was only 48kgs lol but far too skinny. Plus I was only young, so really I don't know what size I would naturally be really. :(

I used to bounce between 47 and 49 before I had Ryan then after that 51 and then the pill took me up to 55. When I started to gain weight years later and then got into low carb and weights I got back down to 55 but that was as low as I could get and maintain it but I was a lot lower in body fat then when I was under 50kg.

I can nag Ryan if you want. I personally prefer full body because you target your core better that way. I can't do weights atm but I have a book that I love called The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Lunges are great, I used to do walking lunges whilst holding weights :)

Hey Taddy!

The main part to body 'toning' is lower body fat levels. There's no way to lose body fat in one particular area of your choosing; no matter what exercises you do, the body fat will be burnt across your entire body. People do often have areas where they store/burn fat from easier though (usually butt, thighs, triceps, tummy or breasts), so this should start to become apparent as your results begin to show.

From here, you can further 'sculpt' your body by building muscle mass in whatever areas you choose.

Full body exercises (squats, lunges, rows, etc) are the best choice here. Since they stimulant a large number of muscles in your body at once, you will be burning body fat much more efficiently for your time and effort. They also engage your core a whole lot more than standard crunches/situps, so it should help your abs out quite a bit.

Last but not least, a huge factor is POSTURE! A forward head, rounded shoulders or a pelvic tilt (usually tilted backwards so the lower back is arched and the tummy sticks out) instantly strips from the 'fit' look most people are going for. If I look into the mirror with my current posture, and then tilt my pelvic into a more correct position (by squeezing my bum and pushing my upper thighs out), there's an instant improvement in my tummy area. My number one tip here is to perform all your full body exercises with a very exaggerated posture (which generally results in good exercise form). Poke your chest out and pin your shoulder back, engage your core, tighten your glutes - your strength/comfort (once you get used to the position) should improve, and it helps mold you into a better natural posture.

I'm definitely not recommending a Google diagnosis, but this page should help identify potential postural issues. Try and correct them in the mirror and see what improvement it makes. collective-evolution.com/2014/…-and-how-to-correct-them/.