Atkins Advantage Shake Mix ~ Any Good???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• I have never used it and I'm not even sure what's in the ingredients but to be honest I doubt it would be that clean, I would give Bulk Nutrients - Your One Stop Supplement Shop a try. Their protein is good quality and your hubby may like their site also being bodybuilding oriented.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • I should add they used to have samples so check if they still do. They have changed their flavours since I last tried anything flavoured so I can't give feedback on their flavours.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Sherrie wrote:

I have never used it and I'm not even sure what's in the ingredients but to be honest I doubt it would be that clean, I would give Bulk Nutrients - Your One Stop Supplement Shop a try. Their protein is good quality and your hubby may like their site also being bodybuilding oriented.

Thank you Sherrie. :)

Would this be something hubby would need?
      Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)

And for me?
      ThermoWhey
    • Depends on when you're having it, if it's to help with mucscle recovery after a workout then best to go WPI, same if you have lactose issues as WPI has very little lactose.

Personally I've never had is protein powder for more then just as a protein but you could give it a try and see how you go with it. If there's stimulants in it you might not want it during the last half of the day. I'm used to casein being used for bulking and strangely it's usually higher carb but that one you linked to looks fine!

@Ryan have you tried the thermo one before?

• I haven't tried the powder version yet (the vanilla is in the cupboard staring me..)

But the premixed chocolate (which you can get individually at the Coles here) is a good, quick breakky at times and is ok flavour wise - but I wouldn't say that it is 'super filling'.

I personally love the atkins products - But my advice is to be careful you don't do all atkins - if our like me then you will feel a bit (or more) ickky.

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.
    • If you're happy spending a little more money, then I'd give the ThermoWhey a shot. The stimulant ingredients should give you the same buzz as about one cup of coffee, so if you're caffeine sensitive, keep that in mind. If not, WPI (better for those who are sensitive to lactose) or WPC (a tad cheaper) are great. May even be worth comparing your progress with all three to find which you respond best to.

I would personally avoid any supermarket protein powders - they often include filler ingredients or inferior protein sources we'd rather avoid. Just recently, a couple of the biggest protein brands were caught mislabeling their protein content or spiking it with cheap powders such as taurine to make it seem like their protein was more potent than it really was. Bulk Nutrients provides complete test results of their protein powders, and even offers free testing kits to test protein powders yourself.

Back to the BN protein, I like to add 1/4 - 1/2 choc flavouring (they sell sachets of these for around $10) to a pre-flavoured choc WPI, it tastes awesome :)
      Personal Trainer
      The difference between 'try' and 'triumph' is a little umph.
    • Ryan wrote:

If you're happy spending a little more money, then I'd give the ThermoWhey a shot. The stimulant ingredients should give you the same buzz as about one cup of coffee, so if you're caffeine sensitive, keep that in mind. If not, WPI (better for those who are sensitive to lactose) or WPC (a tad cheaper) are great. May even be worth comparing your progress with all three to find which you respond best to.

I would personally avoid any supermarket protein powders - they often include filler ingredients or inferior protein sources we'd rather avoid. Just recently, a couple of the biggest protein brands were caught mislabeling their protein content or spiking it with cheap powders such as taurine to make it seem like their protein was more potent than it really was. Bulk Nutrients provides complete test results of their protein powders, and even offers free testing kits to test protein powders yourself.

Back to the BN protein, I like to add 1/4 - 1/2 choc flavouring (they sell sachets of these for around $10) to a pre-flavoured choc WPI, it tastes awesome :)

Thankyou for that Ryan. Hubby was just saying not to buy any protein powder/shake for him due to his mate who also started doing weights and taking a protein shake (not sure what brand) but he stopped weights for 2 weeks and all what he had bulked up has just disappeared. Would that be because he had only really just started the weights, shit (sorry) protein shake or still need to maintain.

So yes hubby is now a bit skeptical on wasting money on something that isn't going to work. He seems to be doing pretty good with just weights every 2nd night. :)
    • taddy wrote:

Ryan wrote:

If you're happy spending a little more money, then I'd give the ThermoWhey a shot. The stimulant ingredients should give you the same buzz as about one cup of coffee, so if you're caffeine sensitive, keep that in mind. If not, WPI (better for those who are sensitive to lactose) or WPC (a tad cheaper) are great. May even be worth comparing your progress with all three to find which you respond best to.

Thankyou for that Ryan. Hubby was just saying not to buy any protein powder/shake for him due to his mate who also started doing weights and taking a protein shake (not sure what brand) but he stopped weights for 2 weeks and all what he had bulked up has just disappeared. Would that be because he had only really just started the weights, shit (sorry) protein shake or still need to maintain.

So yes hubby is now a bit skeptical on wasting money on something that isn't going to work. He seems to be doing pretty good with just weights every 2nd night. :)

I'll try and some up the purpose of protein powder/how it works so you can decide if it's right for you both.

Protein powder doesn't necessarily add size (you need to be consuming excess calories to add size), however it will aid muscle recovery and can boost your muscles ability to grow if you aren't consuming enough protein in your diet already (most guys looking to gain size should aim for around 2g protein per kg of bodyweight). Protein shakes are a good way to add extra calories in your day if you mix them with milk, oats, etc, but cutting protein shakes out definitely shouldn't result in such a loss as you described.

If his goal is to add size and he's already consuming enough calories and protein, there's definitely no need to spend money on protein shakes, but they're often a much more convenient way to consume calories/protein at work/study/etc. If your body loses size by cutting out protein shakes (and your goal is to increase size), it's a clear signal that your diet needs some work (more calories!).

Last but not least, the gym isn't what makes your muscles grow - working out pretty much just makes your muscles 'hungry'. What you feed them determines their growth, and if you don't fill them up with enough calories, they will not grow. Protein shakes are the preferred source of calories here as they contain amino acids which aid muscle growth more than any other nutrient.

EDIT: and with that last point - bigger muscles require more calories to grow. If ever you feel like you're reaching a plateau, your diet most likely needs an increase in calories to satisfy your muscles 'hunger'.
      Personal Trainer
      The difference between 'try' and 'triumph' is a little umph.