Unsweetened cocoa - where can we get it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• I've read the same thing about unsweetened cocoa - I interpreted it as not being one of those sweet hot-drink type chocolate mixes. Not sure if this is right or not.

Anyway, I use Bourneville cocoa. Don't have the box at work or Icould recite the PFC off the package for you.

It's definitely not sweet.

Available in Coles/Woolies etc.
    • Thank you everyone for the cocoa help!

I was using Cadbury Bourneville cocoa but recently found an unsweetened cocoa at the deli (Prahran Market) and I have also seen it on the shelves (the international food section) at Safeway (Malvern Road, Hawksburn).

It's German and called Schmidt cocoa and the values for 100g are:

19/20/13

That's a pretty big savings on the carbs!

ozgal
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!
    • Hey Sherrie,

He ha....I'm just a carb snoop...I'll leave no stone unturned in my quest to find the absolute lowest carb values for everyday foods.

But I splurged today on my faux cauliflower for lunch - just a bit over 10g carbs for a bowlful (maybe a cup and a bit). Golly, wish cauliflower had lower carbs - love the stuff as it's my mashed potatoe substitute.

ozgal
      Cheers,

Ozgal (LCHF looks like the plan for me)

It's all about the journey!
    • COCOA OR NOT!?!

I'm reviving this because yesterday I bought some Home Brand cocoa powder with pfc 19.4/20.5/13 and compared it to what I was using - Coles Savings brand (20/11/25).

I couldn't believe the difference :eek:

The Coles brand comes from Malaysia and the Safeway one is from Germany. We all know where the better chocolate comes from:rolleyes:
    • Yeah I read that in a mail group the otherday too.
      I've always used the cadbury one and its carb count is similar to the coles brand at 23.3g per 100g

Going by what webchick posted they (homebrand) must have changed their source since then.

Will definately give the homebrand a try next time I'm at woolworths. I'm thinking of trying those belguim ones from passthetoast aswell just for an occasional treat, they have similar pfc to the homebrand. Anyone tried them?

Also you can buy unsweetened bakers chocolate from usafoods.
    • Originally posted by Sherrie
      Yeah I read that in a mail group the otherday too.
      I've always used the cadbury one and its carb count is similar to the coles brand at 23.3g per 100g

Going by what webchick posted they (homebrand) must have changed their source since then.

Will definately give the homebrand a try next time I'm at woolworths. I'm thinking of trying those belguim ones from passthetoast aswell just for an occasional treat, they have similar pfc to the homebrand. Anyone tried them?

I bought the unsweetened cocoa from Pass The Toast. 1/8 of a 250mL cup or 30mL = 4g carbs. I only used it once in a recipe that didn't turn out so can't really say if worth buying this one at $20 for 250g bag. I can say its very rich and chocolatey.
      Weight Loss Goal - to reach 55kg
      Currently doing 12 week body transformation - at 64kg (9kg to goal)
      (Started 27/8/12 at 77.8kg)
    • I opened the packet of homebrand cocoa (the one made in germany with less carbs then cadbury). You should see it, the color is totally different to the cadbury, it has a true rich chocolate colour and tastes better off the finger too.

I added some to my lindt cheesecake :)
    • Hot chocolate

I have been craving chocolate drinks lately so I have been making it with the homebrand cocoa powder.

That cocoa is really nice.

I use a flat teaspoon (not metric) of the cocoa and 2 teaspoons of splenda, yummy. Made a great chocolate shake with it too.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.