Low Carb Rhubarb Jam

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Rhubarb Jam

My rhubarb looked ready so I decided to pick some and have a try at making my own low-carb/sugar-free rhubarb jam! I've only made jam once before so I am very inexperienced so I can't promise anything. I've only just made this today so I cant give feed back on how long it will stay fresh for as it does not have sugar added as a preservative. I don't think I will get a chance to test that either as I think this will be eaten quickly as it tastes really good :)

This would be enough to fill a regular jar. I did not use much sweetener as I don't like a sickly sweet jam. With a regular jam recipe you would use equal amount of sugar to fruit. I didn't follow a particular recipe, I just looked at a bunch and then winged it and crossed my fingers. Whilst I was making the jam I sterilised the jar and lid in the oven at around 100C

Low Carb Rhubarb Jam

Ingredients:

500g Chopped rhubarb stems
      Juice and some pulp from a med-large orange
      1/2 tsp vanilla paste
      3 tablespoons of tagatose or other sweetener

Method:

Place ingredients into a non reactive bowl, give a good stir and leave over night.

Preheat oven to 100C

Place rhubarb mixture in Saucepan over medium heat and bring to boil.

Line baking sheet with baking paper and put jars and lids on tray and place in oven for 20 or so minutes.

Once rhubarb starts to boil stir continuously and cook for around 20-30 minutes or until setting point is reached.

To test setting point you are meant to take a chilled saucer out of the fridge, place a teaspoon of jam on it then put back in the freezer for a couple of minutes until cooled and then lightly press to see if it wrinkles. I'm not sure if mine did that or not but it was pretty thick so I took it off heat.

Once ready place in hot sterile jars whilst still hot, put on lid and then tip upside down and leave for a couple of minutes before putting upright again.

The first thing I did after taking pics was eat some with some double cream, YUM!

Enjoy! :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Looks lovely - I could almost taste it.
      It does look and sound like stewed Rhubarb. . .What is the difference ? would be interesting to see how long it lasted without going mouldy as normal stewed fruit would after a while. Looks too good to leave for any length of time anyway :D
      Less of me - more of life !