Low Carb Lamb Curry

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Lamb Curry

I have updated this old slow cooker lamb curry recipe of mine that I originally had in the slow cooker thread. I made it last night with a few changes and I took a photo. This time I browned the leg of lamb whole and placed into the slowcooker and just scooped the bones out before serving. Much easier then dicing up a leg of lamb first thing in the morning!

I meant to make my own curry powder this time but I didn't have all the ingredients so next time I will update with curry powder spices

I also served mine with cauliflower rice and cucumber raita so I will add instructions for them as well. You can also add some coconut cream before serving to thicken it up, up to you.

-------

I put this one together today, it was REALLY good and the house smelt really nice all day!

Lamb Curry with Cauliflower Rice and Cucumber Raita

1 kg Lamb diced or whole leg lamb
      1 brown onion cut into wedges
      3 cloves of garlic, crushed
      1 can chopped tomatoes
      Juice of 1 lemon
      1-2 cups of chicken stock
      2tbl curry powder (I used keens traditional)
      2 tsp cumin
      1 cinnamon stick
      curry leaves
      freshly ground salt and black pepper
      coconut oil and butter for browning

Cauliflower Rice

1 Cauliflower whole
      Butter/ghee or coconut oil for frying

Condiments
      lemon wedges
      fresh coriander leaves
      full fat greek yoghurt

or

Cucumber Raita

1 Cucumber, diced
      Greek Yoghurt
      Lemon Juice (will depend on he consistency you want as the more juice the more runny the yoghurt will be)
      Salt
      Fresh coriander
      *you can also add ground cumin and chilli if you wish, I choose not too*

Brown lamb in batches or score a leg of lamb and brown all over then chuck in slowcooker.

Fry curry paste and cumin plus a bit more butter/oil if needed in the same pan for 1 min then add onions and garlic and saute until soft. Chuck in slowcooker and stir into lamb.

In the same pan add chicken stock, lemon juice, tomatoes, cinnamon stick curry leaves and seasoning and bring to boil. Add to slowcooker and combine with rest.

Cook on high for 1-2 hours and low for 5-7 hours. (if on high for 1 hour then cook on low for 7 hours)

Method for Cauliflower Rice

Just before serving, process cauliflower until resembles rice then pan fry in butter/oil for 5 or so minutes until soft and fluffy and set aside.

Method for cucumber Raita

Combine cucumber with sea salt, yoghurt and lemon juice to desired consistency, keeping in mind that the lemon juice will thin the yoghurt. Place in serving bowl and sprinkle fresh coriander over the top. You can add chiili and cumin if you wish.

If not using the raita, serve with fresh coriander, lemon wedges and greek yoghurt, plus whatever low carb side dish you want some sugestions are cauliflower rice, mixed carrot and cabbage mix like coleslaw but without the dressing lightly panfried or spaghetti squash.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie ().

• Re: Looking for crock pot ideas

Hey I should mention I made this again last week but I omitted the tomatoes and replaced with pumpkin. I also replaced the chicken stock with a can of coconut cream and I had no curry leaves. This came out REALLY REALLY GOOD and was very thick and gravy like. Very moorish! I used up some cucumbers out of the garden and made a cucumber raita which was just natural yoghurt, lemon juice, cucumbers, salt and fresh coriander. I didn't see the point in adding spices to the raita as there was plenty in the curry.

This is my favourite now :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.