Marzipan Truffles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Marzipan Truffles

Marzipan Truffles

* Whole raw almonds, skin on
      * SF maple syrup
      * Pinch of salt
      * Desiccated coconut, to roll them in

Blitz a large handful of raw almonds in a coffee grinder until it becomes a fine flour (as long as the bulk of it is a fine flour, don't worry if there are some bigger chunks of almonds in there, as they add a nice crunch to the truffles later). Pour almond flour into a small bowl, add a pinch of salt and a really generous glug of sf maple syrup. Stir thoroughly to combine.

You can pop the mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up before rolling, or scrap that idea and just get rolling now. Roll mixture into walnut-sized balls, then roll your balls in desiccated coconut. Pop balls on parchment in the freezer for 1/2 hour or so - then devour! I think they are best eatent when not too cold and hard, so if leaving some in the freezer for later, make sure you allow them to thaw before eating - or just keep 'em in the fridge.

Note 1: Using a coffee grinder, this makes only a small amount. I used maybe 70g of whole almonds, and ended up with about 7 truffles. A perfect quick treat that won't tease you into over-indulging.

Note 2: When I get my hands on some rose-water, I'll try adding a drop of that too, to make these truffles even more marzipan-like.
      We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

• Hey Chris - I called them marzipan truffles coz if you close your eyes, they taste a lot like marzipan - not just almonds. I don't know if it's the almond meal/flour/butter mixed with the maple that makes it taste that way or what!? But I like it. I've always had a weakness for marzipan.
      But to answer your question, yep, I basically just made my own almond mealish butter (skins on) so storebought almond meal should be fine :)

PS I was also thinking that rose water might make it even more marzipan-like.
      We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.