Low Carb Chilli

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low Carb Chilli

Garry has turned my old Chilli recipe into a low carb chilli recipe by replacing the kidney beans with grated vegetables, it actually turns out just as good, I don't miss the beans at all. This is a big batch so there's at least 8 very generous serves. We don't make this hot because of Maya but you can serve it with some chilli sauce or add some chopped chilli when cooking. Garry always has a sweet chilli sauce with it but I like it as it is. The chilli powder we use is called Mexican chilli powder which has some other spices such as chilli, cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic, pepper and oregano added, Masterfoods make one.

Serve with salad, homemade guacamole, fresh coriander. Sour cream and cheese if you have dairy, you can also make a dairy free sour cream by adding lemon juice and salt to refrigerated coconut cream, it's runny but tastes good!

I like to have mine as a salad with leafy greens, cucumber, avocado etc but you could use low carb wraps, tacos etc such as these:

Taco Shells

Cheese Taco Shells

Cheese wrap

Sandwich Press Wraps

Low Carb Chilli

Serves 8 or more

Ingredients

Note: Tablespoons are metric which = 4 teaspoons or 1 US tablespoon and 1 teaspoon

1kg Minced Beef
      1 Eggplant
      2 Carrots
      2 Zucchini
      400g mushrooms
      2 Celery stalks
      1 Onion
      2 tins chopped tomato
      2 Tbl Red Wine or Apple Cider vinegar
      1 Tbl dried oregano
      1 Tbl mexican chilli powder (add extra in small amounts to taste)
      3 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
      2 Tbl Tomato paste (optional)
      salt and pepper'
      butter/oil for pan frying
      1 cup of water or stock

Method

Grate all vegetables in food processor then pan fry with garlic if using until softened then set aside.

Pan fry mince until brown, I like to use a masher to make it fine rather then chunky.

Add veggies, chilli powder and oregano and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes, paste if using and water/stock and simmer for around 30 minutes

Add vinegar, season to taste and serve.

We didn't use garlic or tomato paste last batch and it was fine. I used to add a bit of 85% of lindt but Garry doesn't and its fine, up to you.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.