Yoghurt (Yogurt) Recipe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Yoghurt (Yogurt) Recipe

How to make yoghurt:

Needed: Cream, a bit of plain yoghurt, large saucepan, candy or bath thermometer, glass jars, and a way to keep the yoghurt warm for several hours.

1) Mix whatever proportions of heavy cream and light cream you wish, or 100% of either one if you don't have both. You can use part double cream, if you have it. (All heavy or double cream doesn't work very well, as the yoghurt culture needs some lactose to feed off of. Greek yoghurt will not work at all as a starter.)

2) Bring cream to a boil. (While waiting for cream to boil, put 1 tablespoon of plain yoghurt in each jar you need. One tablespoon is for a 6-8 ounce jar. It's best to let the yoghurt warm up to 21 degrees Centigrade (70 degrees Fahrenheit), or a bit higher, which is why this is done at this point.)

3) Let cream cool to 40.5 - 43.3 degrees Centigrade (105 - 110 degrees Fahrenheit).

4) While cream is cooling, turn on your yoghurt maker to let it warm up.
      If you don't have a yoghurt maker, here are possibilities for keeping the yoghurt warm for its incubation.
      Set up your preferred method while the cream is cooling. (If the incubation temperature is too cool, the culture can't multiply, and if it is too hot, it will kill the culture.)

- Wrap a heating pad around the jars and cover.

- Put the jars and heating pad into a styrofoam or camping cooler.

- Set the jars on a radiator, if it is not too cool or too hot.

- Pre-heat a thermos with hot water. Measure the temperature so it isn't too hot or cold.

- Use an oven with a pilot light, or which can be set at proper temperature for incubating the yoghurt.

5) Pour the cream mixture, which has been cooled to incubation temperature, into each jar, mixl with the yoghurt starter (a few quick strokes, being careful not to overbeat it, as overbeating will keep the culture from growing).

6) Put the jars into your yoghurt maker, or pour mixture into preheated thermos, etc.

N. B.: Incubation time is a minimum of 4 hours. (Shorter times mean less fermentation, and the yoghurt will be more liquid.) The longer it incubates the less lactose there will be. Yoghurt is a process of fermentation. At about 18 hours the lactose will be reduced as far as possible. For those wishing to avoid any taste of sweet, this is useful. (Or for those with Crohn's, IBS, etc.)

7) When removing the jars from their warmed incubation place, put the lids on the jars. Let them cool to room temperature before putting them in the fridge. This makes a thicker, more "set" yoghurt.

I use a bit of yoghurt from the last batch for a starter. The starter needs to be plain yoghurt, so that the fermentation will work well. I buy Dannon brand, plain, from whole milk, when I need a starter. Any plain yoghurt will work.

If you decide to buy a yoghurt maker, I like the Yo-Life with the tall cover (I live in the U. S.), so that one can use jars from home. I also like that it has no automatic shut-off so that one can let the yoghurt incubate as long as one wishes.

----

Once in a while, due to weather conditions, the yoghurt doesn't "take". I don't know if it is electrical charges or barometric pressure or what. I've seen mention of this in cookery books, too. When the yoghurt doesn't set up right, I just drink it, rather than eating it with a spoon.

I hope my conversions to Centigrade temperatures aren't too strange. I used on online converter.
      LCHF Maintenance, Goal: Health First.
      Daily averages of 50-60P: 110-130F: 30-35C

UTC -5 hours