FailSafe Elimination Diet (for allergies, reactions to chemicals in foods, etc.) and, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) info and, low FODMAPS info.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• FailSafe Elimination Diet (for allergies, reactions to chemicals in foods, etc.) and, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) info and, low FODMAPS info.

I have found the FailSafe diet really helpful. Here is a link to a blog with information about the FailSafe Diet, in case someone here has unpleasant reactions to foods, and would like to pinpoint what is causing those symptoms. The FAILSAFE diet is a diet designed to be free of additives, low in salicylates, amines and flavour enhancers.

The FailSafe diet also includes information on avoiding chemicals in fragrances, cleaners, toiletries, paint, etc.

-----

More information on that aspect of reactions can be found at Multiple Chemical Sensitivity sites. I don't have any favorites links for information on this, but here are two I found using the ixquick search engine:
      What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? (MCS)
      Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

Here, an excerpt from that first link:

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - also referred to as MCS - is also known as Chemical Injury, Chemical Sensitivity, Environmental Illness (E.I.), and Multiple Allergy...

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity; in broad terms it means an unusually severe sensitivity or allergy-like reaction to many different kinds of pollutants including solvents, VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds), perfumes, petrol, diesel, smoke, "chemicals" in general and often encompasses problems with regard to pollen, house dust mites, and pet fur & dander.

Multiple chemical sensitivity unlike true allergies - where the underlying mechanisms of the problem are relatively well understood widely accepted, is generally regarded as "idiopathic" - meaning that it has no known mechanism of causation & it's processes are not fully understood.

The problem here is made more difficult still, due to the variable nature of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity from one patient to the next & this often makes treatment with conventional medicine & practices ineffective or inappropriate; for most sufferers with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, the avoidance of pollutants/toxicants is the key.

What CAN be said about defining Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - and in order to help the patient decide whether they truly have MCS or another allergy-related illness - is that the following deciding criteria apply to Multiple Chemical Sensitivity:the patient exhibits problems - often an allergy-like reaction - to both large - often extremely low levels of irritants/toxicants/triggers : other individuals present at the same time may be unable to detect anything at all or anything unusual or out of the ordinary.the problem is ongoing, ie. chronic, and not a "one-off" event.the same symptoms are reproducible with repeated exposure to the same triggers.the patient is affected by many different triggers.the patient improves when triggers are absent.

If someone has a better link for information on MCS, could you please post it?
      -----

The low-FODMAPS diet is to reduce foods which have indigestible carbohydrates. Here is another paper on FODMAPs. An excerpt from that second paper:

The acronym, ‘FODMAP’—Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides and Polyols—was coined to describe a previously-unrelated group of short-chain carbohydrates and sugar alcohols (polyols).4 They comprise fructose, lactose, fructo- and galacto-oligosaccharides (fructans, and galactans), and polyols (such as sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol and maltitol) all of which putatively have three common functional properties:

• Poorly absorbed in the small intestine: Poor absorption occurs by virtue of slow, low-capacity transport mechanisms across the epithelium (fructose), reduced activity of brush border hydrolases (lactose), lack of hydrolases (fructans, galactans), or molecules being too large for simple diffusion (polyols).

• Small and therefore osmotically-active molecules: This effect has been demonstrated with, for example, a synthetic FODMAP, lactulose, which exerts a laxative effect when given in sufficient dose by increasing the liquidity of luminal contents and subsequently affecting gut motility.5

• Rapidly fermented by bacteria: The rapidity of fermentation by bacteria is dictated by the chain length of the carbohydrate; oligosaccharides and sugars are very rapidly fermented compared with polysaccharides such as soluble dietary fibre.6

I have found much relief of unpleasant symptoms by following these two elimination diets, and by avoiding commercial cleaning products and toiletries.

Hope this helps someone else. :)
      LCHF Maintenance, Goal: Health First.
      Daily averages of 50-60P: 110-130F: 30-35C

UTC -5 hours
    • The failsafe diet is an Australian diet by Sue Dengate based around an elimination diet by the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Australia, this is the official site for failsafe: Food Intolerance Network

and this is the official site for the elimination diet: Food Intolerance Section Overview - Allergy Unit - Royal Prince Alfred Hospital

I have the books for both failsafe and the RPAH as I have done this with my daughter, we do have thread on it here somewhere.

We also have another thread on fructose malabsorption and the FODMAP which is also Australian by Dr Sue Shepherd, we actually have a brand of FODMAP foods In the supermarket now as it's become more popular and common, this is her site: Low FODMAP Diet | Shepherd Works

I've tried the FODMAP aswell for my daughter but didn't have much luck. My sons ex girlfriend does it now and has good results with it.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sherrie, thanks very much for posting all that information! I did a search here for FailSafe, but only found your mentioning it.

I wish the FODMAPs were as widely known as gluten-free. That pesky inulin is in so many things.

ETA: Here is a partial list of foods from the Shepherd Works page:

Excess Fructose: Honey, Apples, Mango, Pear, Watermelon, High Fructose Corn Syrup

Fructans: Artichokes (Globe), Artichokes (Jerusalem), Garlic (in large amounts), Leek, Onion (brown, white, Spanish, onion powder), Spring Onion (white part), Shallots, Wheat (in large amounts), Rye (in large amounts), Barley (in large amounts), Inulin, Fructo-oligosaccharides

Lactose: Milk, ice cream, custard, dairy desserts, condensed and evaporated milk, milk powder, yoghurt, soft unripened cheeses (eg. ricotta, cottage, cream, mascarpone)

Galacto-Oligosaccharides (GOS): Legume beans (eg. baked beans, kidney beans, bortolotti beans), Lentils, Chickpeas

Polyols: Apples, Apricots, Avocado, Cherries, Nectarines, Pears, Plums, Prunes, Mushrooms, sorbitol (420), mannitol (421), xylitol (967), maltitol (965) and isomalt (953)

UTC -5 hours

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serena ().

• Food Intolerance/Allergy Testing?

Elimination - Fail Safe Diet

I will likely move this thread to another section such as health because this isn't a low carb topic.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Sherrie, thanks for the links to the threads. And I'll look for this thread in "Health". :)

ETA:

Here is a quick-reference, pdf sheet of the FailSafe Diet, from Emma's site. I like it, as it gives me the basics at a glance.

UTC -5 hours

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serena ().

• Dr. Theron G. Randolph's research on allergies and food intolerances has helped a great deal, too. Here is a page on "The Addiction/Allergy Pyramid":

The Addiction Pyramid
      by Theron G. Randolph, MD

Theron G. Randolph received his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School and is board certified in internal medicine and in allergy and immunology. Author and co-author of numerous medical articles and books, he is considered the father of clinical ecology; is a founder and past president of the Society for Clinical Ecology, now the American Academy of Environmental Medicine; and is president of the Human Ecology Research Foundation.

Nature has a curious way of "protecting" people from cumulative exposures to given foods and/or drugs to which they are highly susceptible. This "protection" essentially erases immediate adverse effects of such reactions, and as long as people resort to their favorite addictant(s) frequently and/or regularly, they simply remain relatively stimulated and symptom-free.

This "protection," which might be referred to as nature’s subtle enigma, went undescribed for centuries. For instance, physicians in ancient Greece knew about allergies to such occasionally eaten foods as cashews and shrimp; but allergy to eggs, the first commonly eaten food to be associated with unrecognized chronic addictive symptoms, was not described until early in the present century. Although wheat, yeast, soy, and other frequently eaten foods had been described as largely unsuspected causes of chronic reactions before 1930, corn – the leading cause of food allergy – was not recognized as such until 1944. Coconut was not recognized as a common, previously undetected cause of reactions until 1989.

Masking commonly occurs when a food to which one is highly susceptible is eaten once in three days or more frequently.

Nature’s way of hiding reactions to commonly eaten foods was first described in the 1930s and 1940s by Herbert Rinkel, MD, as "masking," but this valuable knowledge was not widely disseminated until our book, Food Allergy, was published in 1951. Masking commonly occurs when a food to which one is highly susceptible is eaten once in three days or more frequently. I began referring to masking as "food addiction" in the early 1950s, as this term was far better understood by new patients than "allergy," when referring to a relative absence of symptoms after eating a given food.

Stages in the development of addictive responses to foods and drugs are best depicted by the addiction pyramid (see illustration). As people gradually become increasingly susceptible and cumulatively exposed to commonly consumed foods, food-drug combinations, and drugs, to which they are reacting unknowingly, they tend to ascend the addiction pyramid.

Starches and sugars are close to the base of the addiction pyramid, from which the susceptible persons tend to ascend successively through such food-drug combinations as chocolate, cola drinks, coffee, and/or tea – all of which are usually consumed with added sugars. Corn is thus especially important, as many sugars are made from corn, with corn being the leading cause of chronic food addiction in this century. As the food-addicted seek to find a more rapidly occurring and more effective stimulatory effect, this subtle addiction process tends to spread through alcoholic beverages and cigarette smoking. Again corn is important, for it is the most common material from which alcoholic beverages are manufactured. And all cigarettes manufactured in the United States since World War I have contained added sugars, commonly corn sugar.

Although this climb up the addiction pyramid may not progress beyond a given level, some developing addicts also come to depend on glues, solvents, and synthetically derived drugs – either self-prescribed or provided by physicians. Coming in contact with other drug users and seeking still more potent stimulants for the relief of their hangover-type reactions, those involved with lesser addictants often experiment with marijuana. This, in turn, may lead them to try LSD, cocaine, crack, and heroin or other opiates, there being little appreciation, especially among the young, of the potential irreversible hazards of such moves.

Corn is thus especially important, as many sugars are made from corn, with corn being the leading cause of chronic food addiction in this century. As the food-addicted seek to find a more rapidly occurring and more effective stimulatory effect, this subtle addiction process tends to spread through alcoholic beverages and cigarette smoking.

Where similar addictive responses might manifest initially as hyperactivity in children or restless legs in adults and might culminate in obesity or alcoholism, true drug addiction is a much more demanding taskmaster, one which commonly defies voluntary control.

Fortunately, the trip up the addiction pyramid is not necessarily a one-way route, although it may be unless one has guidance in descending. And the more advanced the addiction involved, the greater the possibility of fatal accidents. In coming off addictions, it is mandatory that all specifically addicted responses be recognized and that all food-drug combinations containing theobromine, caffeine, alcohol, and/or nicotine, as well as synthetic and natural drugs possessing addictive potentialities or actualities, be avoided simultaneously. Despite the precautions or because of them, the trip down the addiction pyramid is a rough one; relapse at any time must always be considered a possibility.

This version of The Addiction Pyramid and the accompanying article were prepared by Dr. Randolph for this issue ofNOHA NEWS and also for the Spring 1990 issue of The Human Ecologist, the magazine of the Human Ecology Action League (HEAL).

Article from NOHA NEWS, Vol. XV, No. 1, Winter 1990, pages 1, 3-4.

There is a nifty pyramid chart on that page, which didn't copy.

I hope this information is a help to someone else. :)

UTC -5 hours