joint health and mobilty

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• joint health and mobilty

Hi all,
      I need to pick your brains again...
      My lastest knee issues have made me think..., Ive never been told by any doctors, but with the extra weight carried by my crappy knees/ankle/ feet (as well as having breaks and arthritis in my R knee, R ankle and R foot) and using crutches all the time - Im wondering - should I be taking something for joint health? Does anyone take any sort of supplements or anything extra in their diet?? Recommendations would be great - thanks.

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.
    • From what Ive read it starting to look like chonodroitin sulphate, glucosamine sulphate, omega 3, vit D, magnesium, krill oil and calcium - WOOOW - all I know is that my vit D is good after now after a year of mega doses to get it up (and I don't have oesteoporsis).

We are all a little bit broken - but that's ok.

The post was edited 1 time, last by chardyboy ().

• Hi Di, :)

Things I take, which have helped me have less pain, be less creaky and more flexible, and be stronger:

cod liver oil, with a bit of butter
      boron
      mineral complex (I use PicMins from Thorne Research Labs)
      Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) (This makes a dramatic difference for me. My joints are much less creaky and squeaky. You know the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz? I think Vit. E was in that oil can. :) )
      iodine
      L-Carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine (These are SuperMan food for me. :) )
      astaxanthin (this has really helped with having less pain)

and I think having better intestinal flora has helped with having less pain and creakiness, and feeling more flexible and moving better: probiotic, L-Glutamine, digestive enzymes;

also foods which help with the same things: bone broth and marrow, beef gelatin, more butter, egg yolks, and offal (brains, liver, kidneys), sea salt and lots of water.

Things I take when there is a lot of pain: more cod liver oil, taurine, magnesium malate (malate is the form of magnesium that helps w/ pain for me). Dong quai and black cohosh help me, too.

I take other supplements, too, and antihistamines, and maybe there is a cumulative help from having them all together.

I make sure there are as few added things in the supplements as I can, the excipients can really be troublesome for me.
      LCHF Maintenance, Goal: Health First.
      Daily averages of 50-60P: 110-130F: 30-35C

UTC -5 hours