What is everybody’s beef with paleo crusader Pete Evans?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• What is everybody’s beef with paleo crusader Pete Evans?

A positive article in The Herald Sun:

What is everybody’s beef with paleo crusader Pete Evans?

SO what is everybody’s (grass-fed) beef with Pete Evans? The celebrity chef has been lambasted, mocked and ridiculed since he spoke about his fondness for “activated almonds’’ three years ago.

Late last month headlines screeched about the My Kitchen Rules co-host throwing a hissy
      fit and storming out of a Channel 7 launch, something he denies.

Even I Quit Sugar pioneer and fellow health nut Sarah Wilson distanced herself from him recently, saying she wished people would stop lumping her in the same basket and that Evans’ message was militant, ridiculous and (gasp) “anti-legume”.

Evans has had gut-wrenching upheavals with the Dietitians Association of Australia, autism groups, diabetic experts, the Federal Government’s guide to healthy eating and heart foundations in Australia, the UK, the US and Canada. The list goes on and on and on.

Read the rest here: heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/foo…ry-fni0dgie-1227216926171
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Here's another from the Brisbane Times:

Paleo: Pete Evans and the truth about the diet

The paleo lifestyle is often ridiculed by many, yet few people really understand it.

If you look at lists of the atrocities of 2014, you will see three standouts: Ebola, missing planes and the paleo diet.

In its annual "Top Celebrity Diets to Avoid in The New Year", the British Dietetic Association rated the paleo diet as the second worst regime, second only to "Urine Therapy" which advocates drinking you own urine for alleged health benefits.

The Dietitians Association of Australia call the paleo diet "potentially dangerous". There are arguments that it's too expensive, tasteless, unsustainable, time consuming and socially isolating.

And the media has also given the paleo diet, which excludes cereal grains, legumes, processed food, dairy and refined sugar, a thorough serving.

Personally, I feel many people are missing the paleo brigade's point.

Read the rest here: Paleo: Pete Evans and the truth about the diet
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

• Thank you for that Sherrie I think the last sentence sums up many people

"If people want to be close-minded that's fine - they are entitled to opinions. But let's be honest - that way of thinking didn't work out too well for the dinosaurs"

In my opinion if you say you follow the Paleo way then people think you are on some crank diet because they are not interested to look into it to see that it is a lifestyle & not a diet - I never tell anyone I follow Paleo/Primal if questioned I just say I keep away from processed junk so that leaves fresh food :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Sherrie,

We just spent the weekend away. J told his sister we would be taking our own food and not to worry about us ( she like to cater for everyone ).

At the start of the weekend everyone was teasing J for being forced to do a diet with me which means he can't drink beer. By the end of the weekend everyone was saying "Wow thats really good food, I could so live on that" etc etc. We were asked a lot of questions which we answered to the best of our abilities. We directed them to Petes site and to this one to learn more.

People don't like change especially if it is something they do not understand. Once they are introduced in a non confronting manner they can make up their own informed minds, and they will.
    • I don't follow paleo way per se I just follow my own way based on low carb with now Petes added influence mixed in such as fermented veggies etc if someone asks me what I follow I say low carb because ultimately that's what it is but it's not really a diet, I'm just eating real foods that I like :)

Ultimately, from what I can tell the paleo way is the same as doing a real food (no sweeteners or frankenfoods) low carb diet without dairy and without adding back in things like grains and legumes in later stages.

• Oh and the paleo diet itself is different depending on who you refer to. Even yesterday at the Paleo Cafe they were promoting a paleo diet of mostly lean meats, seafood and eggs then equal amounts of fruit and vegetable then smaller amounts of berries then smaller amount of nuts and seeds. That's a lot different to the paleo way which from what I can tell is high fat, moderate protein, lots of veggies and small amounts of fruit.
      Files
      • image.jpg

(328.69 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )